Elven Accuracy

jbear

First Post
Seeing the elf cleric use elven accuracy in action I also agree it is a very nice ability.

Maybe she's just been lucky but every time she has rerolled she has hit...

Admittedly only lvl 3 so im sure that will balance out but at level 4 she will definitely take the feat that gives the reroll a +2.

tbk409

First Post
If I recall, it is not obvious in the PHB whether or not the player should know if they hit. We do not tell the player. For us it adds drama, and so far has never turned a hit into a miss by mistake.

Bagpuss

Legend
Seeing the elf cleric use elven accuracy in action I also agree it is a very nice ability.

Maybe she's just been lucky but every time she has rerolled she has hit...

Well I'm glad someone is having luck with it because even with the Elven Precision feat, my Elf Cleric hardly ever seems to turn a miss into a hit.

Thanee

First Post
Well I'm glad someone is having luck with it because even with the Elven Precision feat, my Elf Cleric hardly ever seems to turn a miss into a hit.

Yesterday I also had rolls like 5, ok reroll, 2. Oh well... ;)

But overall it's nice. :)

Bye
Thanee

jbear

First Post
Dang, sorry to hear about that... yes she even rerolled her missed daily Cascade Of Light and turned it into a critical which took down the boss Kobold from the DMG adventure.

I'm sure her luck can't hold out for too long... she will miss eventually... won't she????? oO''

-Avalon-

First Post
If common house rules are used, it could be very dramatic:

Elf & Party are fighting an undead solo that is extremely tough but easy to hit, and it is down to a reasonably low number of HP finally, but if it goes again, may kill 2 or more party members...

Elf needs a 5 to hit, so chances are very good that they will not miss if rerolled, so elf chooses to try again:

If rolls a miss, bah, chances were great it wouldn't happen, but it CAN happen

If rolls a second hit, no loss, still a hit

If rolls a Critical Hit, YAY!!! The Elf gets a ton of damage through!!

If rolls a critical miss... oh.... bad tidings... bad tidings indeed...

Everyone could be sitting around watching THAT die roll...

Gruns

Explorer
Second Chance

The Halfling Racial power Second Chance is worded similarly, but from the enemy's perspective. "The enemy uses the second roll, even if it's lower." The halfling in my party uses this power every single encounter, and it seems that more often than not, turns the hit into a miss.
On the flipside, he has turned hits into crits, too. In fact, mathematically you're going to get critted every 20th time you use the power. Of course Elven Accuracy has the same 5% chance of the re-roll turning into a crit. I'm not sure the "even if it's lower" clause needs to be on either this or Elven Accuracy. It would be simple, easy and clear to just say "You(or 'The enemy') must use the second roll."
Later
Gruns

Have to say that my experiences with Elven Accuracy have been pretty much down the middle. I'll agree it's nice to have for that one important shot, and I've generally used it only when my initial attack roll blew massive chunks (such as a natural 1) or if I know the encounter is pretty much over (use it or lose it as they say).

Am considering that feat that lets you get a +2 bonus on the reroll (can't recall the name and book ain't handy at the moment) to maybe help alleviate instances of the reroll being just as sucktastic as the original roll.

AbyssKnight

First Post
The Forgotten Realms Character Guide also has a feat that adds +1d4 to the reroll of Elven Accuracy [average 2.5 is better than 2] . I see no reason why it would not stack with the +2 PHB feat, either (Elven Precision). So if you wanted to spend the two feats you could have +4.5 average bonus on top of normal to hit bonus on the reroll.

Remove ads