OD&D Editon Experience: Did/Do you Play B/X? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About B/X D&D?

• I played it, and I didn't really like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
@lowkey13 is correct; the differences are minor but they are still there. (And the Immortal rules are just absurd.)

When I was putting this little nostalgia survey together, I had to make a choice. I could lump all four of the "basic D&D" versions together, and have readers ask "why weren't they kept separate?", or I could separate them all out individually and have readers ask "why didn't you just lump them all together?"

I went with the second option because I thought it would encourage more discussion and reminiscence of the Good Old Days of Gaming. The differences between the editions might be small, but I feel they are worth talking about and remembering. And, well, I wanted to give each "edition" of the game a fair shake, as far as survey results go...equal time in the spotlight, equal treatment in the timeline, all that.

So here we are. :cool:

Last edited:

greylurk

Explorer
I DMed it a few times. A friend of mine had a copy his brother left behind when he went off to college, and we used it to run the 1e Forgotten Realms box that I had gotten for Christmas until we could save up to buy the 2e phb

It was a fine little game. Though I didn't have much to compare it to at the time.

Votan

Explorer
I really liked it as a youngster and it played quite differently than more modern editions. I found it rather faster moving and much more suited to a teenager's mind than today's tomes. I definitely have fond memories and maybe would go back, one day, when we are not all in isolation.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
One day, I'll be able to play this version and see how it compares to my beloved BECMI. (I imagine I'll notice very few differences.)

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
What separates Moldvay Basic apart is Moldvay's writing. The clarity and quality of instruction contained within the text is some of the best in the industry. It's a game about something that tells you exactly how to play and run it.
It's a shame that Gary wasn't forced out earlier so that, perhaps, Tom Moldvay and a competent editor could have written AD&D.

Remove ads