D&D 5E Eldritch Knight spells

Axel

First Post
So, last night my EK finally managed to hit level 3. I'm poring over spell selection choices and could really use some advice on where to go (and where not to go).

Solid obvious choice for cantrip is true strike. The other, I'm not so sure. Likewise the spell slots, MM and burning hands are standouts for me. Though I'm not sure about taking both at 3rd level. Dunno about the last choice.

Other information that might help - he's a human, uses a great sword and heavy armour. Large party (druid, bard, war cleric, rogue and warlock). Any and all ideas or thought bubbles most welcome!

was

Adventurer
I like Light for a cantrip. It's especially useful for a human without darkvision. I'd also think about picking up Featherfall as one of your three known at first level. It comes in handy in a lot of situations. With those two, you can spend the remainder on damaging spells. Looking at abjuration/evocation, I think Chromatic Orb is useful because you can change the damage type each time you cast. Thunderwave could be good for pushing back melee foes crowding you.

Paraxis

Explorer
True strike is not a good cantrip, it uses your action to give you advantage on one attack roll the next round, might as well just attack the first round and the second round, still two attack rolls but now both can hit and possibly crit.

Shield is a must have first level spell.

For ease of looking at the spell list sorted by school here is a cool website. http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/

Axel

First Post
Thanks for the link Paraxis. You're overlooking the 7th level ability to make an attack as a bonus action after casting a cantrip though!

I see shield nominated a few times. Is it really that good? I've had it "on" plenty of times in older games but found the duration to be less than worthwhile. I get the reaction cast and turn a hit into a miss and all that. But really? For a "metered" spell?? If it was +2AC and a cantrip I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake...

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Shield will give you +5 AC until the start of your next turn, it's the kind of spell that you wish you had when you run out of HP or when you really can't afford to get hit.

A nice tactic I saw in game, a greatsword using AK run into a crowd of hobgoblins, triggering OAs from everyone, when the first one hits he cast shield Asa reaction and now he had 23 AC until the start of his next turn, next came the wizard with a fireball centers on the fighter and the fighter having the great weapon feat, he continued to drop hobogoblins left and right :)

I think the party was 6th level...

Warder

Paraxis

Explorer
Since you cast shield after you know by how much the target hit you, it turns a hit into a miss. When dealing with heavy hitting monsters like giants it can make a huge difference.

The problem with casting true strike and then attacking as a bonus action at 7th level is you are still losing an attack. You either use the attack action to make 2 attacks, or use your action to cast true strike and then make one attack with advantage. Back to the fact you still roll twice to hit but with 2 attacks both can possibly hit and do damage.

About the only time I think true strike is worth it is during a sniper situation where you are attacking with surprise and can spend a round to buff yourself.

Prism

Explorer
True Strike doesn't work on the same round but the next so its a bit hard to get the right timing even using war magic

I would suggest getting a ranged attack with one of your cantrips to be used as an alternative to melee combat. When you get war magic you will probably find that shocking grasp plus your war magic attack is a good option against armoured opponents at least until 11th level when you get three weapon attacks

Light as always good. For 1st level spell I'd go for an area spell like burning hands or thunderwave. Maybe get shield a bit later when you have a few more spell slots

Axel

First Post
Paraxis, I think you're missing the worth of True Strike! It's best role isn't to give you advantage so much as to counter disadvantage where attacking twice will net you four fifths of SFA. Maybe our DM is just clever at manufacturing situations, but it crops up a lot (though I did score a crit with disadvantage last night, which was hilarious). Anyway... it has reasonable potential in combination with other effects like Bardic Inspiration when you're trying to hit AC35 to be considered. It's not like an EK needs melee spell attack cantrip!

Has anyone seen a mid to higher level EK in play? There is so much potential for combos etc that I'm feeling lost without enough experience in this edition yet.

Prism

Explorer
Paraxis, I think you're missing the worth of True Strike! It's best role isn't to give you advantage so much as to counter disadvantage where attacking twice will net you four fifths of SFA.

But how do you know you will be getting disadvantage next round so you can cast advantage this round?

Remove ads