log in or register to remove this ad

 

Erekose's Savage Tide - Act 1: There is No Honour

Erekose13

Explorer
savagetide_logo.jpg

The sights and smells of another bright sunny day bring with them the every present noise of industry, commerce, and the populace. Workers at the docks haul against huge nets pulling them from fishing boats to be repaired as seagulls squawk over head. Colourful parrots and other jungle birds dance on the warm currents above a bakery, adding to the exotic feeling of Sassarine. All of you have lived here for almost your whole lives (well except Nathan when he was off learning his devotions) and all of you are quite used to the busy streets in the far off port.

The hot season is upon Sassarine, leaving many in slight, loose clothing as merchants shout over the din trying to attract buyers. Spices, fruit, and meat abounds from shops, stalls, and even a hand cart wheeled through town by a gnome. For one reason or another you all find yourselves quite busy going about your daily duties, thoughts of heroism and glorious deeds swim among the heat.

sassarine.jpg

At some point during the day a small wizened gnomish woman approaches each of you in turn. She is wearing a nice long dress of a cool material, with greying hair laying long on her back. "Pard'n me sir." she intrudes, "A missive from m'lady, if you please." She finishes, producing a folded piece of parchment from with in a pocket in her dress. She offers it to you and as you reach for it and turn it over she wanders away into the crowd.

Looking back to the letter, you find yourselves intrigued.

handout1.jpg

From here it is up to you where you wish to go. None of you is together or has met yet. You have roughly a day and a half before the note indicates a time for the meeting.

[sblock=Knowledge (nobility and royalty) DC 10]You recognize the name Vanderboren as one of the minor noble families in the city.
[sblock=DC15]Lavinia is the eldest daughter of the family.[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Knowledge (local) DC 15]You recall a recent piece of news of a tragic fire a month ago that claimed the lives of Verik and Larissa vanderboren. The Vanderborens were survived by their two children, Lavinia and Vanthus.[/sblock]

Posting & Rolling

I invite all of you to roll as much as you are comfortable with in Invisible Castle outside of combat. The above Knowledge checks are a great example and I would like you to post your results with below. At times I'll ask for you to provide various rolls such as spot, search, hit points at new levels, knowledge/gather info checks at your request, and the like.

In combat, however, I will make all rolls. I will not be posting my rolls here as I will use dice, an online diceroller, or even excel depending on what I have handy when posting. I will ask that you provide combat stats in an out of character comment (in sblocks or not) including hit points and ac, as well as any ongoing spells in play. When preforming an action (such as attacking) please post your attack stat.

All of this is to make combat as smooth as possible for all of us while giving me the power to control the flow of things.

Resources

Feel free to use the Player's Guide as a campaign resource. As all characters are residents of Sassarine, the knowledge contained is common knowledge. The map at the back can be used when ever you need it.

Players

  • Nathan Lidu - Human Cleric of Mouqol - played by Verbatim
  • Jerrel Rivers - Human Swashbuckler - played by Velmont
  • Tereg Nna Ythelen - Quickling Faen Spellthief - played by Malarky
  • Alixtus Meravanchi - Human Warlock - played by Rystil Arden
  • Julian Hemlock - Half-elf Bard - played by Manzanita

Link List
In Character thread
Out of Character thread
Rogue's Gallery thread
Invisible Castle
Paizo
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Having autosucceeded on the DC 10 Kn: Nobility check, I'll point out that more than the information you gave there is contained in the Player's Guide already anyway ;))

*Obligingly, Alix finds himself intrigued.*

'Lavinia...where have I heard--oh right, she was a few years ahead of me at the Academy. (OOC: I'll remove that if you prefer, but I thought it might give a nice additional hook and help tie things in)Nice girl, and I never say no to a free banquet. Ah, but the night is young! I think I'll check the word on the street--the better to impress my would-be-patroness.'

(OOC: Gather Info +3 on the situation with Lavinia, the Sasserine Vanderborens, etc. I'll also take any scraps you want to give Alix (if any) that he might know from going to the Academy with her (unless you want to ditch that). Of note, among the obvious gossip, he wants to know her favourite colour)
 
Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Knowledge (religion) check 3+2=5 fail. Untrained in K-local, so fail that too.

IC: Julian is still feeling depressed. He had just sat down with Arkan's parents & told them of their son's untimely death. He was ready to visit a tavern and throw back a few shots of rum. But this...weird invitation. He looked up for the gnome when he finished reading, but saw nothing of her. He was unable to give word whether or not he would attend. Perhaps he would drop by this Lavinia Vanderboren's house tonight & let her know. Once he'd figured out if he was even going of course.

