OD&D Editon Experience: Did/Do you Play B/X? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About B/X D&D?

• I played it, and I didn't really like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That is a very insensitive thing to write. TSR was the man's life work and he was thrown out with hostile take over.
It was hardly his life's work as he was only there 11 or so years. He went on and did other things, remember? And he created the circumstances that led to the hostile takeover.

But it's a simple fact that other TSR employees and contractors - such as Tom Moldvay and J Eric Holmes - were better writers, and better-organised writers, and they were much better at collaborating with editors.

GameOgre

Adventurer
It was hardly his life's work as he was only there 11 or so years. He went on and did other things, remember? And he created the circumstances that led to the hostile takeover.

But it's a simple fact that other TSR employees and contractors - such as Tom Moldvay and J Eric Holmes - were better writers, and better-organised writers, and they were much better at collaborating with editors.

You mixed up fact and opinion again,need to work on that. Also you might want to look at the time tables on those people you mentioned and what happened to them.

Gary Gygax was in my opinion a brilliant game designer who risked a lot on what he saw as the real possibility of what this new hobby he created(with the help of others) could do and then he did what no others were willing to do, he sunk everything he had into it. All his money,all his time and effort and risked it all for what he believed in.

He did have some business sense but for sure that side of his skill set was not all it needed to be. Over time his character flaws and the character flaws of those he worked with lead to some pretty sad ends for our hobby.

Still,because of their work and risk we all have a great and growing hobby today and millions of lives were positively impacted and our world is a slightly better place to live.

Some of us knew Gary even if it was mostly on the message boards or email or the rare con we might make it to. We loved Gary and miss him. He was our friend.

He wasn't just a name in the history books. So when we read someone say "It's a shame that Gary wasn't forced out earlier so that, perhaps, Tom Moldvay and a competent editor could have written AD&D. " It's difficult to not have a knee jerk reaction and bring out fire and torch.

The man was mortal and had flaws and things he could have been better at so,it is fine to point those out if it betters our hobby to do so. Just please keep in mind those things are not said in a vacuum and many of us still mourn his loss.

teitan

Legend
Also considering it was a massive investment and he never really repeated the success of TSR after... yeah it was his life’s work and comments like that are extremely disrespectful to him and what he did accomplish. The story of TSR with and without Gygax are similar to White Wolf with and post Rein-Hagen, big heights and then a steady implosion based on bad decisions. TSR luckily was purchased by WOTC. That’s the only difference. Gygax defines D&D and it was only when they began paying lip service to him again that they’ve had success be it 3e or 5e.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Keeping it on topic, Holmes and B/X both demonstrated that D&D rules could be written cogently, clearly, and competently. That's why they are so fondly remembered.

AD&D revealed Gary's limitations as a designer - as did Cyborg Commando, Dangerous Journeys, and Lejendary Adventures. What he did have was the guts to create a new field of gaming. As a gaming entrepreneur, he broke new ground. That's what I remember about him.

But as a designer of well-written rules? That's where I will celebrate Messrs Holmes and Moldvay et al.

atanakar

Hero
Keeping it on topic, Holmes and B/X both demonstrated that D&D rules could be written cogently, clearly, and competently. That's why they are so fondly remembered.

AD&D revealed Gary's limitations as a designer - as did Cyborg Commando, Dangerous Journeys, and Lejendary Adventures. What he did have was the guts to create a new field of gaming. As a gaming entrepreneur, he broke new ground. That's what I remember about him.

But as a designer of well-written rules? That's where I will celebrate Messrs Holmes and Moldvay et al.

And yet people kept sending letters that they couldn't understand how to play the game. Mentzer had to rewrite Basic once again this time putting a strong emphasis on «how to play step by step» approach. The Mentzer's classic Red Box is the most celebrated and was in print for 8 years. Moldvay Basic lasted only two years.

Last edited:

way way back in the early days of D&D, when I didn't really know anything about the game other than "hey, these miniatures look pretty neat", I bought the old 'blue book' set to find out what it was all about, and ran in a couple of sessions. Not much later, I figured out that there was an AD&D game that was separate and a bit different and way more popular on campus, so I bought the core books and got into a gaming group.

Yonner

Explorer
This was the first version I ever played. My brother handed me the box and told me I would be running the game for him and his friends on the weekend. So I started out as a DM.
I was in love with game immediately.
During a session one player had his character cast a spell that wasn't in the rulebook. I let him know that the spell didn't exist, but he told me it did exist, in the AD&D players handbook. I was like, "Wait, there's more? And Advanced?"
We moved on to 1E soon after that. I never played B/X, only DM'd it.

Remove ads