• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elves and fluff, which elf do you prefer?

Which type of elves (fluff) do you prefer?

• Tolkien elves

Votes: 150 30.9%
  • Celtic Sidhe elves

Votes: 123 25.3%
  • DnD Sylvan elves

Votes: 111 22.8%
  • Other

Votes: 102 21.0%

Ero Gaki

First Post
I picked other. The only elves I like are Keebler Elves and Christmas elves. The Keeblers make me yummy cookies, and the Christmas Elves slave away making presents.

Pozatronic

First Post
I like the dead ones.

In the past I highly enjoyed the elves from Earthdawn. I believe they were called the Blood Wood elves (let me know if I'm wrong). I always enjoyed the fact they had thorns coming out of them.

Gothmog

First Post
Only good elf is the dead variety.

That said, I prefer the otherworldly, alien elves like the Sidhe. They don't look, act, or think like humans, and see humans as playthings at best. They are feared and reviled by other creatures, and are distinctly outside the "natural order". I portray them as such in my homebrew world (and they are not available at PCs of course), and several times the PCs have clashed with them, even setting aside disputes with a large gnoll warband to work together to escape from a haunted Fey woodland.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I definitely prefer the mythological origin for stuff like this, so I had to go with the Celtic sidhe. The elves in my setting are generally based on either the Celtic Sidhe or the Norse alfar. Drow are even called Svartalfar.

In my own homebrew, elves are actually fae instead of humanoids. Like creatures of the humanoid type, they can either be critters with class levels or choose to just gain HD as fae. For players who want a PHB elf type of character, I have a race of nymphs which are statistically close (my setting is very ancient world in tone and feel, nymphs just fit better than elves). These nymphs are the origins of druidic practice on the continent and are usually tied to specific features (specific mountains, streams, forests and the like).

Nyeshet

First Post
Other

I prefer more traditional elves:

- about 1/2 to 3/4 human height - at most

- related to the fae, so wary of Cold Iron or Iron in general

- innately magical rather than learned magical

- strong association with nature (usually woodland or hills)

- mischievious, alien beings who might aid one day only to harm the next, based on some inscrutable personal views / mores

- long lived but still mortal, wise but still prone to occasional foolishness (or seeming foolishness)

None of your options really captures this.

Fieari

Explorer
Terry Pratchett said:
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake..."
Nobody said elves were nice.
Elves are bad.
– Lords and Ladies

The Gentry all the way.

Although, to be honest, Sluggy Freelance has put a soft spot in my heart for Keebler elves.

shilsen

Adventurer
From a non-D&D source, I prefer Pratchett's elves.

From a D&D source, I prefer the Eberron ancestor-worshipping elves, divided between necromancers who bring their ancestors back from the dead so that they can deify/venerate them, and militaristic bedouin light cavalry who immerse themselves in their ancestors' spirits in battle.

Remove ads