Dragonlance Elmore's 'The Four Women of Dragonlance' Painting Is Finished

Back in February I mentioned that iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore was working on a new 'Women of Dragonlance' painting. Well, it's now finished! And you can buy a print of it! http://www.larryelmore.com/store/FWOD/the-four-women-of-dragonlance

Back in February I mentioned that iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore was working on a new 'Women of Dragonlance' painting. Well, it's now finished! And you can buy a print of it!

THE FOUR WOMEN OF DRAGONLANCE.jpg

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, kind of bored /angry.

I usually really like Elmore's work, but not feeling this one.

There is nothing I like about this picture.

If someone had told me that this was an Elmore rip-off, I'd believe it. Not to criticize someone with far more artistic talent in their pinky than I will ever have, but this just isn't very good. IMO.

Dire Bare

Legend
So a trans joke and a race-baiting joke. I think you're lost dear. This isn't /pol/.
Huh?

The "Tokenesta" joke was @Paul Farquhar, not @Alzrius. And it's a joking commentary on tokenism in fantasy, that there aren't a whole lot of black characters in the genre. Marquesta Kar-Thon was one of the few black characters in the Dragonlance stories. @Paul Farquhar's comment was hardly "race-baiting". And I have no idea where you are getting an anti-trans joke from this.

EDIT: Should have clicked to the next page before replying, to enjoy the fireworks. I missed the 5-lights meme @Alzrius posted, and have no idea if it has somehow gained a trans-phobic connotation out there in the wilds of the intertubes. But even if it has, that doesn't mean that was @Alzrius' intent when posting. I've never seen him post anything remotely trans-phobic on these boards before, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Dire Bare, I can get that you didn't see what had happened. But making it official, time to let that drop.

MGibster

Legend
I'm a fan of Elmore but this particular work does nothing for me. They all look like they're standing around bored waiting for the photographer to finish taking a group photo while on vacation at a scenic state park. But that's okay, just because I'm a fan of an artist doesn't mean I have to like everything they do. It's nice to know the fantasy art I grew up with isn't entirely dead.

OK. It's static bordering on lifeless. They are in the wild but the wild is not in them. The backdrop could have been a sleepy morning bus stop for all of the foregrounded lack of vitality. Love his colors, as usual. But the composition as a whole? Nope. And I really wish it wasn't so.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, feel like I'm dumping on it, but I don't really like this painting and I can't think of any of his others that I don't like. A lot of it is Laurana - she looks ticked off, like her top half was pasted to another lower body and she's sitting on a stool. I wonder if he had to change her part-way through the painting by request of the art department, because it looks so out of place.

Kitiara looks at best bored, more like she just did the Han-dodge against a frying pan from Tika.

I agree, for some reason this painting is flat. That is the only description that I can think about that fits. Especially Skie, it's a shame but if I didn't know better I would have sworn that this would have been one of his earliest works before he became more experienced. Not to be unkind but it seem amateurish somehow.

Tike and Laurana look okay in my opinion but Kitiara just doesn't have the expected aura of power and menace.
Oh, well, this is only my opinion for what it's worth and it doesn't detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the piece.

Remove ads

Remove ads