(Epic Cydra) Empires of Chaos

the Jester

Legend
LightPhoenix said:
I just wanted to say, I read the whole story hour from Agents of Chaos over the last week. I've enjoyed it a lot, and I can't wait to read more! Excellent work by you and your players! :) :)

Hey, awesome! Welcome aboard! :D

I don't know if you checked out my old story hour (the one just called "The Jester's OLD Story Hour") with some of Horbin's early adventures, but the next epic update (about 35% done- should be up by Friday) actually revisits a piece of it. :]

the Jester

Legend
To Rescue Belmondo!

The group assembles: Sybele, Alcar, Blazier, Wankerman, Gerontius, Chakar, Bahgerah, JJ and Baron Lillamere. As they gather, they are hailed as heroes by passersby, and Alcar heals a blind baby. Such is the life of epic heroes.

“I know that we can’t go right to Alcar, but I can superior teleport us to the closest possible place,” Baron Lillamere suggest. The others concur, and the elven baron casts his spell. The party vanishes from Brelana (their final stop on the ‘gathering’ part of things) only to reappear on a small island within ten miles of Belmondo.

It is desolate, almost lifeless, with only a few small shrubs on it. Our heroes will probably never see it again. They leave it behind immediately, using various methods to take to the air, Alcar leading the way. Before long, Gerontius spies something immense beneath the waves, glinting of metal. “Look zere!” he calls. “Zere is something underwater!”

Let’s see what it is, Alcar sends over the telepathic bond that the champions of Chaos share. (Bahgerah is the only person present who is not on the link, since he just joined the party.) The angel prays to his new god, Bless, and the water begins to froth. In only a few moments, it seems to drain away, deeper, deeper... to reveal a terrible, terrible thing.

Years Ago

Horbin was on a great big ship made out of metal, along with his companions, Clambake, Krunkshank, Sith and Bolfol. The clockwork master Titus was on board, as well, trying to master the ship. There were no other living things on the vessel, at least as far as Horbin knew, but the
bugs were everywhere. They were made of different metals, mostly copper, but some of other materials. Each had a dark violet crystal set in its head. All of them were frozen, immobile, inert. They were the size of a medium dog.

At least, at first.

The ship was fascinating to explore. They had found a control panel and briefly tampered with it, but then subsequently left alone. One thing that had caught the party’s eyes was a single crystal control rod in the control chamber that was unlike the rest. It had two prongs coming out of it rather than being shaped like a long needle. It’s about the biggest adventure they could find on board; yet for quite some time, nobody could find anywhere to plug it in.

Then one day, while exploring the bowels of the vessel, Sith, Bolfol and Horbin found a strange panel with two adjacent depressions in it. Shaped differently from most of the plugs on the ship, they looked tailored to the mysterious two pronged crystal control rod. Could the mystery be solved at last?

The three adventurers clambered up ladders, crawled through small passages, and walked through metal hallways, finally reaching the control panel. There, on the floor in a heap of other unused control rods, was the two-pronged plug.

The three adventurers, demonstrating their collective wisdom- for even Horbin was then young and impetuous- took the mysterious two-pronged crystal control rod back down to the chamber with the panel with the plug it looked like was made for it. The walls of the room were lined with a strange copper-colored metal. Bolfol, Sith and Horbin clustered around the panel. Sith held the plug, and gingerly inserted it.

Immediately, there was a distant but LOUD noise. And lights went on.

Lots of them.

The orcish necromancer tried to pull it out, but the rod, once inserted, seemed to be pretty set on staying put. So he buffed himself with a
bull’s strength and tried again, to no avail.

Then there was the sound of hatches opening everywhere and sudden activity...

The bugs had animated.

The party burst into action. A door sealed them in with a hiss. Over a dozen of the little bugs began pouring in to the chamber with them. Most were copper but one was gold and several others were silver. There was the smell of ozone as the gold one fired a bolt of coruscating lightning into the three adventurers. The two silver bugs began firing little missiles at Horbin. The party stuck, whirled, smashed; Sith destroyed the gold construct with the chain he had taken from the mistress of chains that the party fought previously. A silver bug popped a spinning saw blade on Horbin, but he adeptly parried it and struck back. In less than a minute the clockwork bugs in the area with them were destroyed.

But the lights were on, everywhere, and the noises! It sounded like something exploded somewhere, and the ship felt like it was... shrinking. And the thought of fighting all the hundreds or thousands of clockwork bugs they had seen made the heroes’ stomachs shrink. The three moved as quickly as they could back towards the main deck, and they went only a hundred feet before encountering a marching line of scores of the copper horrors. But the bugs ignored them, so rather than attacking them and perhaps drawing attention, the three characters simply beat feet.

On the deck, all was chaos. It was all kinds of foggy, but clearly the water level had risen significantly relative to the deck in just the few moments since the rod was plugged in. The ship was sinking. And let’s not forget about the bugs, swarming all over! And what blew up, anyway? But hey, at times like this, what’s an adventurer to do? Outnumbered thousands to three, with drowning coming up soon- and boy, won’t that huge, huge, ship make some kind of whirlpool or something when it goes down?- Horbin cast
water walk on everyone he could find. And water breathing. Sith cast fly so he didn’t even need to worry about it.

As they left the ship, they could feel a strange warmth at their backs. There were strange hissing and popping noises behind them.

I wonder if I’ll ever know what that was all about, Horbin thinks.*

The water, lowered by Alcar’s spell, drains away to reveal what the steelship that Horbin rode so long ago has become. Gleaming metal tubes and plates twist together to form a huge city of steel, chrome and copper. There are no buildings; it is all a building. Thin avenues filled with marching copper horrors performing menial tasks have been revealed by the control water’s effects. Strange protrusions like stubby towers dot the upper surface of the place. Grills, chimneys and hatches are all over. Clockwork horrors swarm like bugs everywhere, many of them adapted to somewhat different forms. The mark of Belmondo, thinks Alcar grimly. He remembers all too well how, years ago during the first major incursion of the horrors, Master Control arranged for Belmondo the Enhanced to be captured and kept inside a great clockwork horror as big an immensely large dragon. Master Control mined Belmondo’s brain for inspiration, and only a daring rescue operation freed the dwarven prostheticist.

And yet, can Master Control and his clockwork horrors be expecting them? It scarcely seems possible- but as soon as our heroes arrive, swarms of horrors so small that they are barely visible to the naked eye begin to attack immediately. Dozens of clockwork horrors begin firing spring-loaded darts or rays of lethal energy at our heroes.

Who, let us recall, are far from helpless.

Baron Lillamere shape changes into a gigantic red dragon and incinerates hundreds of clockwork horrors in a single blast of white-hot flame. Unfortunately, he singes Sybele’s legs (she has already flown close in to the surface of the immense metal construction). She yelps in pain and shoots him a telepathic dirty look. Gerontius, Wankerman and Chakar all fly down to the surface of the underwater city of horrors to enter melee combat immediately, while Blazier destroys another several score horrors with a well-placed fireball. Alcar takes a deep breath and joins in the area destruction action with a maximized empowered flame strike. He, too, catches Sybele in the corner with it! “God dammit!” she cries.

“Sorry, don’t worry,” I’ll heal you in a minute, Alcar says, switching between speech and telepathy mid-sentence.

They knew that we were coming somehow, Lillamere opines over the link. Master Control must have some kind of device on us or something. Maybe something tiny, like those swarms he uses.

Meanwhile, Sybele is beset by many horrors. They are starting to try to climb over her and drag her down, so she gives a mighty shake, throwing them off of her, and then leaps about 25’ away with a mighty jump!

Most of the horrors- the copper and silver ones, anyway- are fleeing into the interior of the city via various ducts and hatches, but a few gold ones are emerging instead to engage the party. Lillamere stops that with a wall of force.

But all this is distraction. Sybele is doing the real work.

Belmondo is shielded from magical or psionic divination or location. Our heroes have already attempted to find him with spells. Now another approach is required. Sybele is a warrior of Chaos; she has been changed by its touch, in many ways. The most obvious, of course, is her size (she stands over 7’ high). More subtly, but in this case infinitely more useful, is the Chaos change in her nose. For her sense of smell is highly developed- as good, likely, as a shark’s.

Sybele puts her head next to a wide duct leading straight down into the metal intestines of the metal structure below them and takes a huge sniff.

I smell dwarf! she announces. Without any hesitation, she leaps down into the duct. Alcar flaps after her a moment later, delivering his promised heal spell.

Lightning and rays of worse energies crackle at our heroes from some of the stubby towers nearby. The smell of ozone fills the air. The adventurers dodge through the air and duck behind cover on the ground. Meanwhile, Blaze picks off the gold horrors that try to get around Lillamere’s wall of force.

Lillamere himself uses his shape change in what might be the most effective way he possibly could, given the setting.

He turns into a rust monster.

Hell

Glaisig, the Hidden Minister, raises his glass. The red liquid within the crystal gleams in the light of the hellfire lamps burning the souls of the damned.

“To the demons,” he chuckles.

There is an ironic fivefold rumble from the end of the table. Tiamat wheezes laughter from her white head.

An entire wall of Lucifer’s ancient palace works as a scrying device. At the present, it shows a terrifying battle between demons and devils raging across the Fourth Hell. The devils are pressing deep into the Hells, and the diabolic legions- mighty as they are- are in disarray, between the recent loss of Asmodeus and Bel and the great defeat in the War of Ethics.

Glaisig takes a deep drink from his cup. His eyes narrow as he watches a mighty pit fiend torn asunder by a mightier goristro demon. The legions of Hell are maintaining their front, and reinforcements are mustering, but they can only stay the huge horde of demons for so long.

It would seem logical that the cabal at the head of the Nine Hells would take this news with dismay. And yet they do not. Indeed, only the victory of Chaos- the demon hordes- over most of the Hells can ensure Lucifer’s forthcoming transcendence.

“First of all, thank you all for responding to my ad. I know it is unusual for someone asking for a simple messenger to insist that he or she be weapons-trained and ready to fight if need be, but the message that I would have you all carry might anger some. It might frighten others. It might well provoke men to fighting, or to running away. You need to be prepared for that, just in case.

“Some of you may have heard of me before. I hope so, anyway, because it will make what I’m about to tell you easier to believe. First of all, I’d like to establish my credentials. I’d like whichever of you thinks you’re a competent or better swordsman to attack me- all at once. Strike to kill. I promise that I won’t hurt you; I’ll be gentle. But I want to show you that I mean what I say when I say that I’m the foremost swordsman of my age. Come on! What’s wrong? Don’t you think I mean it? Hold on, you- two of you aren’t enough. All of you. Look, you’ve all already received a handful of gold; here. This is enough that I’ve paid you all 100 gold without you having to do anything. Now attack me!

“Good! Nice blow, but not good enough! Hah! You see? Took me all of three seconds to get you all beaten down. Anyone seen anything like that before?

“Now then: I want you all to be my heralds. You have seen my skill at arms, let me tell you a little more. I have battled against Emperor Prayzose.... and he is dead. I will be the Emperor now.

“You all are to spread the word, everywhere you go. Let those you encounter hear my name: Emperor Thrush. Let them all know that I will rule justly and fairly, with wise advisors and an ear to the church- but I will rule. There are already powerful people who support me, and I already have a new High Priest in mind. Yes, sir, this is going to be a successful reign!

“Spread the word, boys! Thrush is the new Emperor!

Next Time: Deep into the horror city in search of Belmondo!

*As originally told here.

the Jester

Legend
Normally the twisted metal city-island-ship of the clockwork horrors lurks beneath the waves, deep under the sea. But now it is exposed, the water level lowered enough to reveal its surface, teeming with artificial ants that swarm over it everywhere. Strange blisters and protrusions on its surface hide strange, mechanical devices, weapons and sensors and other, less comprehensible things. Towers, fins and other, less definable things poke out at crazy angles from the strange isle’s skin.

The place/device/craft is vast, full of labyrinthine passages that shift, seal and flood at the command of Master Control, that enemy of our heroes that is composed of pure information. It commands the horrors here, using the same strange powers of radiomancy that enabled the Miloxi Empire to rule over tremendous areas in the distant past of Cydra. The horrors hear its silent commands by some strange machine equivalent of telepathy. In addition to their physical shells, the horrors exist on an informational plane, totally and strangely different from any other realm that our heroes have ever encountered.*

The clockwork horrors all move with the same purpose. With machine efficiency, the weaker horrors- copper, silver and electrum- retreat into the bowels of their great ship. They know that the threat to the place is beyond them; they will be wasted against the force striking at them.

The stronger horrors are emerging from within, swarming towards the small band of mighty, mighty adventurers that are attacking their home. Our heroes. Strange, specialized clockwork weapons move rapidly towards the assault point. They close in very quickly.

But not quickly enough.

Baron Lillamere, the mightiest sorcerer on Cydra, lashes all around him with his tentacles. His mighty spells have allowed him to take on the form and powers of a rust monster. He is deadly in this form, so deadly to the horrors and their island; but he knows that, if he remains in any one place long, he invites a concentration of withering firepower against himself.

He’s not interested in that. He’s interested in rescuing Belmondo.

Following Sybele’s nose, he flies down the passage at breakneck speed. The party falls in, gradually following, but many of them make quick stops to destroy the closest horrors that are hot on their collective tail.

The horrors can’t keep up with our heroes at first, but they have other tricks. Master Control floods the passages our heroes are in with gas, but our heroes cannot be stopped or contained so easily. They disintegrate or smash their way through any barriers, moving swiftly through twisting, shifting passages.

At last, Alcar bashes down a particularly sturdy barrier, and a wide, short passageway is revealed. Along each side, as well as at the end, there are small alcoves. Several of these hold creatures: an ogre, a needleman, two humans- and Belmondo! They are immobile, held reclining on strange boards bristling with wires and tubes, many of which join with the creatures on the boards. All four of the creatures have metal... things... that appear to have been implanted into their bodies, from Belmondo’s second arm to the axe and hammer that replace one of the humans’ hands.

“Uh-oh,” says JJ.

Bahgerah agrees, “I smell trouble.”

The figures stand and step out of the alcoves.

“We’re here to rescue you, dwarf, and all of your friends!” Sybele cries.**

The five figures attack. Their eyes are glazed and unblinking. They are controlled, thinks Alcar. And it won’t be magic- this is Master Control’s strange powers at work.

Horrors behind, these four clockwork servitors ahead of them, our heroes attack, but not as ruthlessly as they could. Chakar tries to wrestle the ogre, and almost immediately takes him down to the ground, keeping its neck locked between his powerful dwarven legs. Chakar remains calm and balanced the entire time. He is the very picture of self-discipline. The clockwork ogre struggles against him, but to no avail. Meanwhile, Wankerman and the axe-and-hammer fellow begin to face off, while the other human begins casting fairly impressive spells, such as chain lightning, at the party.

It takes a lot more than fairly impressive to slow down our heroes, however. Only their awkward attempts at being merciful to these poor captives of the horrors extend the fight more than a few seconds.

Belmondo is trapped in his own mind.

Or so Master Control thinks.

He has been locked in his body, helpless and unable to control himself, for months. Master Control has taken over his physical form. Bitterly, Belmondo realizes how his greatest foe managed it. Decades ago, during Belmondo and his party’s final attack on the clockwork horrors, he had confronted Master Control on an informational plane, using informational weapons that the strange intelligent armor Adam had given him. Yet during his exchange of informational blows, Master Control had managed to slip a dormant command into Belmondo’s head.*** Years later, horrors appeared at Belmondo’s Lighthouse, and the command was triggered. Master Control took him captive, and has been using him ever since.

But Belmondo has been exercising his mind as much as possible, stretching it and strengthening it, refining his ability to hear radio and reaching out to his
useful tool.****

That is what his hopes revolve around:
Belmondo’s useful tool. A minor artifact, psionic, able to shape itself into any kind of tool at Belmondo’s direction. And it is on his person.

Belmondo has detected that the plug in the base of his skull is crucial to Master Control’s ability to maintain its grip on him. And now, as all hell breaks loose and some people that he recognizes as friends burst in, he makes his move.

On the material plane, Belmondo’s useful tool begins to try to extract the plug that controls Belmondo’s brain.

Belmondo winces as he jabs himself in the head on the physical plane. He doesn’t care; if he can extract that damned plug, he might be able to get free in the confusion.

Though he does not control his body, he can see through his own physical eyes.
No! Belmondo thinks, as he sees himself approach his old friend Alcar, ready to attack with whatever fiendish machinery Master Control has implanted in him. He can feel the useful tool working desperately at the base of his skull.

From his physical ears, Belmondo hears his old friend say, “I’m sorry, Belmondo- but I will bring you back, free.” Then there is a series of terrific blows to the head, culminating in

Alcar grabs his friend’s body and shouts, “Let’s go! I have who we came for!”

“Let’s bring them all!” insists Sybele. Wankerman nods. Quickly, the bigger, stronger members of the party grab the bodies of the servitors while the others hold off the horrors moving in on them.

Then the party blasts and then superior teleports out, back to Brelana.

Success.

Next Time: So... what happened to Inoke, anyway?

*This was discovered by a group of heroes including Belmondo, the infamous tabaxi Hobbes, Malford the Magnificent and Lester discovered decades ago. Of them all, only Belmondo had the comprehension to face Master Control on such a plane, and that was only with the aid of a mysterious suit of armor that was intelligent, magical, psionic and technological. Called “Adam,” this suit had apparently survived from a previous multiverse where it had been worn by a mighty hero calling himself “Iron Dwarf”.

**Due to the touch of Chaos, Sybele cannot remember anyone’s name.

***The aforementioned series of adventures, which were the culmination of 2nd edition Cydra, were awesome. During the last game of the series, when Belmondo and MC duked it out on the informational plane, Belmondo failed a saving throw. There was no obvious effect.... until now. Yes, I planned an escape route for MC in case the pcs beat it back then... which they did. :]

****Belmondo gained the ability to hear radio years ago, during a previous period of captivity by Master Control.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Fantastic stuff - really enjoying the long term results of some fiendish planning on your part.

On the material plane, Belmondo’s useful tool begins to try to extract the plug that controls Belmondo’s brain.

Spotted one error, though. Hope you don't mind me pointing it out.

the Jester

Legend
The Outer Planes are a lot like a wheel.

Think of them as stretching infinitely, yet having edges. Sometimes they are sharp; sometimes, more blurry. Either way, these bounded infinities bump up against one another. The planes of the afterlife, of morals and ethics made into physical (and metaphysical) reality, they always border the planes, morally, most like themselves. Thus, the plane our heroes would call the Abyss, which is evil and chaos personified, is bordered by planes slightly less evil (Pandemonium) and slightly less chaotic (Tartarus). Continue to follow the wheel around past Pandemonium and you reach a plane of pure chaos- Limbo- while, in the other direction, pass Tarterus and you come to the plane of pure evil, the Three Glooms of Hades.

All of this is an oversimplification, of course; there are more planes than these, and even more outer planes than these. But for purposes of our illustration, this simple model will serve.

Wheels are for turning.

Imagine, then, that the Great Wheel- the Outer Planes of existence- spins around its center point, the plane of absolute neutrality, of opposites reconciled or balanced. It is almost as if the Great Wheel is balanced above a single point, as if it rests upon a tall, thin spire, and its motion is all that keeps it balanced above that single point. It is akin to a baker spinning out the dough for a thin, round shell, on which he might slather tomato sauce, cheese and various cuts of meat and vegetable, on the end of his arm, held well above his head.

But what if one side of the wheel suddenly gained a great deal of weight? And the other side lost as much, or even broke free entirely?

A pizza man might whistle while he works, but does the multiverse?

9/18/371 O.L.G.

It has been a week since the rescue of Belmondo. Our heroes have spent most of that time has been spent relaxing for the first time in what feels like forever.

Now it’s time for a party.

Sure, they have already had several victory celebrations- but this one will be a full-one, all-out, come-who-may party. They will invite everyone they know- everyone they like, and even many that they don’t.

Yep. Time for a party.

The party is held on Sigil (the center point on which the wheel spins, if you don’t mind continuing that metaphor for a moment), in a huge bar given over to the party for the occasion by the Xaositechts, a faction of Chaos-happy folk allied to our heroes (JJ, Blazier and Wankerman are all members of the faction, in fact- or at least, as much as anyone is a “member” of a “faction” that is all about Chaos).

The party is, ahem, quite good.

Not everyone comes, but there is a very impressive turnout. Early on, a mild-looking man who doesn’t seem at all dangerous (think of him as looking like a 40 year old Paul Simon)* enters with his entourage. This, of course, is Dzaram, the Lich of Forinthia, a very formidable fellow. His “entourage”- more properly, his cabal- consists of a foul-looking fellow dressed in robes that squirm with rats and vermin, his undead vulture on his shoulder; a githyanki knight armed with a terrible-looking silver greatsword, whose armor is missing much of the midsection because of the slavering mouth full of gnashing orichalcum teeth that, eerily, fills up much of where a normal man’s stomach would be; a yellow-skinned, forlorn-looking man with a lute on his back; and a charmingly-innocent looking 13 year old girl.

Our heroes welcome them, a little nervously. Dzaram and his cabal are old... acquaintances. Not friends, certainly; not enemies, quite. Not allies, although sometimes allied.

And certainly, potentially, allies or enemies.

Thus, they were invited. And thus, they have come. Dzaram, as always, is polite but reserved. Alcar approaches and greets him. The rest of the cabal begins filtering into the room after a moment, once they are certain that there won’t be any trouble. Alcar and Dzaram begin speaking in a corner.

“I need your help,” the angel says to the lich. “Master Control is spying on us somehow, and it can’t be with magic. It can track us across planes, too, even when we’re all mind blanked. I think it must have planted some kind of device on us, but something we can’t detect.” He takes a deep breath. “I think it’s something small- extremely small. Master Control has swarms of clockwork horrors that you can barely see because they are so small. What if it has planted some kind of device on us that is too small for us to see, and that’s how it tracks us?”

Dzaram nods thoughtfully.

“And I know,” Alcar continues over the noise of the party- there are a bunch of the Xaositechts there, already, and some of their friends, as well as the party themselves- “that you have some experience with the Microverse.”

Dzaram nods again. “Yes. I can probably help you, if your theory about how Master Control is tracking you is correct.”

“Good,” Alcar replies.

“But not for free,” the lich goes on. “You know that the government of Forinthia pays me half a million gold pieces each year. Your friend Thrush wishes to be Emperor. I can help you, but you must ensure that he continues those payments.”

“I can repay you with a service,” Alcar offers.

“I have named my price.” Dzaram shrugs. “Let me know at your leisure, of course.”

Meanwhile, the doors swing open and two young figures arrive. Our heroes recognize them instantly: Little Alex and his young sister. Little Alex is native to the Sigil, the strange city in which our heroes are partying. He is the tout that the party has always used when in town, and they have always rewarded him well.

But they are practically kids, and the party didn’t invite them...

Chakar intercepts them. “Little Alex!” he exclaims. “Is anything wrong?”

“No,” Little Alex replies, sounding puzzled. “I heard there was a party here.”

“Really? From where?”

“Oh, word is all over the streets,” the tout replies. He looks a little nervous. “You, uh, don’t mind that we came, do ya?”

There’s a loud “Oooohhh” from the crowd, as the first drink is spilled on a table.

Chakar considers for a second, then shrugs. “I guess not. Just don’t get into any trouble.”

Little Alex beams. “Thanks, Guvnor!” he exclaims. Grinning, he and his sister rush into the tavern’s common room. Almost immediately, they are intercepted by Blaze, who is already pretty drunk, and who starts hitting on Alex’s sister.

Music fills the air. Zazou, the Yellow Bard who follows Dzaram, plays his lute; other partygoers add drums, a flute and soon cymbals. The blaze of the fireplace is cheery. The smoke of the pipe weed rises in great blue clouds throughout the chamber.

Meanwhile, Sybele and Wankerman sit together on a large table, drinking heavily. Gerontius floats gently in the air at eye level with them. They are watching as more and more people come in- people of all stripes. They see JJ setting up his portable den of immortal sin, or the Den of Froth, as he is taking to calling it, and starts taking partygoers within for acts of unspeakable debauchery and horrid perversity. Delilah takes her 13-year-old body in and subjects it to the worst kinds of infamies, much to the demislaad’s delight.

“That’s gross,” comments Wankerman. “I don’t see the appeal in, in Froth’s kind of stuff.”

“Necrophilia,” Sybele fills in the blank for him.

He makes a face, but then brightens. “Hey, look!” He points across the room. A female human figure is grinning as she makes her way towards them. “Is that Seethe?”

Indeed- another old friend come calling. Seethe, the druid who traveled with the party for a time, speaks gravely of a ‘middle path’- for she wishes to be a Keeper of the Balance. If it is not too late. Being immune to poison, alcohol has no effect on her, but she hangs out and parties with them. Many of them didn’t even know that she was a woman, given her thousand faces ability, but they all learn tonight. And, other than the aforementioned Seethe, the party is getting drunk enough to be called dronk.

Then the doors fly open, and a balor steps inside, holding some kind of arcane-looking apparatus, basically rod-like in aspect, but made of a translucent red-orange material and holding some kind of liquid. Several different metal bits thrust from the shaft at various points.

Our heroes tense up. A balor is a mighty demon, and could be a very dangerous threat. But when it rumbles, “I hear there’s a party here. I brought a bong,” everyone relaxes.

Could this party go by without any trouble?

Sir Maxwell Norrington shows up, too: another old party member. He tenses at the sight of the balor, for he is a knight of the chalice, dedicated to driving fiends from Cydra- but he is not on Cydra. This is where the demon belongs- at least broadly, being on the Outer Planes, if not specifically on the Abyss. And he isn’t going to start a fight while under a flag of truce...

Still, Maxwell, sadly, doesn’t stay long.

“Wow,” Blaze says, his arm thrown about his sweetie of the moment, “this is a good party!”

“Would you like to try this?” the balor offers JJ a tube attached to his apparatus.

“Sure!” JJ says. He takes a large puff of- something- that the balor puts into one of the metal doodads sticking off the shaft of his strange bong. Then the balor blasts the bowl with flame, igniting it.

Sybele purses her lips. “I wonder what happened to what’s his name, big club guy, you know, the traitor.” She asks JJ, “How is that?”

“Wow,” the demislaad moans, “it’s great!”

“Inoke,” Gerontius nods. “Me too.” He frowns. And it couldn’t have been as simple as him just betraying us. He was my good friend for years.

Sybele takes a long pull from the balor’s bong. So does Gerontius.

“Hmm,” Wankerman muses, “what the hell did happen to him? The last we knew, he was at the fight between Galador and Vandreu...”

Two Weeks Earlier

“We don’t want to destroy you,” Chakar cried to Prayzose. “Don’t fight us!”

“I said the same thing to you,” Prayzose replied, surprisingly gently. “It’s too late for that. And you have summoned both Graz’zt and Tiamat to Cydra in order to oppose us! What destructive forces you have unleashed.” He shook his head sadly. “No. The time for talk is over.”

The battle roared to a new height. Alcar threw himself against the God-Emperor and managed to land a few blows. “Surrender!” the angel cried. “Don’t make us kill you!”

“No,” Prayzose answered. In an instant, a burning ray flashed out, blazing through both Alcar and Tiamat. “You have crossed a line that I cannot allow you to cross unanswered. You have gone too far. I will not allow this trespass to stand.” He began weaving immensely powerful magic, and a gate to Heaven opened.

Light brighter than anything our heroes had ever seen before exploded through the gate.

“MY LORD!!” cried Prayzose. “YOU ARE NEEDED ON CYDRA!!! THE FORCES OF CHAOS SUMMON GODS OF EVIL TO OPPOSE YOUR DESCENDANT!!!”

A being of blazing light, so bright that the sun itself seems to be a dark smudge in the sky, stepped forth from the gate.

Galador had arrived.

YOU ARE A BLASPHEMY. The words ring with the power to shape reality. They echo, loud and clear, for miles. They encompass both Graz’zt and Tiamat. YOU SHALL PAY FOR THIS TRANSGRESSION. HOW DARE YOU TRESPASS HERE, NOW?

Inoke, meanwhile, had moved to engage Tiamat. The Queen of Evil Dragons snapped at him from her many mouths; she breathed fire, acid, cold, lightning, toxic gas at him. He growled and expanded to a height of 25’, swinging his mace against her with deadly effect. Her tail stinger whipped forward, but he parried it. He struck her white head with his mace with telling force, and she shook that head. It was momentarily stunned- but not so the rest of her! Her black head spat another stream of acid at him, while the red head bit down into his right arm! Inoke grimaced and slammed his fist into her eye, freeing his hand, and battered at her again with his mace, bloodying the red head’s nose. The two of them glared at each other.

Meanwhile, the party rushed Prayzose, striking with all their might. Finally, Prayzose staggered- and fell! Our heroes cheered! Alcar immediately attempted a soul bind on Prayzose, to no avail.

“This is a short term solution, but it might help!” Baron Lillamere cried. He disintegrated Prayzose’s remains.

“That’s not really going to slow Galador down, I don’t think!” criec Chakar. For once, he did not sound entirely calm and composed. His blows and attempts to grapple Galador simply slid off him like water off of a duck.

The party poured it on, but they did not even seem to be hurting Galador at all. Uh oh, thought Lester, we may have finally bitten off more than we can chew! His eyes widened as he saw Tiamat plane shift away from Inoke. The big warrior turned to face our heroes. A profound look of regret was on his face.

