• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Knight cantrips. 2 melee or 1 melee and 1 ranged?

Dausuul

Legend
My suggestion: Pick a cantrip that requires a saving throw. That gives you more versatility (and also doesn't give you disadvantage in melee). If you're facing an enemy with high AC, switching to a save-or-damage cantrip could be very effective. If not, lobbing javelins will do you fine.

If using XGtE, toll the dead is an obvious pick.

Except you trip over the fighters 3rd attack thing at level 11. If feats are allowed you can have 3 attacks and maybe a 4th via PAM or GWM or you can cast a cantrip and have 1 attack.

Depends what kind of weapon you are using. A sword-and-board EK keeps pace. 3d8 (13.5) sonic
with Booming Blade vs 1d8+5 (9.5) physical from third attack.

But, since I have never seen a character reach level 11 in 5e, it's entirely hypothetical.

Shin Okada

Explorer
IIRC sword and board EK is quite clumsy. Even with War Caster feat, he cannot cast spells with material component unless he drops a weapon. Though he can call his weapon spending a bonus action, bonus action is precious in 5e, right?

Dausuul

Legend
IIRC sword and board EK is quite clumsy. Even with War Caster feat, he cannot cast spells with material component unless he drops a weapon. Though he can call his weapon spending a bonus action, bonus action is precious in 5e, right?
Most attack cantrips don't require material components (or, in the case of green-flame blade and booming blade, the material component is the weapon you're already wielding).

For higher-level spells, yes, this can be an issue; although there is a common magic item (the ruby of the war mage) that fixes it.

Psst. Ruby of the War Mage. Xanthar's Guide. Don't tell anyone I sent you.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Psst. Ruby of the War Mage. Xanthar's Guide. Don't tell anyone I sent you.

Hmm. I guess my DM will not allow that item as Japanese edition of Xanather's Guide is not yet published.

By the way, I found that the only spell with material component which may cause "one open hand" trouble is Feather Fall.

Do you guys and ladies think he can drop his weapon as a part of reaction for casting Feather Fall? If he can, he can go for Sword and Board.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I am going to play a 8th-level Eldritch knight in a campaign which starts from September. At this level, the EK knows only 2 cantrips and 1+ level spell slots are still precious. And, since he is a typical Str/Int EK, his ranged weapon attacks are rather poor (throwing a Javelin or shooting a longbow with his poor Dex 10).

Shall I take both Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade? Or shall I take only one of them and take a ranged cantrip, say, Fire Bolt?

My current plan for 1+ level spells are,
L1- Feather Fall, Protection from Evil and good, Shield, Thunderwave
L2- Scorching Ray, Web

This is largely impacted by your roll in your group.

If your "the party tank" Booming blade on your action is a great way to make enemies stay away from your party casters and other ranged party members, you got War Magic at level 7 your getting your 5th level main hand extra attack back so the 2d8 to the target at level 11 is enough to replace the 3rd extra attack at the same level and is an extra 1d8 before. Its useful if they move, its useful if it makes them stay, and its useful if your only fighting one enemy.

If your "Party Damage" then green flame blade is also a good but it requires two enemies and is just a damage replacement. So its good fighting number of weaker enemies. (also a cool mental image, lol)

If your "supporting" another tank, green flame is working fine but if your group is fighting ranged and your dex sucks... well you I would consider taking a ranged spell. I get firebolt is strictly speaking the best you can get... however, I personally like chill touch better. It's got the same range, it looses and average of 1 damage per spell jump to a max of 4 per round, over 10 rounds that matters, but its also not your go to so your very rarely going to be at ranged for all 10 rounds reducing the damage difference. On top of that when you have enemies with healing potions, healing spells, or regeneration abilities and/or fly your party will appreciate the choice.

My pick base on your stated goals would be Booming Blade (if your the tank) OR green flame blade if your damage, taking chill touch as a ranged option that is supported by your higher Int intead of your 10 dex.

Last edited:

Hmm. I guess my DM will not allow that item as Japanese edition of Xanather's Guide is not yet published.

By the way, I found that the only spell with material component which may cause "one open hand" trouble is Feather Fall.

Do you guys and ladies think he can drop his weapon as a part of reaction for casting Feather Fall? If he can, he can go for Sword and Board.

Dropping a weapon, as opposed to sheathing it, is a free action, so yes you could drop it in order to cast Feather Fall.

If you look at the spells an EK is likely to use early on, Sword and board isn't as bad as is made out. BB and GFB have your weapon as the material component, Shield and Absorb Elements can be cast with Warcaster, or you can drop your weapon then retrieve it as a bonus action, etc. It's not until you want to start throwing Fireballs around at level 10 that you need S and M components at the same time.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted

This is a very GM dependent suggestion, but its not uncommon in campaigns for players with arcane focuses and shields to pay a blacksmith/carpenter to embed a crystal arcane focus into the hand of the shield so your holding it at ll times when your carrying your shield. this has two stipulations:

1. The shield must be mundane, doing this to a magic shield would damage the enchantment on it.

2. It only allow you to cast spell that have a non-gold value material component usable with a focus, or verbal components spells. Verbal somatic component only spells still require a free hand by stabbing dropping sheathing the sword. (we allow sheath or un-sheath once per turn so its and option, but then your reaction attack would be an unarmed strike until next round, not that bad if you have warcaster and shocking grasp though)

You could ask your GM if something like this is ok. It still has plenty of restrictions but it also allows you to use a sword and shield.

Remove ads