• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World GameStore Closing

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Cross-post from a thread destined for closure -

Troll Wizard said:
Well so much for competition...

I'm not sure if there ever really was any competition in the vein that you imply existed. Certainly not directly for the end user/consumer, though it was true for vendors getting varying rates depending on who they used to distribute their electronic products. And it is also true that some vendors, all of whom will be paying the newly merged eTailor a larger percentage, will pass their increase on to the end user/consumer. But, since eTailors never actually buy "stock" of electronic products nor set their own prices, there was never really competition in the traditional sense as seen between, say, one brick and mortar retail outlet to another, or even online retailer who hold physical stock in warehouses.

It has been suggested by the future new conglomerate that the merger will incite an increase in sales to more than make up for the increase in the percentage but whether that will actually be the case remains to be seen. I doubt it will be the case but the decrease in the time required for the vendors to manage several outlets, with uploads and linking and PR might be worthy of a slight increase.

The telling factor, IMO, as to how truly, universally helpful this is to the vendors, in particular, is the push by the new conglomerate to require signed exclusivity agreements to receive the best rates. At present, it seems like a no-brainer since the bulk of the current so-called competition is part of the merger or becoming affiliates and folding their own storefronts, barring SJG's e23 eStore and Paizo, but the taint it leaves with me is that a handful of people just went through a couple of years of tussling over the pie wedges and, now that they have decided there is a greater benefit in working collectively, the more people they can lock into exclusivity agreements now means less likelihood that new competition will emerge.

For many vendors, myself included actually, there will be little change. If you want the publisher to receive the lion's share of the MSRP, check their website for the method they suggest you make your purchase. If you want to support EN World or RPG.Net, buy through their interface affiliate stores and they'll receive a percentage. If you're a diehard RPGNow.com-er, stick with their interface. If you prefer DTRPG, stick with their interface. Eventually, all of the RPGNow.com, DTRPG, and the affiliate interfaces will have you using the same ID and password, so it won't be any tougher to go one route or another.

As has almost always been the case in the past, the prices will likely be the same from store to store no matter which route you choose. no matter which route you choose.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Thanks, Joe, for the perspective and attendant return to economic reality.

I do appreciate that it could provide ENWorld with an avenue for continued operations.

I do fear that there will be a negative impact on the flegleling PDF market. Many PDF publishers get by on a shoesting as it is.

Urizen

First Post
trancejeremy said:
FWIW, bear in mind, AFAIK Mr. Skarka works for RPGNow. So he's not just a publisher, he's affliliated with the company.

What's your point?

All he said was "publishers set their own prices, not the store."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hackmaster said:
This merger doesn't sound like something that will benefit me in any way.

You benefit - if it means some retailer stays open. I would not be surprised if they weren't particularly stable to begin with. The pdf market is smaller than the full rpg market - a niche of a niche, so to speak - with not a whole lot of business to share around. Consolidation may have been the best plan to continue in reasonable business.

Consolidation may also mean more traffic through the place, and thus higher sales numbers for each individual seller, allowign them to continue selling at the same old prices in the long run.

All speculation, of course. My point being that one can make a credible argument for just about any scenario. Only time will tell the truth.

Treebore

First Post
Urizen said:
What's your point?

All he said was "publishers set their own prices, not the store."

The store certainly effects what price is set by the percentage they demand of the publishers sale.

Urizen

First Post
Treebore said:
The store certainly effects what price is set by the percentage they demand of the publishers sale.

It does, if you let the higher percentage dictate what you charge. The increased traffic both rpgnow and dtrpg will likely be getting should hopefully offset this.

Maybe I'm just optimistic.

In any case, it still doesn't address why trancejeremy would make that post in the first place, unless he's implying that Gareth is trying to gloss over the impact this merger will have on publishers and by proxy, the customers.

Gareth may have some affiliation with rpgnow, but as a publisher he stands to lose just as much because of the hike in percentages as any other publisher does.

Twin Rose

First Post
I'm just going to say thanks to all of you who took a moment to notice the support and service we've been giving at ENGS. Believe me, emotionally this is pretty hard on me... I had a LOT of great ideas and hard work into ENGS. In the long term, though, this is likely better for me, Twin Rose Software, and for EN WOrld as a whole.

But rest assured, you haven't heard the last of me ;)

GMSkarka

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
FWIW, bear in mind, AFAIK Mr. Skarka works for RPGNow. So he's not just a publisher, he's affliliated with the company.

That's correct -- full disclosure: I handle customer service emails for RPGNow. So not really involved in the decision-making processes at all.

I'm also the owner of Adamant Entertainment, one of the top 15 publishers at RPGNow, and we will be charged a higher rate than we are currently -- but given the increase in exposure and consumer convenience, we're expecting that the small percentage loss will be made up in increased sales volume overall. In addition, we now only have to upload product to a single site, as opposed to three, and once the new unified site launches, product management will be consolidated as well, so I'm actually viewing that as a considerable savings in my time (which, since I run this as a full-time business, has to be paid for). As such, my plans for Adamant are unchanged, and we will not be raising our prices.

Last edited:

Dark Psion

First Post
Morrus said:
No - we can't share your personal data with anyone else. You'll just use your RPGnow account for all three.

As mentioned above, your bookshelf here will stay in place.

Went to my account, to my bookshelf and it showed about 20 random books I had purchased at EnWorld Shop, but when I click MORE, it goes to the new products page.

Personally, I would prefer a list, like "View by Products Ordered" link on "My History". I really don't need a Buy option for books I already own ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dark Psion said:
Went to my account, to my bookshelf and it showed about 20 random books I had purchased at EnWorld Shop, but when I click MORE, it goes to the new products page.

Personally, I would prefer a list, like "View by Products Ordered" link on "My History". I really don't need a Buy option for books I already own ;)

A buy option? Your bookshelf doesn't have a buy option. The wishlist part above it does, obviously.

Does your bookshelf look different to mine? I've attached a screenshot of mine. It shows every product I have bought.

Attachments

• bookshelf.JPG
    bookshelf.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 133

Remove ads