The book takes places in a land where Superpower are bestowed at

random these people are the Elantrians they become all shiny and they

are Imortal they create a paradise on opelon but the ten years ago the

tranfomation process changes and instead of turning into gods they turn
i
nto something similar to the undead

Gadget

Adventurer
Here is a link to the amazon page for the book: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Elantris-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/0765350378/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215123078&sr=1-1[/ame]

Here is link to the author's web page & blog: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/

Elantris was, I think, Brandon's first published novel. He has since become somewhat of a rising star in the fantasy market with his Mistborn books and, not the least, being chosen to finish The Wheel of Time series for the deceased Robert Jordan.

sckeener

First Post
Like the Elantrians, thread necromancy - raise the dead from the fire.

Sorry for the resurrection of the thread, but I just finished reading it. I'll toss in my 2 cents and say it was good. I, too, thought of making an rpg out of the book. The ending is what made me consider a rpg. The setting is very 'haves' and 'have nots' on magic. From the beginning it is thought all high magic is lost, but then here and there the cracks of it can be seen.

The book follows three main characters
  • A prince who turns into an Elantrian, fallen 'gods' who are more ghoul than man.
  • the prince's wife whom he never met
  • and a cleric set on converting the locals away from their pagan ways.

I think Brandon does a good job at making magic believable. I think his skill is in making a statement about what magic can do and then showing how that applies to all the other forms of physics. The Mistborn trilogy is where I first met Brandon. I read the first book while on vacation for my wedding. Great reads to take the mind off major events . Anyway...Elantris is no different. Elantris' magic was extremely easy to do if hard to master, but since they lived for forever, they had the time to master. Their city was essentially a modern city. After their fall, their city was a modern city with no electricity. Toss in politics and a 'Albigensian' like crusade, and Elantris makes for a good book.

Brandon says he plans on making a 2nd book to Elantris set 10 years after the first. I certainly hope he does.

Tharian

First Post
I think he could have done a better job with the name - it's hard not to think of the Hyundai Elantra. (Then again, I drive one)
That's exactly what I thought this thread was about when I first clicked on it, honestly. Was a bit surprised to see it was a raised thread from years ago about a book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads