• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elvish Names, now in Elvish letters!

orbitalfreak

First Post
Backstory:
A few months ago, I found a site on the internet, linked to from these boards. It was called Dan Smith's Fantasy Fonts for Windows, and on this site I found (amd promptly downloaded) fonts for several of JRR Tolkein's languages. Since then, I've come to enjoy learning to write in Elvish, using the "letters" known as Tengwar and Tethyr, as a way to pass the time during such periods of boredom like Chemistry 121.

I also came across a website,quenya lapseparma, that looked at a person's name, researched the origin and meaning(s) of the name, and used that to translate the name into Elvish. The link to the name database is at the bottom of the page.

For instance, my name is Matthew. From that site, we get:
MATTHEW (m.) - Heb. 'gift of God'; Eru "God"; anna "gift", thus Eruanno or Erunno
From there, it takes only a little work to write the name Eruanno in Elvish, as seen in my signature below.

Getting to the Point
Also on these boards, I found Elven/Elvish Names, Anyone Need One? (I take requests), by Angcuru. This chap decided to translate some names from English to Elvish, and did a good job of it. It is my intention to carry this a bit further, and transcribe those Elvish names using the Tengwar and Tethyr, Tolkien's Elvish "letters."

I'll be doing this over the next few days (or weeks, if demand is high! :)), so pop in some requests! Note, however, that I don't translate from English to Elvish; you'll need to get translations elsewhere. If Angcuru doesn't mind still doing translations, you could post in his thread. If not, there should be resources on-line that provide translations. Of course, it doesn't have to be in Elvish. I can write English words using the Tengwar and Tethyr without problem.

Final notes, regarding technicalities:
1) In the tradition of the Elvish languages, I have adapted and changed some of the characters to represent different sounds as necessary. My version of Elvish is a mix of Qwenya, Sindarin, and personal changes. I'll post these changes on request.
2) Elvish is a phonetic language. "phone" would become "fon" in Elvish, with the "o" being the long form of the vowel. Thus, spellings may be slightly modified to fit.
3) Format is a batch of writings in a *.pdf, but image files and *.doc files are available on request.
4) I'll try to do a batch each day or so, instead of multiple postings. I'll list the scribed words in the post. If I skip you, let me know!
5) ... not much else to say! Get those requests going!

Last edited:

Sam

First Post
OK. How'bout the following? (my family):

Samuel
April
Meagan
Jacob
Allison

If you don't want to do a bunch, don't sweat it. Just choose one.

Thanks.

orbitalfreak

First Post
Here's a batch I've already worked on, from Angcuru's thread. I'm working on typing up all the names from that thread, and hope to get all of them done. Here's the translations in the first batch:

Archer of the Woods
Cuar tel Taur

Very fast guy
Rimadanedhel

Keen eyes from a distance
Laikelee tel Haiyasse

From a very long line of noblility
Aredhel tel Iantnosse

Fair haired with brown eyes
Vanyaloske Baruelee

He who hates orcs and stuff
Edhel tel Farorqu

Master of all I survey
Tura tel Eleilya

The king of dewey folage
Aran en Olvarosse

Berry bearer
Kolindoyave

Weilder of the oaken staff
Edheltury tel Wandilnomo

Great Spy of the Forest
Ethira tel Taure

Compulsive liar pretty boy who is despised
Vanimanta tel Riemauyaquena Delothed'ilya

bearer of the meat cloak
Kolindo tel Collo en Sarpsa

No Name , New to the Bow
Essan'ner Cuwinyar

Son of the Wind
Untinu tel Sul

Heir to the Golden Bird
Chil tel Maldulin

Bringer of the Dawn
Onanoron

Hailer of the Dusk
Aayelome

Death
Gurtha

Daughter of the plaguebearer
Tinu tel Kolindolirva

Master of the Wind
Sultura

Last edited:

orbitalfreak

First Post
And for those who like a bit of flair, here's the same list, in italics. I think I'll include that in all the files, as a little bonus.

Angcuru

First Post
Nice work, my comerade in arms.:D
Why dontcha do Angcuru Melaroira for me?:cool:

Hey cool, english-elven names. Neat. Here's mine.

JEREMY: From Hebrew Yirmeyahu, "Yahu [Yahweh, Jehovah] loosens" (i.e., from the womb). Lehta means "loose, slacken" in Quenya (LEK). We change the final -a to the masculine ending -o and get Erulehto. (An attested Tolkien parallel is mentioned under KLAUS.)

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
I'd like to get my hands on the changed version of the font you did. So make with the posting!:D

Oh, and BTW, you might want to add "Letters" on the end of the thread name. It's a bit oxymoronic as it is.

orbitalfreak

First Post
Here's a new batch:

Samuel

April

Meagan -- as “mAY gun”

Jacob -- “zhAY cub” I don't have a "J" sound...

Allison

Angcuru Melaroira

Erulehto

orbitalfreak

First Post
Angcuru said:
I'd like to get my hands on the changed version of the font you did.

It's not acutally a modified font, just the sounds associated with some of the letters have been reassigned. In Appendix E, part II, of Return of the King, Tolkien describes the Elvish form of writing. It goes on to say what sounds are represented by what symbols, and notes that the Qwenya and Sindarin forms are not identical, with some sounds switched/changes. Sorta like an English "K" making a "kuh" sound, but a English-ific "K" making a "sh" sound, for instance.

This file is modified from Dan Smith's original document.

Remove ads