• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ennie-ness of ENworld

Again, it's how much bias you are willing to accept. The whole thing is subjective. Saying there is no bias is quite frankly ridiculous, saying there's no MEANINGFUl bias is certainly legitimate.
What can be less biased than "anyone who wants to enter anything, may do so." There was no marketing literature submitted with the entries. With the Oscars, the studios do send out marketing literature (and sometimes gifts) with every specially pressed DVD to sway the nominations. The RPG publishers do not do that in any way, shape or form.

If that doesn't sway you, answer this: what would do differently to reduce bias?

Herschel

Adventurer
I don't think they can reduce bias enough in any practical way to make me care. I will also grant you there is more bias in Academy Awards Nominations (and I'd say much more). The system as-is works for the majority of people, it just doesn't work for me.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I don't think they can reduce bias enough in any practical way to make me care.
Then why do you? Why did you even post on this thread? The very first thing you said was about fanbois (and using that spelling, just, ugh), and then you kept escalating it up to the point where you've now managed to insult everyone connected to the event.

Herschel

Adventurer
My original post wasn't worded very well. I should have elaborated more there and worded it differently.

Anyone insulted by anything I wrote after that is on them. People were upset, I explained why I feel the way I feel but some will continue to be upset regardless of anything posted because their mind is made up, so I'll leave it here.

kinetic

First Post
Hey, C.W., a question for you: Do any of the judges regularly post at Circvs, RPG Haven, or Story-Games?

I ask because I wonder if perhaps the ENnies have missed some opportunities to keep people engaged. Not just here, but this place does make a good case study.

I post fairly regularly at RPG Haven, but I'm kind of a forum recluse. My highest post count is on RPGnet and the only reason I first created an account there was to start a trade thread. I read a lot of discussions but I don't contribute to them very often because nine times out of ten someone else will say/has said what I wanted to and word it far better than I ever could. I've started to be more active on some sites but still find myself being pretty quiet most of the time.

Circvs, ENWorld and Story-Games I don't post on very regularly at all. I read stuff on these sites but I just don't jump in on the discussions. I was told that it was surprising to hear that there are people out there who read the boards even if they're not registered, but the only reason I would ever register on a board is if I had something to say or if I couldn't see the topic without an account.

Pramas

Explorer
Don't you try your trolling tricks here Pramas! You just want to drag this thread off topic! Why, the thread is even entitled "ten guys try to argue against a clearly illogical argument with logic." Next season, it'll be a series on Fox!

Well clearly my skill check to bring this back on topic failed...

On Puget Sound

First Post
Being contemptuously dismissive of popular things makes some people feel cool, 1337 or otherwise superior. You see it in music, fashion, movies, just about every field. For these people, it's not enough to say "I'm not interested in awards , ratings or surveys; I decide what I like without those inputs". Instead, they have to belittle the awards, ratings or surveys to emphasize how much more enlightened they are than the masses who slavishly follow them.

For example, instead of simply bypassing a thread whose title clearly indicates Ennies are being discussed, they feel compelled to drop into that thread to mention how useless the Ennie nominations list is to them, and to do so in insulting and belittling language, then profess surprise that anyone has taken offense and claim that if they are insulted, "it's on them". I am impressed with how politely people's calls for Herschel to back up his insults with facts have been phrased.

Here's the original line:
And I glanced at the nominee list and it looked like a Pathfinder fanboi list with some other stuff thrown in and promptly went elsewhere.

This goes well beyond "I don't care about awards" and deep into the territory of "your list sucked". Since then, Herschel has been trying to pretend he actually said something else.

Last edited:

Remove ads