OD&D Edition Experience: Did/Do You Play OD&D? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About OD&D

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing it right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

GuyBoy

Hero
I was 11 when it was released, but only got to play it from 1976 (but slower to get started in UK) and absolutely loved it. Played with school friends in a club at school, but also sometimes at weekends too.
Very little can beat the magic of that first dungeon adventure, mapping, first character death etc.
Alongside rugby as the dominant leisure activity of my teens.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I've been playing it pretty regularly over the last year.

I had only ever played a few sessions at conventions with it before, although as a kid in the 80s starting out, someone gave me a copy of Supplement I: Greyhawk, so that's been part of my gaming library ever since. It added a wonderful raw-straight-from-the-vein element to the confusing mix of Mentzer, Moldvay, and 1E books I initially acquired as a hodge-podge before finally finding a regular group to play with during 2E.

Both of the DMs I've played with in the last year have added some house rules to patch gaps, of course. One is a librarian and likes to solicit feedback from the players about rules & procedures to adopt. He's approaching it in part as a historical exercise; after the campaign had been running for a year using just the 1974 rules + his house rules, he started introducing bits of Greyhawk piecemeal, each voted on by the group. We've kept d6 hit dice and weapon damage, for example, though we've allowed the Thief and a somewhat weakened version of the Paladin.

RFB Dan

Podcast host, 6-edition DM, and guy with a pulse.
I would love to play it, but frankly, up until recently the game was cost-prohibitive. I paid $300 for my white box and I got a good price on it. I'm not going to let my players who have a tendency to be slobs touch those booklets! Perhaps though with the POD & PDFs now available I may see if there is some interest....

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I played like one single sessions with Diaglo online and liked what I had seen to that point. It basically allowed both the DM and the Player maximum freedom to try whatever they wanted to try without the restrictions imposed by a rule for everything,

Greg K

Legend
I have not voted. I had been aware of OD&D for years before playing it*. It was my initial introduction to the game despite my first play experience being with Holmes in the late 70s (before switching to AD&D shortly after). I also came across a copy of OD&D in the 90s at the university bookstore. However, I, finally, played it for the first time a few years ago.

The father of a co-worker was running OD&D at a "school" for home-schooled kids of junior high and high school age where I taught some enrichment courses. He had started playing in the mid-seventies in Pasadena, CA with people at Cal-Tech and invited me to sit in for sessions when my schedule allowed. He was using the original three brown books and, if I recall correctly, specific elements from Greyhawk (the Thief and variable weapon damage)

I only played a few periodic sessions, but the experience playing with him was different than other D&D games in which I had participated. When it came to situations with yes/no possibilities (e.g. are there noticeable tracks? is there a town or village nearby? etc.) , he often rolled a die to determine the answer rather than making a decision outright. He also used several homebrew races of his own creations which is not something I had encountered in pre-3e D&D. Homebrew monsters? Yes. Modifications to combat? yes. Additional attributes like Perception? Yes. Allowing wizards to have bonus spells based on Intelligence? yes. I just never encountered a DM (myself included) that created their own races or classes for editions prior to 3e. The DMs I have known had always taken new races and classes from Dragon Magazine a third party book such as The Compleat Adventurerer (Bard Games) or Witches (Mayfair games), or TSRs 2e Complete Book of Humanoids (or whatever it was called).
In some ways, there felt to be a freedom in how the game was played with OD&D (or, maybe, it was just the DM), but I also missed the unified mechanics of WOTC D&D and the 3e skill system. Knowing what I do about OD&D, I probably would not want to run it and would use S&W or B/X. However, as a DM, I prefer 3.0 (max level 10-12) using the core books, Unearthed Arcana, some third party supplements, and a few of my own house rules. Based on a reading of 5e, I think that I would also prefer it using the free basic rules (max level 10-12), the DMG, a few elements from the SRD and PHB, some additional third party supplements, and a few personal house rules.

* My first encounter with OD&D was in sixth grade. Some of the older high school kids, whom were like big brothers, invited myself and some other kids to try a new game. As we were about to create characters, I was called by my parents for dinner. As we were eating, i was told that we were moving in a few days. Years later, I saw the white box in the university bookstore, but I had been playing AD&D for about fifteen years and did not think to buy it as a collector's item.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
There's been a surge of votes in this thread and others, since I last collected the results a couple of years ago.

I played it, and I remember liking it: +4
I played it, and didn't really like it: +1
I'm playing it right now, and so far, I like it: +1
I've never played this edition, but I'd like to: +7
I've never played this edition, or even considered it tbh: +3
I never played this edition, and I don't really want to: +10

26 new votes in the last few months, and now the number of folks who remember it fondly is equal to the number of folks who have no desire to play it at all. Strange days. I wonder if the uptick in votes is related to recent game history threads, or the "Younger Players Telling Us how Old School Gamers Played" thread?

Remove ads