Julian headed to his favorite tavern, the Imp's Folly. (#9 in the Noble's District) He figured he'd have a few drinks, maybe cheer himself up with some company and song. He'd also ask around about this lady.

OOC: Try gather information about Lanvinia. (Gather info mod +5)
 

Verbatim

First Post
Nathan Lidu

The Burning Dragon

Although Nathan did not hide the fact he was living at the Dragon since his return from sea, neither had he thought that it was public knowledge. The fact that any noble house would come looking for him was a surprise, but the fact that it was from House Vanderboren, a minor house at best in the power structure of Sasserine caught his interest just as quickly as his surprise faded. Knowing in Sasserine only gossip spread quicker than coin, Nathan wondered what the heiress to the Vanderboren estate could want with him.

~Her parents death happened while I was away, but it was still the gossip of the harbor when I returned. Could she be seeking the blessings of Mouqol now that she is running her family's affairs?~

Running his fingers absently across his chin as he thought, a habit he was well aware he learned from watching his father from a distance, he folded the invitation up and tucked it in his pocket.

"Maggie, be a dear and let Esra know I will not be having lunch with him today. The brigand will have to find another to fleece of his honest coin today. It seems that I have to prepare for a dinner and it would not do for me to be any less than a proper representative of House Lidu."

[sblock=ooc]Looking into the Vanderboren's from the fiscal side of the House. While I am not sure why she would want me, I am going to make sure I cover both clan and church equally well. Investigating business aspect checks[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Malarky

First Post
((OOC: Knowledge local (1d20+7=18) K, read that. Wait, she's dead? Great, there goes my patron...))

IC: Tereg's fingers ran accross the letter idly. Lavinia. Since Lady Vandeboren had died, he'd wondered if his newlyfound reputation among the nobility would've faded with his patron -- thankfully, Larissa had had enough clout to spread the word to her acquaintances, and business had been booming for the most part.

Not that the local thieves guild appreciated that much.

He thanked the messenger and confirmed his attendance. Larissa had been a good patron, and he owed her family much. He hadn't had many dealings with the daughter - but then, most noble women didnt' introduce their daughters to possession liberators from the docks.

Tereg smirked, shaking his head. A banquet of all places? Hardly discreet. Though he supposed what with all the people around, a quiet meeting by a laden food table wouldn't be remarked upon.

He liked the thought of ale and wenches. Alright, so maybe he wasn't crazy about ale, or the wenches, but the food he could look forward to.

He heard a harrumph behind him, and turned to see his aunt glaring down. St. Cuthbert bedamned, he swore the woman could read his thoughts. With a brief smile he dissappeared back in the kitchen to help with the last dishes, before darting up to find something suitable to wear.
 

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Know(Nob): 11 Success... Know(Loc): 15, but as it is untrain, it should fail.[/SBLOCK]


Jerell enter the Drunken's Dolphin followed by The Crow. Both seems joyous and are laughing. "I'm happy we finally finish to repair that boat. Old furgus chose us a too large whale. It almost got killed the captain and it destoyed half the deck as we tried to pull it out of the water." tells Jerell, as he sits down at the bar.

The Crow nods as he sits next to his mate. "Yeah, but the ship is finally repaired and we will eb able to get some rest in teh next two weeks, until they got there supply and we need to load it aboard."

"Two mugs of dark and fresh ale please." asks Jerell to the barkeeper. "What will you do of you two week of permission?"

"I have Alicia that have been waiting just for that. We will be heading toward the lands and go visit her family. But before that, I need to go to teh High market. I finally saved over an hundread gold. I'll be able to buy her a nice ring with half the money and make a great mariage party with teh other half."

"So after three years, you'll finally ask her hand?" replies Jerrell with a large smiles.

A new figure enter the tavern. An old sailor who has seen more storm than the whole crew gathered together. Jerrell and the Crow nods at Old Furgus. The white haired sailor sits down and asks for a brandy. "Happy to be free?" asks the mentor to his two young sailors.

The Crow nods and Jerrell smiles. "So, what the captain wanted to tell you, Crow?" At that moment his eyes become large and his mouth drop. He quickly grab his mug and finish it in one shot before putting it down on teh bar, a silver coin next to it. He then quickly leave the tavern. "It seems someone was in an hurry to leave the ship..." tells Old furgus with a small laugh. "And you, Little Rat, what will you do of your freedom."

Jerrel stares a moment at his mug that he shakes gently. His ale make some small wave that remind him the water of the sea. "I'm landlock..." is his only answers.

