Dragonlance Elmore's 'The Four Women of Dragonlance' Painting Is Finished

Back in February I mentioned that iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore was working on a new 'Women of Dragonlance' painting. Well, it's now finished! And you can buy a print of it! http://www.larryelmore.com/store/FWOD/the-four-women-of-dragonlance

Back in February I mentioned that iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore was working on a new 'Women of Dragonlance' painting. Well, it's now finished! And you can buy a print of it!

THE FOUR WOMEN OF DRAGONLANCE.jpg

Orius

Legend
It's not bad but the characters don't look quite right. Possibly whoever modeled for them didn't have the 80's hair to pull the look off.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not saying this is a reason at all, but I'm not even quite 50 yet, and my hands won't keep steady for very long, and my eyesight is shot, going down hill fast after I got 40. I imagine most folks have similar problems, especially as they come near 70.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's not bad but the characters don't look quite right. Possibly whoever modeled for them didn't have the 80's hair to pull the look off.

Or, more likely, there was an artistic choice to make them less '80s, to make them more appealing to a new audience.

MGibster

Legend
Or, more likely, there was an artistic choice to make them less '80s, to make them more appealing to a new audience.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of life." - Muhammad Ali

Artists are often saddled with an expectation that they continue producing the same works that made them popular in the first place. I'm not the same person I was 35 years ago and I bet Elmore has changed a bit since then. Is Elmore even capable of painting exactly the same way he was in 1988? I don't mean his motor control of technical skill just that he isn't the same person.

Ironically just finished reading the Chronicles -- the original trilogy that is -- last night. It was better than I remembered, but also clear that it was Weis & Hickman's first author gig outside of D&D modules, 'cause someone needs to teach them "show don't tell". So much potentially exciting adventure skipped over and then rehashed in a paragraph of boring exposition -- retreiving the Hammer of Kharas, the adventure at Icewall Castle, Laurana's military campaign etc all just turned into footnotes.

Good to see Elmore back but I'm not sold on this art, it's a little static and I had a hard time recognizing Laurana -- I guess I thought of her as a little more petite (elf), and shouldn't the "Golden General" wear something other than black?

Is there still a new series due out this year?

I guess it depends where in the timeline she is meant to be. I'm not sure whether she chose to wear black after Tanis died, but that could explain the color choice.
(Gasp!) Tanis dies? Which series was that? Or do you mean when she thought he was dead? I don't recall a reference to wearing black, but then I tend not to remember small details like that.

MGibster

Legend
Given that they still have inflated chests and skin-tight armour I think that failed.

Big hair was the least offensive thing about the 1980s.
I suppose standards have changed and I might be out of touch with more contemporary style, but I don't see anything particularly offensive about his "The Four Women of Dragonlance" painting.

Remove ads

Remove ads