EN Weekly Newsletter?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Who did all the hacks you made to the previous software? I always thought that was you... :)

All prepackaged add-ons. The clumsy attempts I made were generally the ones which broke things. I could clumsily change layout and HTML, but I can’t write message board software. :)

Edit to add: and I suppose, while I'm here, I'd better tip my hat re Southampton 4 Portsmouth 0 last week - bloody disgraceful showing by my lads!

You mistake me for my wife!

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
The current software doesn't support an automated newsletter. I'm looking for alternative options which aren't too expensive (most commerical newsletter services charge thousands for the number of newsletter subscribers we have).

I noticed that each thread can be tagged in order to activate its e-mail alerts and RSS. IF you can create a thread that only you can post, and make an easier way for readers to create alerts to it (for example choosing to receive the RSS by e-mail), you can have a newsletter of the weekly summary of news.

How about that?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I noticed that each thread can be tagged in order to activate its e-mail alerts and RSS. IF you can create a thread that only you can post, and make an easier way for readers to create alerts to it (for example choosing to receive the RSS by e-mail), you can have a newsletter of the weekly summary of news.

How about that?

The sending isn't the problem. I can physically write one each week and send it. The previous one was an automated collection of the news page articles. It's the automated collation and sending that's the issue.

At the moment, I'm considering using Darry's weekly digest as the newsletter until a better option comes along.

kunadam

Adventurer
Indeed we got something last week.
First I thought I have not re subscribed or something like that, so I'm not relieved, that it was not just me not getting the newsletter.

Thank You Morrus!

Random Axe

Explorer
I used to get this but they seem to have stopped - about when the software was brought in (I think). I can't find anywhere on my settings page to re-enable it - any ideas?

Thanks!

For myself, I have always been getting Newsletter emails from ENWorld, and they are always welcome.

However, the last few missives I have received have a formatting problem, in that the paragraph text does not wrap properly, and the graphics are pasted to the end of the paragraph instead of on their own "line". The email page stretches out to the right and I have to scroll sideways to read the whole sentence.

I wonder if this glitch can be fixed?

Thanks for everything, Darryl and Morrus.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For myself, I have always been getting Newsletter emails from ENWorld, and they are always welcome.

However, the last few missives I have received have a formatting problem, in that the paragraph text does not wrap properly, and the graphics are pasted to the end of the paragraph instead of on their own "line". The email page stretches out to the right and I have to scroll sideways to read the whole sentence.

I wonder if this glitch can be fixed?

Thanks for everything, Darryl and Morrus.
Could you show me a screenshot? They look fine to me. I’m trying to imagine what you’re describing.

Random Axe

Explorer
Here is a capture of today's email. The email message is in full-screen ( I use 1366x768 resolution), and each paragraph does not wrap where expected.
I've indicated in red where the text continues off the screen to the right, and at the bottom is my horizontal scroll bar which indicates the message is almost twice as wide as it should be.

Attachments

• email problem.jpg
    email problem.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 102

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Weird. That doesn’t happen in my email clients. I don’t rall know what I could do about that. It’s just the standard email sytem the forums send out. I can’t imagine why an email client wouldn’t wrap words to the window size.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can’t imagine why an email client wouldn’t wrap words to the window size.

@Random Axe, I can see you've got some assist on menu items on there (the 1 2 3 4 5) icons overlaying at the top corner, f'rex). What are you using to produce that? Are you using any plugins or apps that change how a window renders, or screen-reading assistive technologies?

If you are, could you turn those off and let us know how it renders?

Remove ads