OD&D Editon Experience: Did/Do you Play B/X? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About B/X D&D?

• I played it, and I didn't really like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I played it and loved it - it was the only thing out and the whole concept of RPGs was amazing.

Absolutely no interest in playing it today.

Badvoc

Explorer
B/X was my first RPG. A friend got it for his birthday, was disappointed it was just a couple of booklets and some weird dice and sold it to me for that week's pocket money. Bargain!

I roped in a bunch of friends to play The Keep of the Borderlands and we ended up playing for the next ten years or so across editions. Good times.

Not sure I'd want to play again in preference to 5e, other than as a nostalgia trip.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
On April 24th, I compiled the survey results and posted them in this thread. Not just the survey results; I also collected and analyzed (to the best of my ability) the comments and "nuance" I requested in the comment section as well. I have linked that survey to the OP in this thread, and in all of the other edition surveys as well.

But discussion continues, and votes are still coming in. I'm continue to collect and update the survey info, and I will be updating the summary soon. Thanks everyone for your (continued) participation! This has been a fun and enlightening exercise in the history of our hobby.

Voadam

Legend
I started out with this and played a bunch before mostly switching to AD&D.

The writing is clear and evocative and the visual design is fantastic.

When we switched over to AD&D it was really just playing B/X with AD&D bolt ons (AD&D abilities, races, classes, etc.). I don't think I really ever got into actually using the guts of the AD&D initiative system out of the 1e DMG but used the basic roll d6 and go system.

Late in 2e I came to be disillusioned with AD&D's idiosyncratic reverse bell curve for bonuses from stats and really missed the B/X small but fairly universal bonuses that were available at lower stats and really accommodated a 3d6 roll array.

I was disappointed when the Mentzer Companion set came out and found out they had crippled the thief skills, I had been looking forward to thieves coming into their own with cool new abilities at higher levels, not stretching out their poor ones over more levels.

It had the usual older D&D problems of save or dies, hp being so low to start everyone can be one shotted by anything, and Magic-users having only one shot of magic per day to start, but it was overall a very good system and a great start for my D&D experiences.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
When we switched over to AD&D it was really just playing B/X with AD&D bolt ons (AD&D abilities, races, classes, etc.). I don't think I really ever got into actually using the guts of the AD&D initiative system out of the 1e DMG but used the basic roll d6 and go system.
I'm too lazy at the moment to go back through this thread and see if Old-School Essentials has been mentioned or not. In case it hasn't, OSE is a clone of B/X that came out last fall. To me, it's far superior to Labyrinth Lord in that it's first an accurate clone, and second, features an amazing design that highlights ease of use at the table and making information as easy to find as possible.
Among the supplemental books available for OSE are a book of the AD&D classes, and some Race-as-Classes (Gnomes, Drow, Duergar, etc) in a clean, simplified BX style, and a companion volume of Druid & Illusionist spells. Coming soon is a third book of Advanced monsters as well, drawn from the MM, MM2 and Fiend Folio.
Similar to what Lab Lord did with its Advanced Edition Companion, yes, but done better, IMO. Closer to the BX feel and power curve than the AEC pulled off I think, though admittedly YMMV. For anyone wanted to add those AD&D options to a BX game, I highly recommend you check them out!

Voadam

Legend
I'm too lazy at the moment to go back through this thread and see if Old-School Essentials has been mentioned or not. In case it hasn't, OSE is a clone of B/X that came out last fall. To me, it's far superior to Labyrinth Lord in that it's first an accurate clone, and second, features an amazing design that highlights ease of use at the table and making information as easy to find as possible.
Among the supplemental books available for OSE are a book of the AD&D classes, and some Race-as-Classes (Gnomes, Drow, Duergar, etc) in a clean, simplified BX style, and a companion volume of Druid & Illusionist spells. Coming soon is a third book of Advanced monsters as well, drawn from the MM, MM2 and Fiend Folio.
Similar to what Lab Lord did with its Advanced Edition Companion, yes, but done better, IMO. Closer to the BX feel and power curve than the AEC pulled off I think, though admittedly YMMV. For anyone wanted to add those AD&D options to a BX game, I highly recommend you check them out!

Yep, from Necrotic Gnome with both free and paid versions. They put out a lot of good stuff. I was happy to grab a big batch when they were on Bundle of Holding.

CodeFlayer

Explorer
In the late 70s and early 80s when I played most local clubs seem to have taken great pride in home brew rules systems of long persistent campaigns that built on the 3 little books, and usually the Greyhawk expansion. I had to search on "B/X", and only because in those days different systems were a regular topic of conversation (much as today). Adding Basic in the thread title could perhaps help your total vote count.

Remove ads