• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic: Questions for the Designer

Kemrain

First Post
Oh, point of order WRT Create Shadow: If you create Pure Darkness will Devils, who have the ability to see in all forms of magical darkness, be able to see through it or not?

"So dark that nothing can see through it."

Did you have Devils in mind when you wrote this, or was there some other reason you wanted a category of darkness darker than the one even Darkvision can't see through?

- Kemrain the Curious.

A holdover from my love of 2nd edition, when the darkness spell was utter darkness. The absence of the ability to see. I just think it's cool that something is darker than darkness. So dark that nothing can see, regardless of what tricks it uses.

Kemrain said:
Charm spells with moderate and major efects are reduced a step on a successful save, not negated. My GM saw this and flipped out, especially when he saw Fear and Daze effects. I pointed out that you usually get a save every round, but he argued that you should only "save for half" against numeric affects, and that you should never be better off failing a save than making it: when 'held' you can take purely mental actions but when 'dazed' you can take no actions, and that seems to be a downgrade. (I realise that changing daze's definition would make half his argument moot, but...)

I actually didn't think of that. I suppose daze ought to just restrict physical actions, and also allow mental ones, but I was working from the existing definition of dazed. In most cases, being held is much worse, because people can coup de grace you, but I suppose if you're flinging spells at a psion who's standing on a balcony overhead, daze is better. If you want, it would not be unfair to change the 'dazed' effect so that it doesn't keep you from using mental actions.

I'd be grateful if you'd explain what you were intending for the Charm lists, and why they work this way (a way I don't think I've ever seen used in d20). My GM thinks we need to modify the list for our game, and knowing why you designed them the way you did could be useful in deciding how we should rule this.

If you're playing an evoker, and your opponent fails a save, they still take some damage. With charm spells, though, the core rules make them everything or nothing. If they work, they cripple your foe, often for quite a while, and if they don't work they're worthless. Just like I worked to remove most save or die effects, I wanted to make charm spells be a little more flexible in how powerful they are. At high levels you can still create spells that just leave people paralyzed or stunned for an entire combat, but at low level there's more back-and-forth. You can't just take someone out with a single spell, usually.

At high levels it's not so much of a problem, because you have allies who can dispel stuff, counter stuff, heal you, etc., so that even 'instant death'-like abilities, such as polymorphing someone into a statue, isn't that bad.

Kemrain

First Post
Thanks!

That actually makes some decent sense, when ya look at it. And, given that I just noticed the "Make your save by 5 and the spell is simply negated" clause, I think my GM might let us squeek by with a redefining of Daze and some quiet fudging of enemy spell saves. Not that he cheats or anything... Heh.
Thanks a lot for the info. It's always good to be able to ask the designer what the heck he was thinking, and get an answer that you can agree with. [Grin] Hell, any answer is a good answer, and you give 'em out fast. Muchly appreciated, RW.

- Kemrain the Brownnoser.

Kemrain

First Post
Here's one about free cantrip effects, and targeting.

If I cast a Create Shadow 1/Gen 0 spell to make my natural weapons deal 1d6 Shadow damage, can I throw in a 0MP Gloom effect for free?

Can I cast Create Shadow 1/Gen 0 on both of my swords at once, or only one of the pair? (I'd rather enchant my swords than my claws, but I'll take what I can get.)

Kemrain the Clawed Gloom.

torem13

First Post
RangerWickett,

Could you clarify how Evoke Acid's extended damage works.

Acid – Dissolve
Acid coats affected creatures and objects, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage per round. The acid eventually becomes inert, but it can also be washed off with about one gallon of water for every 5-ft. square of area. A creature
can scrape acid off itself or a comparably-sized object as a full-round action, though this usually ruins the scraping implement.
Ambient: No extra damage, just mild chemical burns.
Variable: The acid lasts 1 round for each MP spent before becoming inert.

If I spend 2 MP to get 3d6 damage for the first round, then I interpreted the above section as needing 1 MP to get an extra round of 3d6.

If not then to get the 3d6 per round, do you need 1MP for the second round and 2 MP for the 3d6 during that second round? This would bring the total to 3 MP per round past the first round for 3d6 per round.

Also, if the second condition is true, could use spend 1 MP and get an extra round of 1d6 damage?

Thanks,

Kemrain

First Post
torem13 said:
If I spend 2 MP to get 3d6 damage for the first round, then I interpreted the above section as needing 1 MP to get an extra round of 3d6.

If not then to get the 3d6 per round, do you need 1MP for the second round and 2 MP for the 3d6 during that second round? This would bring the total to 3 MP per round past the first round for 3d6 per round.

Also, if the second condition is true, could use spend 1 MP and get an extra round of 1d6 damage?
As I see it, you spend 2 MP to get 3d6 damage, and 1 extra MP to get 1d6 damage in the following round. If you payed 5 more MP, you'd deal 1d6 damage for 5 rounds.

- Kemrain the Basic.

Poor ignored thread :(

I did not want to hijack this thread.. if that is even possible.. I had a thought on a skill based variant, please look at This Thread

Of course, keep in mind that the idea is truly in the rough stage and my very well not have any merit at all :)

Thanks!

Side note, while I am not anywhere near Kemrain, whose game appears to match mine... I will be spending a couple months in the area of Fort Stewart. Any TEoM games in the area that-a-way?

torem13

First Post
Evoke Acid

Kemrain said:
As I see it, you spend 2 MP to get 3d6 damage, and 1 extra MP to get 1d6 damage in the following round. If you payed 5 more MP, you'd deal 1d6 damage for 5 rounds.

- Kemrain the Basic.
Acid – Dissolve
Acid coats affected creatures and objects, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage per round. The acid eventually becomes inert, but it can also be washed off with about one gallon of water for every 5-ft. square of area. A creature
can scrape acid off itself or a comparably-sized object as a full-round action, though this usually ruins the scraping implement.
Ambient: No extra damage, just mild chemical burns.
Variable: The acid lasts 1 round for each MP spent before becoming inert.

I would agree with you if the initial damage was 1d6, but the wording in Evoke Acid seems to suggest that you can get prolonged damage as a variable side effect and it could be interpolated that extra initial damage gives extra variable damage.

Ranger Wickett, Could you clarify how Evoke Acid Variable damage works?

Thanks,

Acid Side effect

I go with Kemrain's interpretation, altho the text is a bit vague. Perhaps a better version could be:

Acid – Dissolve
Acid coats affected creatures and objects, causing 1 point of damage per round of contact. The acid eventually becomes inert, but it can also be washed off with about one gallon of water for every 5-ft. square of area. A creature can scrape acid off itself or a comparably-sized object as a full-round action, though this usually ruins the scraping implement.

Variable: The acid bypasses 5 points of hardness for each MP spent.

This way you could have an Evoke Acid spell that gradually eats through the targets equipement without making it the most powerful Evoke list. My vote for that one is Ice :)

Remove ads