D&D 5E Enhancing "Storm King's Thunder"

I love the idea of Noanar's Hold and all, but I don't think it is worth the trouble.

I'll make them minions for a Necromancer lich that is part of one of my PCs background and story ;)
I creeped my players out so much with Noanar's Hold (mysterious mist appearing unnaturally, shadowy figures on horseback in the fog) that they simply barricaded themselves into their rooms at the inn that night and high-tailed it out of there the next morning. :D

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Motorskills

Explorer
I don't mind the trouble, it's part of the reason for running it that way, so I (and the other players) get to see these kind of classes in play. Modified statblocks is essentially what I will end up using anyway, certainly not full-on character sheets.

But I do take note of the warning about letting the fight get away from me, or even just bogged down.

I love the idea of making the place super creepy after dark, I reckon I will get to break out a couple of Will O' The Wisps! :)

When they get more into the wilds, and run into the various Uthgardt tribes, I will be using modified statblocks for some of the tribesmen. The "sergeants" will employ the appropriate Barbarian totem powers as described in SKT and SCAG.
I will use the MM info for standard tribesmen and berserkers.

Daern

Explorer
Session 4 tonight. Super fun. Started in the aftermath of the battle of Triboar. They have alot of options now. Many quests offered. They have met Harshnag. They have been told about the missing King of the Storm giants; they suspect dragons. We have the map pinned to the wall. They debate where they want to go next. Tonight they decided to hit the libraries and sages of Waterdeep, then travel to Everlund. Along the way they ambushed 5 fire giants, which almost turned out for the worse. Three characters down at one point. They are an average of level 9...

wwanno

First Post
It would be really good to edit the very 1st post with the ideas of the DMs divided by chapters.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

fredlove

First Post
The party I'm running is currently exploring the Savage Frontier. They made it to Bargewright Inn, a Zhentarim stronghold. I had Kella Darkhope lure the party into Old Bargewright, where they were ambushed by the Vampire Aric Stillmarsh. One PC dropped quickly, then the rest of the PCs, realizing they were in over their heads, adjusted their tactics and escaped with their skins intact.

Harshnag is up next.

Incidentally, I wrote up my notes from the Womford/Bargewright Inn adventure and put it on the DM's Guild for free. Would love to hear what you guys think of it. It's only four pages, and you'd be doing me a big favor if you gave me some thoughtful feedback.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203870/The-Womford-Bat--A-FivePage-Module

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Not sure if anyone else has realised this or come across this problem but it came up with my group after Bryn Shander where Markham Southwell says he'll reward the PC's substantively if they bring him the heads of giants. The group immediately said that was a ridiculous and unreasonable request given the size of the heads, lol. They instead negotiated to bring a set of eyes for the reward :D

Creamsteak

Explorer
So I'm running this game here in PbP, but also one IRL game and one Roll20 game. To shake things up for both my groups and myself I've changed some things.

One group seems to be really into finding Artus Cimber so I'm veering that way.

In the Roll20 group I decided to kinda reverse the module so they're kinda "bad guys" or at least not clearly "good guys" fighting to stop "bad giants." They started off essentially taking part in assassinating the cloud giant in the wizard-hat tower. Somehow they picked up a hill giant follower, so she's acting as my Harshnag for that group, though obviously different. That made it occur to me that perhaps the game would have worked a tiny bit better if each giant faction had a party-aligned NPC to throw at them depending on their path.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases