D&D 5E Enhancing Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos (+)

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

I note there hasn't been much chatter about the Strixhaven book or its adventure since it came out over a year ago. Because I am intending to use it as a frame for an upcoming campaign, I thought I'd start a thread on enhancing the adventure that comes with the book.

For starters, I'm aware that many people have described the adventure as "bare bones". I'd have to agree. So one of my goals is to fill out the school years with other short adventures. Some might just be roleplaying encounters, while others might be whole other adventures cut-and-pasted in. For instance, with a major focus on the Biblioplex library at the heart of the Strixhaven campus, I think it would be super easy to port over any number of the Candlekeep Mysteries adventures.

I also think it would be easy to port over some of the Radiant Citadel adventures. Since so many of those open with a festival, I think it would be super easy to just say that the student PCs are heading over to X community to check out their local Mardi Gras during a term break or over a long weekend or whatever.

I might also try to splice in some other short adventures as I see fit.

One other thing I'm going to do is throw out the map of the Biblioplex that is supplied in the adventure. Based on both the interior and exterior art of the library, as well as the introductory description of it in the book, that map does not come anywhere near doing the place justice. It's just way too small and pedestrian. I'm going to treat it as something of an extradimensional space where the inside is bigger than the outside (like the Library of Unseen University) and just run all scenarios and encounters in there via theater of the mind.

Anyone else got any suggestions for fleshing out the bones of the Curriculum of Chaos adventure?

Dropping in short adventures is the way I would go too. "The Golden Vault Club" would make an interesting extracurricular.

I would also consider dropping Stryxhaven into another setting. With a bit of tweaking it could substitute for Arcanix (Eberron), The Chrystal Chateau (described in Call of the Netherdeep) or the Hosttower of the Arcane (FR). It could even be dropped into Ravenloft or a post-war Krynn.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
With a bit of tweaking it could substitute for Arcanix (Eberron)
I was considering that one in particular because I do like Eberron. (As an aside, I note that Keith Baker proposed placing it either in Argonessen or on the plane of Thelanis rather than as a substitute for Arcanix.)

However, I think I will stick with the default setting of Arcavios because that leaves me with lots of room to make up my own lore and locations and the like.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I made massive changes to Strixhaven:
  • Ignored most of the adventure, which I thought was very weak, and instead repurposed it as a settings book
  • The BBEG in the adventure is not the main villain after all
  • Instead of stretching out the adventure last a few years, it was only a couple weeks. Game play was daily, broken by morning, lunch, afternoon and evening/night
  • In my case, the PCs were just pretending to be students, like 21 Jump Street, trying to solve a mystery plaguing the campus

pukunui

Legend
I made massive changes to Strixhaven:
  • Ignored most of the adventure, which I thought was very weak, and instead repurposed it as a settings book
It is weak, but for me, the weakness is only really that there's not very much there to do. That's why I want to sprinkle in a whole lot of other short adventures to really fill it out more. I'm fine with having the school parts be a thin veneer because I'm not sure I or any of my players really want to revisit our school days in that much detail.

• The BBEG in the adventure is not the main villain after all
I will admit that Murgaxor is a rather pale imitation of Voldemort. I've been thinking about reworking him.

• Instead of stretching out the adventure last a few years, it was only a couple weeks. Game play was daily, broken by morning, lunch, afternoon and evening/night
I'm actually quite happy to finally have an adventure that takes place over several years instead of having the PCs rocket up the levels in just a matter of weeks.

• In my case, the PCs were just pretending to be students, like 21 Jump Street, trying to solve a mystery plaguing the campus
Interesting. I'm definitely going with the PCs are actual students, though.

Thanks for your input! :)

pukunui

Legend
I've just finished reading through "The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces" from Candlekeep Mysteries. I think I could run this as an escape room type of adventure. I'd dispense with the initial book and the missing sage and just say that the PCs voluntarily enter with the knowledge that they won't be able to get out until they solve the puzzle. That should work well enough and fits the theme of something fun that student PCs might get up to on a weekend or during a break.

pukunui

Legend
I think I can run "Mazfroth's Mighty Digressions" pretty much as written. One (or more) of the PCs can be researching something for class in the Biblioplex when the book they're reading attacks them. I'll file the serial numbers off Baldur's Gate and all will be well.

Not gonna bother with "Book of the Raven", so the next one to review will be "A Deep and Creeping Darkness".

EDIT: I think I can run Darkness just fine with minimal changes.

Also gonna skip “Shemshime’s Bedtime Rhyme” as it’s railroady rubbish.

“The Price of Beauty” is fun. I could either make it so someone the PCs know has gone missing at the spa or else they’ve just decided to visit for fun.

I’ll be skipping the “Book of Cylinders” since it got butchered in editing.

Next up is “Sarah of Yellowcrest Manor”.

Last edited:

I reckon Shemshime’s Bedtime Rhyme is one of the more interesting adventures, a character based horror piece, and one that would be easy to relocate to Stryxhaven without modification. I mean, they are all pretty railroady, they don't have enough pages to allow for branches! I made the "accept the sidequest?" hook the main decision point. A Deep and Creeping Darkness and Sarah of Yellowcrest Manor are pretty dull.

I've run The Price of Beauty. This turned into a mass brawl in the lobby, then a chase around the grounds. The trouble is the bosses are weaksauce because hag covens can't use their special powers unless all three are together, something my players are well aware of, and exploit by taking out one in the first round of combat.

The Lure of Lurue is really really railroady, just being a series of preset encounters. Although, it really gives the sense of "playing through a novel"! It's also tied to FR lore, so probably not a good fit.

Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion I haven't run, but should be a good fit for Stryxhaven.

The Curious Tale of Wisteria Vale I ran, nearly resulted in a TPK!

The Canopic Being I've run, it's probably not a good fit in terms of narrative. Weak boss.

The Scrivener’s Tale: My players avoided the plot hook for this, so it didn't happen. They are pretty paranoid about touching anything. Should fit narratively into Stryxhaven though.

Alkazaar’s Appendix. Ran this, it's average. Past the level range of Strxhaven though.

Xanthoria: This one really needs to be expanded to epic proportions in order to work - could form the basis of a sequel.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I reckon Shemshime’s Bedtime Rhyme is one of the more interesting adventures, a character based horror piece, and one that would be easy to relocate to Stryxhaven without modification. I mean, they are all pretty railroady, they don't have enough pages to allow for branches! I made the "accept the sidequest?" hook the main decision point. A Deep and Creeping Darkness and Sarah of Yellowcrest Manor are pretty dull.

I've run The Price of Beauty. This turned into a mass brawl in the lobby, then a chase around the grounds. The trouble is the bosses are weaksauce because hag covens can't use their special powers unless all three are together, something my players are well aware of, and exploit by taking out one in the first round of combat.
I agree that Darkness is fairly dull, but I really like Yellowcrest Manor. The problem with Shemshime's is it reads like a video game script and, as such, it doesn't give the players much (if any) agency. I'll re-read it again, though.

Good to know about Price of Beauty. I'll keep that in mind if/when I run it.

The problem with Shemshime's is it reads like a video game script and, as such, it doesn't give the players much (if any) agency.
It depends on your players. They need to be up for roleplaying cracking under the strain, so they are "fighting" each other. YMMV

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases