• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eladrin, warlords, and unnecessary D&Disms

rounser

First Post
So, magic-user is generic and acceptable, and Eladrin means nothing and, because of that, has no staying power? Okay.
No.

Wizard is a better choice than magic-user, and magic-user obviously lacks staying power because it's now gone, but it's still a better choice than "eladrin" because it means something, is self-explanatory, and is generic.

And yes, eladrin doesn't mean anything to the uninitiated, in the same way that elf does, and is thus a poor choice for the core when there's perfectly good existing terms that could be adapted for the purpose with a bit of thought and a thesaurus.
*checks thread*

And the OP continues to call Warforged robots, i see...

Well, i´m out of here.
Yes, run along. Better not be late for your magic train.

Last edited:

Arcturion

First Post
Dragonblade said:
I get why people don't like Warlord as a class name. But honestly, I haven't heard any better alternatives offered. Leader just seems kind of bland to me. I guess fighter is too, but fighters is just classic since its been around for so long. I think warlord is ok.

I'm reminded of Andre Baptiste's character from Lord of War when Nicholas Cage's Yuri Orlov corrects him on the usage of the term warlord, "I prefer it my way."

Marshal seems like the most obvious replacement.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
If some dink thinks he's the leader just because he took "warlord" as his class, he should get his ass bounced out to the street.

Better if WotC avoids all that by using a more generic name.

I'd recommend "Champion" or "Stalwart" in place of "warlord".

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
moderator/
Please remember to keep things on an even keel, and keep to discussions rather than arguments; we don't want temperatures to rise too high.

Thanks

Belorin

Explorer
Eladrin is good, Drow is good, they are related to but not Elves what's so hard?
Walord on the other hand is too similar to Warlock, it makes abbreviations kinda hard especially with Wizard.
Wizard = W
Warlord = Wd, Wrd, Wld
Warlock = Wk, Wrk, Wlk

Marshal is better.

Bel

rounser

First Post
Eladrin is good, Drow is good, they are related to but not Elves what's so hard?
If drow are in there as their mirror image, then I think I'm warming to the concept, because the two words seem to work together on that level.

Still no love for warlords though.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Scarbonac said:
I'd recommend "Champion" or "Stalwart" in place of "warlord".
Champion I can see, but the last thing we need is more mangled North American pronunciations of words like stalwart. ;) You guys break "paladin", "drow", and "exalted" enough as it is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads