• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Burst

Lakoda

First Post
I was going for a more melee Dark pact Warlock. I will be using close instead of ranged powers (when possible) and taking heavy armor. Not exactly an efficient build but that's not what I'm going for. Since there is not at-will close powers for the warlock I thought I'd pitch augmenting one via a feat to my DM. Before I do that, what do you all think? Too good? Too bad? Too imbalanced?

Eldritch Burst
Requirements: Eldritch Blast, Strength 13
Bonus: Your Eldritch Blast power changes to Close burst 1 and the power no longer counts as a Ranged Basic Attack but as a Melee Basic Attack. These changes are permanent as long as you posses this feat, if you retrain this feat your Eldritch Blast power returns to normal.
Eldritch Reach
Requirements: Level 11, Eldritch Burst
Bonus: Your Eldritch Blast power increases to Close burst 2.

edits:
- formatting

Basic attacks are all single target. Think about getting an opportuinity attack against a foe, then blasting him and all his friends. Then his friend provokes an opportunity attack and you blast them all again. Then another friend provokes another OA. You get to attack multiple enemies, each one multiple times in a round, even if each one didn't provoke the attack each time. Way overpowered. No basic attack targets more than one enemy.

Lakoda

First Post
I did not change the target line. It would still read one creature. In this case the one creature is burst would be implied. I suppose I should have mentioned that explicitly, but I assumed it was obvious.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Except that a burst doesn't target just one creature. In fact, it flat-out can't. You're probably better off with something like..

Eldritch Burst
Requirements
: Eldritch Blast, Constitution 13
Bonus: Your Eldritch Blast power changes to Close burst 1. These changes are permanent as long as you posses this feat, if you retrain this feat your Eldritch Blast power returns to normal.

and then..

Eldritch Claw
Requirements
: Eldritch Blast, Constitution 13
Bonus: Your Eldritch Blast power gains the option of becoming a melee basic attack deliverable by touch. It does not carry the Weapon keyword.

Still might be overpowered, but better at least.

RyvenCedrylle said:
Except that a burst doesn't target just one creature. In fact, it flat-out can't.
This is totally not true.
PHB pg. 62 said:
Healing Word
Cleric Feature
You whisper a brief prayer as divine light washes over your target, helping to mend its wounds.
Encounter (Special) * Divine, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three times per encounter.
Minor Action Close burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)
Target: You or one ally

Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.
Increase the amount of additional hit points regained to 2d6 at 6th level, 3d6 at 11th level, 4d6 at 16th level, 5d6 at 21st level, and 6d6 at 26th level.

Remove ads