Ennies Ceremony: How should nominees dress?

How should Ennie Nominees dress for the ceremony?

• Formal

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Semi-Formal

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Casual-Work

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Casual

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Retro (80s, 70s, please post a response and why)

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Poll closed .
diaglo said:
how are clothes from the 80s and 70s Retro. i wear mine still. i wasn't in fashion then. so am i now?:confused:
Y'know, 80s retro has something going for it too -- you get a big hair wig, tight tiger-stripe pants and a torn "net" shirt, and I bet folks think you're pretty darn cool at the ENnies.

Apok

First Post
Xeoble said:
Ain't nuttin as dope as a Zoot Suit :cool:

I second this motion.

Joker purple, baby, Joker purple. :D :cool:

Style%20B-Color16.jpg

Last edited:

Twin Rose

First Post
TRS_Chris: Any official stance on how EN Pub wants us to dress? lol.
HellHound: 70's retro, Fros NOT optional.

Well, now we have our answer! (I believe this was a joke.)

Last edited:

Twin Rose said:
TRS_Chris: Any official stance on how EN Pub wants us to dress? lol.
HellHound: 70's retro, Fros NOT optional.

Well, now we have our answer! (I believe this was a joke.)

I am soooooo in trouble.... i have problems growing a bald spot, moretheless a Fro.

Hrm... hair club for men.......

Actually, the Hair Club for Men sounds like some sort of twisted magic item. :D

joe b.

Agback

Explorer
G'day

Why 1970s retro? Why not 1870s retro? Or even 1770s retro?

'Formal' would suggest a velvet frock coat, flowered waistcoat, lace ruffles, black satin breeches, striped stockings, and pumps with jewelled buckles. That might be a bit over the top. I think you'd be alright in a tailcoat of Bath superfine, with a plain cravat and no ruffles, biscuit-coloured breeches, clocked stockings, and shoes with plain gold buckles. That's why I voted 'semi-formal'.

Not that there's anything wrong with the 'Tombstone' look, either.

Regards,

Agback

EDITED: typo in the word 't eh'.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Teflon Billy said:
I think any occasion for which you have some measure of respect (Wedding, awards ceremony, parent's birthday, anniversary etc.) means that a change in your normal, everyday dressing patterns is needed.

As for the "doesn't affect the business" argument, If one person thinks you look like a lazy clown because you didn't bother to tidy yourself up for a special event, that's one person too many (and hiding behind "I won't be judged by my appearance"--while certainly a good example of High-School level iconoclasm--is in this day and age, in this culture, incorrect. You are judged by your apperance.)

I'm not going to wear a tux, but come on! Baggy shorts, sandals w/socks and a crappy t-shirt is just a bad Idea in general. It (along with ponytail/goatee/trenchcoat/anime shirt in colder weather) is what people are talking about when they are talking about "Awful Gamer Stereotype".

You know the stereotype: the one everyone decries as having no basis in fact? That one.

Anyway. It's a free country, dress as you will.

I often joke that TB is either somehow monitoring my thoughts or is, in fact, my long-lost twin. This post once again points up why I say that - I totally agree with everything he says here.

In life, we wear different hats - that is, our way of interacting with the world differs according to circumstance. Not only is that normal, but it is healthy. We easily shift our way of thinking when put into different situations - the way we act at work is often very different from the way we act at home, for example. I'm all for individual expression, but changing the way one dresses for a particular function is an indication to both ourselves and to others that we realize the significance of what we are attending. If a function is special to us, it should be reflected, in my opinion, in the way we present ourselves, in both demeanor and dress.

That isn't to say that I think everyone should dress for the ENnies. It all depends on how important they are to you. If you wish to go casual - OK. It indicates that you view them casually, and likely place no great import upon them. There isn't anything wrong with that. Others may place greater importance on the awards, and I imagine that will be reflected in how they dress and act. It's a visible signal that "hey, this is a big deal to me." And that's OK too. Personally, I like the latter approach.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Jeans that look new and a shirt that looks sort of new. No sweat stains, no rips, and make sure it fits your body.

Basically, don't look like a bum. Casual in the stereotypical gamer crowd can be something... well, let's just say you've got a 50% miss chance since the non stereotypical gamer will be averting their eyes :D

Rav

Remove ads