D&D 5E Enhancing "Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus"

Reynard

Legend
We had our Session 0 Wednesday night and the players decided they wanted to bend toward Good characters motivated to save Elturel, but not be agents of that city itself. So instead they all threaded cult activity through their individual backstories, which is what brought them together and is what will motivate them to do the initial Baldur's Gate bits of the adventure. By the time they get to the bottom of things they will be invested enough to go ahead and step into Avernus.

One thing I need to figure out before then is what to do about Lulu. I DESPISE cutesy, especially in my D&D. I need to change the character into something else, something tragic or weird or anything but cutesy. I am thinking that instead Lulu IS Zariel's sword but just doesnt remember (that's how they hid it) and now takes the form of a minor archon that thinks it was Zariel's page or squire.

I am going to play it that the Cult of the Dead Three will be an unknown until the group finds them. I like adding a little more mystery to the game.

What was the point of Mordenkainen being in the module? It seems the encounter him is entirely superfluous... was it just for the name drop?

I see no point in having this encounter, so I am removing it in its entirety.

I kind of got the same vibe as well. It's just fan service dropped in. I'dve preferred someone else if they wanted to have some sort of cameo. His inclusion in Barovia was entertaining, and actually made sense. Here it is just...odd.

Weiley31

Legend
One enhancement I'm doing is making the Unicorn Mooncolor a UA Sidekick for the party. I have to decide Warrior or Spellcaster though. Also the Shield of The Hidden Lord will "fill" the role of Lulu(kinda) for an evil party.

I wanted to just straight to Tier 2 for the kick off for two reasons. We are playing adventurers league and there are loads of tier one games available locally but not much T2 and above. This provided an opportunity for players to bring their level 4 PCs and get down into T2-4.

I also used a more fleshed out scenario when our tempest priestess Aasimar hit level 5.
I had the aasimar of Valkur (forgotten Realms exarch of Tempus) arrive and 'bless' the PC, inducting her into the ranks of the Valkuri (a phrase coined for winged warrior followers of Valkur).
listen at the 56 min mark here:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I have posted my notes in a separate thread detailing how I plan to convert the start of the adventure to take place in Ravnica instead of Baldur's Gate. Find it here:

Remove ads