“I don’t want to fight you!” he cried.

“You should have thought about that before!” shouted Thrush.

Galador drew forth a mace and struck a single, mighty blow to Graz’zt, snapping the demon prince’s neck, and the black-skinned form collapsed. Quickly, it boiled away into a greasy smear, which in turn caught fire and burned to nothing in the blazing light of Galador.

“Uh oh,” JJ said. “Uh, I don’t know if-“

Galador struck again. Lillamere was crushed in a single mighty blow, collapsing in a bloody pile on the ground. Then he cleaved onto Gerontius, nearly taking the rogue out too! “Please stop!” cried the rogue.

“All right, it’s time!” Alcar cried. He spread his arms wide and cast a gate of his own. “BLESS, MY GOD! WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, NOW IS THE TIME!!”

From the gate, another figure emerged, silhouetted in the refulgent brilliance. He strode forward tall and grim. In his right hand he bore a sword so black that even the illumination of Galador cannot light it up. Strapped to his left arm was a shield of equal blackness.

“Galador, I am Vandreu,” the newcomer called. “Your time is at an end. I am here to finish you.”

The two gods moved together. There was an explosion of divine power, of light and energy, unequaled by anything that our heroes have ever seen.

Inoke rushed forward.

“Inoke, no!” cried Gerontius.

Ignoring his old friend, the warmind smashed his mace at Vandreu. But the mighty deity raised up his black shield, catching the blow, and Inoke’s mace exploded with brutal force. The bones in his arms shivered and nearly shattered. He screamed in pain and fell back on the ground.

“This is not your fight,” Vandreu told him. “Not anymore.” With that, he swung his blade at Galador. The God of Forinthia, the Lord, the Light, stepped away and fired a blast of staggering divine power at Vandreu. He took the blazing beam square in the chest and thrust forward again. Galador’s armor of light shivered as the black blade hit it, and the light seemed, impossibly, to increase for a second as it shattered under the power of the blade.

Vandreu’s voice echoed through all of our heroes’ heads. You should leave. This situation is about to become... explosive.

Inoke, meanwhile, struggled back to his feet and psionically healed himself as best he could. Then, realizing that he had no weapon to fight with, and glancing around at the situation, he gave a small sigh of despair and activated his boots of teleportation, vanishing into the null time displacement of the greater anticipate teleports running throughout the area.

He reappeared on several hundred feet away from the Bastion’s ruin. To him, it looked as though the battlefield had suddenly grown much larger and more devastated, and as if the dueling gods had each teleported some distance away.

Galador’s shield was broken. Vandreu’s was fine. As Inoke watched, Galador fired an immensely powerful divine blast at Vandreu, but that accursed black shield caught the blast full on- and stopped it as if it had been no more than a ray of normal sunlight.

“My Lord!” cried Inoke. “I can’t affect him! Send me to the best god to aid you and I will try to summon help!”

But Inoke, as powerful as he is, was beneath the notice of these titans as they clashed. They had no attention to spare for him. Helplessly, he looked around to survey the scene.

The Bastion of Law was barely recognizable. It was blasted, half-melted, seared by the power of the gods battling here. Immense energies were being wielded, tossed around without restraint. The air thundered with deafening noise. In the distance, Inoke could see the eternal battle playing out, but while it had always- always- been a stalemate before, now it was a route. The forces of Chaos were encircling the last heroic warriors defending Law, and soon would annihilate them.

Inoke staggered away, his arm still throbbing, towards the slag of the Bastion, and from there...

Who knew?

But I’m alive, he thought. That’s something... isn’t it?

He trudged past the fallen citadel of order. His arm hurt badly. He was weaponless.

My mind is a weapon, he reminded himself.

After a few miles, he halted as a gate appeared before him. An angel stepped forth. “Inoke,” it intoned.

Inoke fell to his knees before the angel. “I failed,” he choked.

He felt the warm touch of the angel’s hand on his shoulder. “We all failed,” it sighed.

Inoke looked up at the angel. Its halo hovered over its head. “Come,” it told him. “Come with me to Heaven.

“Come rest.”

Inoke rose unsteadily. Holding his hand, the angel led him through the gate.

Next Time: So... what does that balor’s bong have in it?

*The singer, not the politician.

Remove ads