• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Knight cantrips. 2 melee or 1 melee and 1 ranged?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Take one cantrip that isn't combat related, like prestidigitation or mage hand so you can prove you are a real spellcaster.

I don't think an Eldritch Knight ever needs to prove they are a "real spellcaster" for two reasons.

1. They are Fighters first casters second 1/3 casters who are generally more concerned about being considered "real warriors".

2. Being real warriors in full plate, caring scary weapons... Generally if they say they are a "real caster" not many people are going to dispute it. If they say "I'm your daddy and you need go to clean your room" not many people are going argue that either … their just going to say "yes daddy" and go clean their room. I mean it was dirty anyway.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
My suggestion: Pick a cantrip that requires a saving throw. That gives you more versatility (and also doesn't give you disadvantage in melee). If you're facing an enemy with high AC, switching to a save-or-damage cantrip could be very effective. If not, lobbing javelins will do you fine.

If using XGtE, toll the dead is an obvious pick.

This is a strong idea, but disadvantage in melee is not really a concern since we are Talking about an Eldritch knight. Toll the Dead is a good option for its wisdom save and hitting higher AC (above AC15 monster average)/low wisdom targets (a really good damage spell no doubt) but doesn't add any functionally other than increased chance of damage but it also only has 60ft range (half that of chill touch) which is the main reason for taking a non-booming blade/green flame blade option to begin with. Chill Touch, stops all HP regeneration on hit and gives undead disadvantage on attacks. Undead being pretty common enemies in D&D I would take Chill touch as one of my first two cantrips (the other Booming Blade or Greene Flame Blade depending on my party roll). That said, Toll the Dead would be on my short list for the Eldritch Knight level 10 cantrip for verities sake.

Last edited:

slaughterj

Explorer
Psst. Ruby of the War Mage. Xanthar's Guide. Don't tell anyone I sent you.

Ruby of the War Mage only partially solves the problem. The ruby allows use of the weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. A spellcasting focus substitutes for a material component, and will also cover for the somatic component when a material component gets covered. However, the spellcasting focus by RAW does not cover the somatic component when there is no material component being covered by it. So you can't use the Ruby while doing sword & board to cover for Somatic or Verbal/Somatic spells, e.g., Absorb Elements, Acid Splash (and pretty much every other attack/save cantrip), Counterspell, Silence (messes up some Ranger builds), etc.

Because this seems stupid (why does it work to cover somatic with a material but not without a material?!) and otherwise would make the Ruby very limited functionality (just for use with Material component spells), we have houseruled it to work with just VS or S spells.

Remove ads