• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Encounters and NPC/Monster Strategy Thread

Rhenny

Adventurer
[MENTION=6788812]STXBob[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26350]Jugger[/MENTION]rulez - Thanks for adding.

Here's another based on some of the scenarios I've seen Iserith post (and some I've run in the past).

Make use of hostages or good NPCs in peril. Perhaps the group of monsters has already captured one or more NPC. They may be used as human shields or at the very least, their presence amongst the monsters makes it very hard for the party to use area of effect attacks.

If the foe has a NPC at "knife point" you can have it negotiate terms with the party. If the NPC is unconscious and at "knife point" remember any hit against it is a crit.

Then of course, the entire purpose of the encounter may just be to rescue the NPC before anything bad happens to him/her. In some cases, this may even allow the party to face far superior numbers because they don't need to defeat them all; they just need to get the NPC out of there and keep one step ahead of the foes. This could be very interesting in a situation where the party can surprise the enemy and stealth or run in to save the npc, especially if the enemy is asleep, otherwise occupied, or just plain slow (zombies in the room, oozes, shambling mounds, etc.).

Rhenny

Adventurer
One more for the thread...

Present the party with an opportunity to choose sides in a pre-existing conflict. What happens when the party comes across a fight between two groups of monsters or a monster and an NPC? Do they choose sides or just watch? This type of situation can become a combat encounter, but more importantly, it becomes a foundation for roleplaying and future campaign developments.

Add a twist...after the party helps NPC or one group of monsters...slowly over time, they learn that the NPC or monsters may not be as "good" as originally suspected. At the right moment, NPC/monsters will enact a horrible task (kill another NPC or steal something the party needs, etc.) Of course, DM can't use this one too often, but once in a while it adds to the excitement and paranoia.

To be perfectly honest, I'm a big fan of ambiguously aligned NPCs, but not all DMs/groups are. One of my favorite set of short stories is the Thieves' World/Sanctuary set of books edited by Robert Asprin. In his world, most of the NPCs are neutral. They are self-serving, survivalists just looking to make a buck or gain some power for their own sake. This type of world is pretty grim and will go against the classical heroic feel, but for some it is just what the doctor ordered. "Ambiguity...ambiguity," great for mystery and suspense, high tension.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Time for another entry...

Combine trap or other obstacle with ranged foes. In one game I ran, the party was escaping a room into a hallway. The hallway had two obvious flame jet traps (one 10' ahead, and another 20' ahead. There was a flicker of firelight coming from hidden alcoves 25' ahead. The party rogue investigated the first trap and that's when two flame skeletons stepped out from the alcoves. They could throw fire small fireballs so the rogue and others had a much tougher time than they had thought. (I think this was 8th level) and the monk decided to run right through the fire traps to engage the skeletons. It was a gamble that actually paid off since the flames only did 3d6 (1/2 damage on save).

Rhenny

Adventurer
I've had this weird desire lately to make a monster which belches out black puddings as its action each round.

Yikes. That image is amusing and disturbing at the same time.

Having such a beast in an area that has ropes and chains hanging from the ceiling and strewn across the ground, might encourage the group to try to tie/chain the creature's mouth shut before trying to dispatch it. If the creature has a long snout like an alligator it might give people the idea.

redrick

First Post
Amen, I am the worst monster general and generally send my bags of hitpoints straight into fireballs like so many lemmings.

That being said, I had a really great grind-out encounter where the last surviving NPC grabbed a PC who had just been knocked out and held a knife to her throat saying, "let me go or I slit her throat." Hugely effective end to the encounter.

In general, I'd say, do more with unconscious PCs. Take them hostage. Drag them away to eat them. Attack them to let the PCs know you're serious. Knocking a PC out should be an event that seriously changes the combat, even if it doesn't end in PC death.

dresdor

First Post
One of my favorite things to do is include something in the environment that could cause an additional challenge if utilized, or if the encounter is harder, something that could be used to the players advantage. For example (stealing these blatantly from Matt Mercer and Critical Role) they had an encounter where they were fighting some creatures around a magma pit. The players used the pit by throwing the creatures into the pit, which helped by dealing additional damage and, since one of the creatures was an acidic slime, also kept players from taking damage by attacking directly. Similarly, in another encounter, a magma river was running above the encounter area. When things went south, one of the enemies disintigrated the ceiling, leading to a timed encounter for them to flee the fortress, now filling with magma (if you don't watch Critical Role you should).

Similarly, you can have "reinforcements" statted out and ready and bring them in if the fight goes too well for the players too quickly or just bring the stats of your monsters down if the fight gets too hard. Just because you have things written down doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

Tactics! Play that 4HP Kobold like it's your own PC.

When the bodies are looted, it's probably got a pouch with 10GP in it. That's a lot to the lil guy, have him barter for his life. I know most murderhobo parties will kill it anyway, but it should give pause.

Use Actions other than Attack. Use Help and Disengage cleverly. You could even rule that a monster reduced to 0HP isn't unconscious but is bleeding out (hey, give it death saves, so they're not just auto dead). Maybe while bleeding out, if at the feet of the PC, you allow it to Help (blood soaked hands clawing desperately at the fighters legs, causing him to be distracted just enough that Snotpickle - his dearest friend - can make that stab count).

Up til now I've had a goose/gander HP apartheid - the PCs get death saves but the monsters, at 0, are dead. I've been toying with changing this, especially as they're 5th level now with all the extra attack toys.

Rhenny

Adventurer
In general, I'd say, do more with unconscious PCs. Take them hostage. Drag them away to eat them. Attack them to let the PCs know you're serious. Knocking a PC out should be an event that seriously changes the combat, even if it doesn't end in PC death.
Good one. My players cringe when a downed PC takes a hit or gets caught in an area attack. I love the idea of a monster dragging a PC away to eat him in a quiet place. That creeps me out.

Rhenny

Adventurer
One of my favorite things to do is include something in the environment that could cause an additional challenge if utilized, or if the encounter is harder, something that could be used to the players advantage. For example (stealing these blatantly from Matt Mercer and Critical Role) they had an encounter where they were fighting some creatures around a magma pit. The players used the pit by throwing the creatures into the pit, which helped by dealing additional damage and, since one of the creatures was an acidic slime, also kept players from taking damage by attacking directly. Similarly, in another encounter, a magma river was running above the encounter area. When things went south, one of the enemies disintigrated the ceiling, leading to a timed encounter for them to flee the fortress, now filling with magma (if you don't watch Critical Role you should).

Similarly, you can have "reinforcements" statted out and ready and bring them in if the fight goes too well for the players too quickly or just bring the stats of your monsters down if the fight gets too hard. Just because you have things written down doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

Yes...Critical Role is terrific. I'm still only on episode 20 so I haven't even gotten to the live stream yet. Hopefully I'll catch up. lol. Terrain features are key. In one of the D&D live streams, the DM (either Mike Mearls or Rodney Thompson at the time) actually kept cards out that reminded players of features in the room that might be ones characters could interact with. I guess the DM should do that too so that he/she remembers to use what's around the monsters to make it cool.

I love to keep a "pocket full of monsters" just in case the encounter that was supposed to be more challenging fizzles.

Remove ads