Energy Drain, one save or two?

Lord Ben

First Post
Okay, I thought I had this straight, but someone disputed the rule I thought was correct.

I've been doing energy drain like extra damage, ie if the wight or vampire spawn hits you then you gain a negative energy level or whatever they call it (automatically, as part of the attack). 24hrs later you need to make a saving throw or lose it permanently.

Now a player (and DM in another group) thought that it should be different. He figured it was a saving throw when you were hit, and another when 24hrs expired. IE, two throws in order to avoid it taking effect permanently.

Also, energy drain attacks seem awfully powerful for CR3 monsters (wight). Has anyone house-ruled them at all? I was thinking of it staying in effect until you made the saving throw (one per day) and only becoming permanent on a natural 1 on the saving throw. Any thoughts? What do you do?

dcollins

Explorer
By the existing rules, you had it correct the first time. Energy drain only requires a successful hit -- the only save is the one 24 hours later to see if it is permanent or not (DMG p. 75-76).

Tiberius

Explorer
dcollins said:
By the existing rules, you had it correct the first time. Energy drain only requires a successful hit -- the only save is the one 24 hours later to see if it is permanent or not (DMG p. 75-76).

This is true, but the wight template from Savage Species says that when it hits with a slam attack, the target must make a DC 15 Fort save to avoid receiving 2 negative levels, followed by Fort saves 24 hours later to avoid level loss. Perhaps this is a) where 3.5 is going and b) the source of their confusion.

-Tiberius

Deadguy

First Post
That's a significant change, and a notable weakening of the energy-draining undead. Not that I think they're wrong to do that, mind you. It always felt wrong that, in play, the only way to avoid the effect was not to get hit at all! (Okay, or have a negative energy protection spell on you.)

Score one for the PBI (Fighters and Barbarians) who have to stand in the front line and get mashed by those Undead bastards! :D

Remove ads