Enchanter seeking to overcome Protection from X spells.

Empirate

First Post
Others have pointed this out, but here we go again: only effects that grant "ongoing control" are blocked by Protection from X. Charm Person doesn't grant ongoing control, far as I'm concerned, but others may judge this differently. Note that at least stuff like Suggestion (a great spell!) won't suffer from being blocked, since it only does its work once, not in an ongoing fashion.

Won't work. Ring of Counterspelling affects only spells cast at you, not on some random target.

Tis true. Sorry let me restate what I mean ^^

In this instance the target is a fighter/bodyguard that is an old NPC. If the NPC, as a specific target, wore the ring of counterspelling then the ring's effect would be to protect the NPC from said spell.

Empirate

First Post
Ah, I see what you mean now. It's still debatable, though, since we're not talking about the Protection from Evil spell per se, but about the angel's aura which duplicates the spell's effect. The aura is (Su), so it's not subject to counterspelling.

Sage Genesis

First Post
Hmm, I don't suppose the charmed henchman can endlessly make Will saves to resist gaining the aura's effect? You can just tell him it's in his best interests or something.

Ah, I see what you mean now. It's still debatable, though, since we're not talking about the Protection from Evil spell per se, but about the angel's aura which duplicates the spell's effect. The aura is (Su), so it's not subject to counterspelling.

Ah, I did miss that, the item would have to be custom made, really it looks like just wishing to be immune to a specific SU ability from a specific character is the way to go

Hmm, I don't suppose the charmed henchman can endlessly make Will saves to resist gaining the aura's effect? You can just tell him it's in his best interests or something.

a 1 is an auto fail on saving throws

Sage Genesis

First Post
a 1 is an auto fail on saving throws

Of course. The idea was not to stay glued to the angel and make saves every round, but just to get within his aura once "by accident" so that the angel thinks there's no way he's under mind control. And then the mind-slave can keep staying away from the angel because he claims he doesn't share his religion or he's intimidated by his presence or whatever. It's not 100% foolproof but it's better than nothing.

Then again, the really correct answer is to have a word with your DM because he let you make a character and then ruined its building blocks after the fact, which is a big no-no.

Remove ads