D&D 5E Eldritch Knight spells

Paraxis

Explorer
But how do you know you will be getting disadvantage next round so you can cast advantage this round?

Let's say it is a situation that is pretty constant like underwater fighting.

I have disadvantage on my attacks this round and next round guaranteed because I forgot my spear.

7th level EK, I can either get 4 attacks with disadvantage over those 2 rounds taking the attack action twice, or cast true strike round one and make an attack as a bonus action at disadvantage still, then next round use attack action getting in two attacks the first normal (from true strike countering disadvantage) and second with disadvantage.

4 disadvantage attacks vs 1 normal and 2 disadvantage attacks = pretty much the same thing, so why cast true strike at all.

Now the 11th level EK in same situation can have 6 attacks at disadvantage or 1 normal and 3 with disadvantage, I would much rather take the 6 attacks every single time.

Cannyjiggit

First Post
2 cantrips the EK in my party has taken are Shocking Grasp and Ray of Frost. These are mostly for the additional effects rather than the pure damage though. She is a very similar setup to those listed above but a dwarf (hence a way of slowing the opponent down can be useful). I think the spells are Shield for its reaction cast when needed, Magic Missile for the hit certainty at range and Featherfall because she fell off a wall once (and if you don't take it at 3rd you can't get it later)

Axel

First Post
Ray of Frost looks handy for the movement penalty, and the ranged attack without swapping weapons. It's definitely in the mix!

Two votes for feather fall, but no mentions of expeditious retreat? Is concentration that difficult to maintain on a frontline melee PC? I suppose the one "free choice" spell is the one I am struggling the most with.

In your underwater example, I would've thought that instead of 3 attacks every 3 round with disadvantage and 1 normal attack every 3 rounds it would be better to keep exploiting the cantrip and attack combo for 3 normal attacks every 3 rounds? Or am I misinterpreting some of the wording?

I still like true strike for its potential in combination. Bardic inspiration is one (advantage plus the bonus die = hit!). The better hit rolls when using/abusing the heavy weapon feat (the "power attack" -5 to hit for a whopping +10 damage) means you're not just murdering kobolds even harder. It gives the feat and the spell utility against high AC and high HP solo monsters.

Prism

Explorer
Two votes for feather fall, but no mentions of expeditious retreat? Is concentration that difficult to maintain on a frontline melee PC? I suppose the one "free choice" spell is the one I am struggling the most with.

I like expeditious retreat as the 1st level free domain choice too.

In your underwater example, I would've thought that instead of 3 attacks every 3 round with disadvantage and 1 normal attack every 3 rounds it would be better to keep exploiting the cantrip and attack combo for 3 normal attacks every 3 rounds? Or am I misinterpreting some of the wording?

The advantage from True Strike doesn't occur until the round following the round you cast it. So assuming you are 7th level you can't cast it with your action and gain its benefit the same round using the war magic bonus action. Better to just attack twice per round than using it

I also think protection from evil/good is worth a look

Hereticus

First Post
Are Eldritch Knights limited to Abjuration and Evocation spells?

That's what I interpreted the opening paragraph of the sub-class as saying.

Are Arcane Tricksters limited to Enchantment and Illusion spells?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
There are certain levels at which they can learn spells from any school. Re-read the whole thing, carefully.

Hereticus

First Post
There are certain levels at which they can learn spells from any school. Re-read the whole thing, carefully.

Very limited options for first level spells (only) at 8th, 14th and 20th levels.

Most of the spells people want to select are unavailable to the Eldritch Knight.

No Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Minor Image, Poison Spray, Prestidigitation or True Strike.

No Charm Person, Color Spray, Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, False Life, Feather Fall, Find familiar, Jump, Longstrider, Silent Image, Sleep or Floating Disk (one at 8th level).

And the list goes on at higher levels (zero allowed), making the sub-class not very attractive.

Axel

First Post
That's not how I read the EK spells known. Cantrips could could come from any school. And 1 of your first 3 non-cantrips is free choice. There are a handful of other free choices through the full progression.

An Eldritch Knight is still primarily s fighter. Just with some situational casting ability. Often times you'll be in a better position for burning hands than the wizard.

Nachti

First Post
the rules are:
- you learn a total of 13 spells and 3 cantrips.
- the cantrips and spells are picked from the wizard spell list.
- the spells must to be evocation or abjuration unless they are gained at level 8,14 and 20.
- you can exchange a spell for another, which you have a spell slot for. (Yes you can change a level 1 spell for a level 3 spell)

I would pick:

Cantrips: Thaumaturgy, Chill Touch (prevents healing), Light or Ray of Frost
Defensive: Shield, Protection from Evil and Good, Stoneskin, Protection from Energy
Offensive: Fireball, Icestorm, Fireshield, Dispel Magic, Darkness, Burning Hands or Counterspell

Choices at 8,14,20: Haste, Mirror Image, Greater Invisibility

other good spells to pick: Hold Person, Slow, Ray of Enfeeblement, Fly, Heat Metal, Phantom Steed

Last edited:

Remove ads