Empowered Mirror Image

Kyamsil

First Post
Well, it seems to me that it wouldn't be unbalanced to take the final result and multiply it by 1.5, even if that goes beyond the cap of 8 images. After all, we are talking about a 4th level spell slot, which have a range of other arcane protection spells that give you more than what 8 (or even 12) mirror images could do, for example: Fire Shield, Improved Invisibilty, Stoneskin, Minor Globe of Invulnerability... Sure that they aren't of the same sort of protection spell, but in some cases they are better than a lot of images.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
apsuman said:
I think the spirit of the feat is to take the number calculated and multiply it by 1.5.

In the case of Cure Light woulds, it is 1d8+1/caster level you take the entire result and then multiply it by 1.5.

So, Mirror Image should be the same way. First do the 1d4+X then multiply the whole number by 1.5.

And given that empower is suppose to do more than the base spell I say that limit of 8 images would be overcome by empower feat.
I'd handle it like this: 1.5 *(1d4+n) images, where (1d4+n) cannot be greater than 8.

n is of course the number of "bonus" images, depending on your level.

apsuman

First Post
bret said:

The example with Magic Missle isn't a good one, it is using 1d4+1 to create a random effect from 2-5. Instead, look at something like Shocking Grasp which gives 1d8 + 1 per caster level. If you empower it, I think it would do 1d8 * 1.5 + 1 per caster level. The caster level would not get multiplied by the Empower since it is not a random variable amount.

No offense intended here but the description is quite clear:

"An empowered spell deals half again as much damage as normal, cures half again as many hit points..."

Shocking Grasp would do (1d8 +x) * 1.5

Cure Light Wounds would do (1d8+x) * 1.5

The authors used those cure tyep spells as an example so lets look at CLW a little more closely...

We have a 1d8+1/caster level max at +5. This is VERY close to the mirror image description. We have a +y based upon caster level and we also have a max stated in the spell text. The only way the feat description can work is if the 1d8+1/caster level is calculated and THEN the total multiplied by 1.5. Also, the only way the feat descriptor to be satisfied is if after the multiplication we exceed that +5 limiation.

At least, that's how I see it.

g!

Crothian

First Post
apsuman said:

No offense intended here but the description is quite clear:

"An empowered spell deals half again as much damage as normal, cures half again as many hit points..."

Shocking Grasp would do (1d8 +x) * 1.5

Cure Light Wounds would do (1d8+x) * 1.5

The authors used those cure tyep spells as an example so lets look at CLW a little more closely...

We have a 1d8+1/caster level max at +5. This is VERY close to the mirror image description. We have a +y based upon caster level and we also have a max stated in the spell text. The only way the feat description can work is if the 1d8+1/caster level is calculated and THEN the total multiplied by 1.5. Also, the only way the feat descriptor to be satisfied is if after the multiplication we exceed that +5 limiation.

At least, that's how I see it.

g!

You're not the only one who sees it that way. I do as well.

Remove ads