• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENWorld, what is best in d20 modern?

Psion

Adventurer
Okay, we've had this thread before, but as the question has been mentioned in another thread, let's have it again.

The rules:
  1. List 5 or less products.
  2. These are d20 modern products. For this purpose, let's say it has to have the "requires use of d20 modern by wizards of the coast" blurb on the cover.
  3. A few publishers hang around here, but in addition to pimping, it'd be nice to hear what you think about your peers' products. So say, do at least half (2-3) of your nominations on something you didn't contribute to yourself (or your company, if you aren't a freelancer.)
  4. WotC puts out some nice stuff, but it would be nice to hear about the lesser known parties. Say no more that 3 of your 5 may be wotc votes. And no votes for the d20 modern core book - we can assume that one. ;)

Sound good? Okay, go!

Psion

Adventurer
Okay, noone else is going to post one... I'll post mine.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order

• Menace Manual (WotC) - Stuffed with organizations, creatures, and plot ideas, this is a decks out oppositon resource for d20 modern.
  • Blood & Fists - Martial Arts goodness, modeling a wide variety of styles for a large vareity of character ideas.
  • Second World Sourcebook - Okay, this is partly a D&D support book, but it makes a good basis for a "crossworld fantasy" sort of game. I also really dig the warden magic system and pact system.
  • Dawning Star - A nice Earth 2 / Serenity type fantasy setting for d20 modern
  • Psychics Handbook - A nice skill based psionic system. I do not think its a neat fit for fantasy, but think it slots nicely in modern/future.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Okay, none of my own books and, in order to one-up Psion (since he's already got some books on my list), I'll try to include links (to ENWorld stores if possible!). List in no particular order.

d20 Modern Menace Manual
Last Rights of the Black Guard
Sidewinder: Recoiled
Blood and Fists
Etherscope

I don't think Etherscope technically has the blurb on the cover -- but I figure that it, like the others in the list, has stuff that you can find useful in a d20 Modern campaign.

Now that I look at my list, it might be fun to run a Shanghai Noon sort of campaign crossing Sidewinder, Etherscope, and Blood and Fists (with the Hong Kong supplement).

C. Baize

First Post
That's pretty tough... Let's see...

In absolutely no order:

Blood and Vigilance (RPGObjects) - The best D20 (any) Modern (specific) write up for super heroes. Hands down. The power points are elegant and yet oh so simple. Origins are awesome, and if you wanted to increase the power level slightly in a D20 Modern game not utilizing Supers, you can give the PCs the Advanced Training origin. Or even a super badass NPC.

Modern Players Companion (The Game Mechanics) - New feats, talent trees, and those oh so yummy equipment packages. A nearly indispensible must-have for any D20 Modern group.

Year of the Zombie (UKGPublishing) - An incredible zombie apocalypse game for D20 Modern. Not just like every other zombie game, this one adds several zombie templates, feral kids, rednecks, slavers, and military materiel. Get it, own it, love it, play it.

Blood and Circuits (RPGObjects) - If you have a techie sort of PC, this is a great resource. Changes the "Ooh! I made my Craft (spiffystuff) check! It's created." Into something quite a lot more plausible. Instead of pass/fail, the character creates things over a period of time, and they have bugs that must be fixed.

Sidewinder Recoiled (Doghouse Rules) - D20 Modern in the old west. No FX, no computers, no shadow races; just you, your smokewagon, and your pardners. If you have any sort of hankering to run an old west game, get this and just bask in the saddle sittin' goodness.

Psion

Adventurer
2WS-Steve said:
I'm going to add more to my list!

You naughty boy!

What's the deal with that one? What's good about it? I've seen it before but the ad copy sent out alarm signals. "Are you tired of psionics breaking my game?" Why, no. But if you do, are you really someone I trust writing rules...

2WS-Steve

First Post
Psion said:
What's the deal with that one? What's good about it? I've seen it before but the ad copy sent out alarm signals. "Are you tired of psionics breaking my game?" Why, no. But if you do, are you really someone I trust writing rules...

Psihammer could use some editing, but I like the approach to psionics -- very comic book-y or even Rifts-y (noun + y makes anything an adjective).

You've got stuff like Forcers, Sixsensers, Shifters, and so on. You pick up powers via feats -- which are pretty much better than any other feat in the game, thus the concern about playtesting...

But I thought it might serve well after some house rules.

Part of its appeal to me is that it comes closer to the Scanners kind of psionics I'd like to see. A well-designed system like that, perhaps similar to the old PsiWolrd rules or GURPS 3e Psionics, would be something I'd really like.

Both GR's Psychic Handbook and Alea Publishing's Mindcraft were nicely done, but felt less gritty technical psi, and more mystical psychic to me.

Armistice

First Post
See, this is why I asked in the other thread, of these, I own: Blood & Fists, Modern Menace Manual, Modern Player's Companion, Elements of Magic (not mythic earth). What are the other 'wow this is pretty good' offerings.

To contribute, I'll add d20 Modern's Urban Arcana to the list, it is a pretty slick book.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
In no particular order:

Darwin's World 2: This is everything that Gamma World D20 should have been.

Dawning Star: The best D20 Modern/Future setting on the market.

Menance Manual: One of the best creature/villain books out there.

Sidewinder Recoiled: Western gaming done right.

Year of the Zombie: Zombie Apocalypse with the kid's gloves off.

There are a lot more products I could mention from Ronin Arts, The Game Mechanics, RPGObjects, LPJDesigns, and so on, but these would be my favorite 5.

Turanil

First Post
In no particular order:

Menace Manual (WotC d20M monster book, excellent investment)
Darwin's World 2 PHB (especially the very last version)
Blood & Relics

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads