Epic Cinematic (Recruiting)

Zoycitenega

First Post
Finally coming back to this site after a lot of real - life drama, this game has really caught my eye. I've got a character idea coming together, but I would like to know whether or not you're ok with sentient weapons .

[sblock=Hail]Human Swashbuckler 3 / Monk(UA - Passive Way) 2 / Wizard 2 / Dervish 10 / Tempest 5 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Invisible Blade 5
HP: 1565
AC: 10 + 8(dex) + 8(wis) + 5(int) + 3(derv) + 3 (tempest, 2 wpn) +5 (Defl) +11(mage armor, greater) = 53
BS Atk = 28/23/18/13/8/3

223+90=313*5 = 1565

Str 12+1
Dex 18+2(+6) = 26(+8)
Con 16
Int 18+2(+6) = 26(+8)
Wis 18+2(+6) = 26(+8)
Cha 8

Complete Warrior: Swashbuckler (11), Dervish(25), Invisible Blade(44)
Complete Adventurer: Tempest(81)
Unearthed Arcana: Passive Way monk variant(52)
Complete Arcane: Abjurant Champion()

Spendage:
Head - Circlet of Intellect +6(36)
Face -
Neck - Amulet of Wisdom +6(36)
Shoulders -
Torso -
Robes -
Waist -
Arms -
Gloves - Gloves of Dexterity +6(36)
Boots -

Ring 1 - Deflection +5(50)
Ring 2 -

Dagger 1 -
Dagger 2 -

Current cost = 158,000/10,000,000[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Also, I'd like to say that as far as game balance goes, my character is about as powerful as a lvl 30 ought to be, if you trust the ELH. How do I know this? By looking at CR ~30 monsters in the ELH.

The following two examples are not taking the X5 hp into account, b/c that's something unique to the campaign, not the character, putting my HP at just under 600.
[sblock=Adult Force Dragon, CR 31: ]
AC 64 (I'd need a 9 on my FIRST attack before adding in any additive abilities. A 6 when frenzying and flurrying. An 11 on my second round of attacks). plus I have a 20% miss chance. Frenzy/flurry, I average 4 hits, (maybe 3 with the miss chance)
Attack Bonus: +61 - He'd need a 12 to hit me when I'm frenzying (10 with secondary attacks assuming Multiattack). not unreachable (And this is before any of the dragon's feats are spent). He probably connects with 2-3 a round.
avg Damage: 34 bite, 19 claws, 17 wings, 39 tail slap. He'd need to hit me about 25 times to kill me, meaning 10 rounds.
HP: ~877. Frenzying, I'd need to hit him ~26 to kill him (Avg of 6/7 rounds)

So not taking into account the dragons spellcasting, feats(Minus multiattack), epic feats, or any possible equipment it may have, I win, though I'd be more than half dead.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Elder Titan, CR 30]
AC: 58 I could reliably hit it while frenzying and flurrying (connecting with an avg of 5 attacks)
Attack bonus: 87-72 It can't miss me unless it power attacks, hitting reliably with 4 attacks a round. Even power attacking, it has a hard time to miss me when I Frenzy.
Damage: avg 44/hit. He'd have to hit me 14 times to kill me.
HP: 1,015. I'd have to hit it over 30 times to kill it.

So, assuming 'averages', and assuming it doens't use any of it's spells/spell-like abilities, It kills me in 4 rounds, and I leave it more than half dead. OH wait, I kill it 2 rounds later due to deathless frenzy, THEN I die.
[/sblock]

So yeah, I can solo CR 30 monsters. Barely. Not taking into account their special abilities. I see that as about the power level a lvl 30 should be aiming for. PC's are CR's equal to their level anyways, so why not aim for being as powerful as one of the monsters?
Though I guess in the end, all of this is a load of bull b/c I've never believed CR was an accurate delineation of a monster's power anyways. *shrug*

So did I have a point? The point is I hope nobody quits b/c they're scared someone else is gonna be more powerful (And yes, I do realize no one has yet said they were going to quit, this is a general statement.)

Finally, Shayuri had a very good point - THis is hardly the worst any of us could do. My roomate and I made a lvl 10 that could kill Tarrasques, I have a core lvl 20 character with a 3-digit AC, and I've seen lvl 30 concepts from my room-mates that could one shot my current character (And by one shot, I don't mean they get lucky, I mean that their average attack rolls/damage kills me in one round. WITH the X5 hp.)

In the end, I decided to go with a concept that I thougth was cool, and powerful enough to hold his own. Hence the redeemed villainous Berserker turned Righteously Wrathful Exalted Hero.

As far as advice on 'builds' goes, first step is, as you probably all know: Come up with a cool concept - What do you want your character to do? THEN crunch the numbers.
Also don't be worried about "why would my character have 2 lvls of this and 1 lvl of that and...". If The answer is b/c that's the only way to achieve your vision of the character, then it doesn't matter how many 'dips' he's got! If you see the character as having unarmed strike, evasion, and not wearing armour, then why NOT take 2 levels in monk? Need that extra feat for great cleave b/c your character is meant to wade through armies... Don't hesitate to grab a level of fighter b/c you're afraid people will think you twinky. Twinking is more about getting the character you want than about maximizing your combat potential. It just happens that enhanced combat potential is one of the pleasant side benefits of it. :)

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Zoy - I see your base attack (I assume thats what BS Attack stands for) is 28. This is impossible at lvl 30, as base attack (As well as base saves) cap at lvl 20. After that, you get an "Epic attack bonus" on all attacks at every odd level (21, 23, 25, etc), and an "Epic Save Bonus" to all saves at every Even level (22,24,26, etc).
Thus, if your classes are in order as listed, your Base attack bonus would be 18, with a +5 epic attack bonus.

I suggest figuring out how much you value saves vs attack, and then reordering your class levels to suit (Keeping in mind requirements for prestige classes and what level you were able to first obtain them at).

Albedo

First Post
Zoycitenega: Welcome aboard. Concept looks interesting.

Shayuri: Hate to lose ya. You do some pretty good epic work.

Last edited:

Albedo

First Post
Avalon® said:
Thanks Albedo. But what about those epic vestiges and the epic binder?

Sadly, I still can't get into the page you referenced me to. Write a paraphrase of it and I'll see what I think.

Walking Dad: Thanks for the page numbers, I'll look all your invocations over tommorow.

Remove ads