Old Furgus look at the young man. "I understand your feeling. I am married to the ocean, and I fill alone in this city. But I think you should immitate your friend, and look around you. You might find a fine girl for you and avoid my faith, having your bones making the same noise of an old ship in a storm."

The door of teh taver open again, and that time, a small wizened gnomish woman enters. She is wearing a nice long dress of a cool material, with greying hair laying long on her back. "Pard'n me sir." she intrudes, "A missive from m'lady, if you please." She finishes, producing a folded piece of parchment from with in a pocket in her dress. She offers it to you and as you reach for it and turn it over she truns around and leaves the tavern.

Jerell looks a moemnt at his missive and then stare at the door who is slowly closing. "M'lady? You might have your chance just there." He tells with a large smiles. Jerell takes a sips of his ale before opening it. He read it a moment. "Vanderboren?" asks Jerrell. "It is a minor noble family" replies Old Furgus.

After a moment of silence, Old Furgus adds "If I were you, I would try not to offence a noble family. But I would be cautious, they seldom want to play intrigues, and it is not good for our kinds." Jerrell nods. "You are right, I'll accept her invitation. I wonder what she would like from me." Jerrell finish his mug and pay for it before leaving the tavern to take a walk.
 

Erekose13

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Having autosucceeded on the DC 10 Kn: Nobility check, I'll point out that more than the information you gave there is contained in the Player's Guide already anyway ;))

~cut~

(OOC: Gather Info +3 on the situation with Lavinia, the Sasserine Vanderborens, etc. I'll also take any scraps you want to give Alix (if any) that he might know from going to the Academy with her (unless you want to ditch that). Of note, among the obvious gossip, he wants to know her favourite colour)

ooc: oops yeah I guess the Know (nobility) stuff is pretty limited. I imagine that it is because the first adventure came out prior to the player's guide.

Alix is able to dig up little new regarding his hostess. Her parents Larissa and Verik* were quite well known as explorers. They made a significant fortune gathering spices and exotic treasures from places even more remote than Sassarine. From the academy, Alix remembers that Lavinia was always dressed in the latest fasion, keen to stay at the head of the curve. Her parents had often been absent leaving her to host parties for some of Alix's upperclass mates. From what he can remember she always favored the greens and blues of the sea.

Manzanita said:
~cut~

OOC: Try gather information about Lanvinia. (Gather info mod +5)

Julian is able to find quite a bit of information regarding Lavinia and her family (rolled 20!). He knows that they have a manor in the Merchants district where they have quite a few business interests usually in exotic imports. A family of explorer's her parents often travelled to far flung locations and even established a trading colony called Farshore on the legendary Isle of Dread.

Recently Lavinia's parents were killed in a tragic fire aboard a boat in the harbor. The boat burned exceedingly fast to the water line, though when the investigation turned up little clues it was written off as accident.

Lavinia and her brother Vanthus have inherited their parents estate, though rumor has it that her parents left everything to Lavinia in their will. Vanthus has not been seen about town for a while now, while Lavinia has been trying to put her family's estate in order while dealing with the tragedy.

*This is a change from any above post and I'll update.

Verbatim said:
~cut~

[sblock=ooc]Looking into the Vanderboren's from the fiscal side of the House. While I am not sure why she would want me, I am going to make sure I cover both clan and church equally well. Investigating business aspect checks[/sblock]

Nathan uses several of his contacts to discover that the Vanderboren family has a lot of their wealth tied up in several high risk ventures. Most of their wealth comes from exploration and imports from parts more far flung than even Sassarine. The curch has virtually nothing beyond the general knowledge of their position in the markets which Nathan's business contacts have already dredged up for him. Beyond the boat in which the Lord and Lady Vanderboren perished, the family owns another caravel, the Blue Nixie, which is anchored in the harbor. They have been having some difficulty with the harbour master lately, though Nathan is unable to get any specific details on that.

Malarky said:
((OOC: Knowledge local (1d20+7=18) K, read that. Wait, she's dead? Great, there goes my patron...))

~cut~

ooc: yup Larissa is dead, perhaps her daughter, Lavinia wishes to continue using your services. You'll just have to see.

While working the tavern at the Gilded Gown later that same evening, Tereg sees a couple of his friends enter, Zan Oldavin and Liamae Teslikaria. Both are members of the Jade Raven's a group of mercenaries cum bodyguards who work for the Vanderborens. They wave to Tereg as they enter, calling him over for a couple of pints of ale.

Velmont said:
[SBLOCK=OOC]Know(Nob): 11 Success... Know(Loc): 15, but as it is untrain, it should fail.[/SBLOCK]

~cut~

Jerrell finish his mug and pay for it before leaving the tavern to take a walk.

ooc: yup knowledge is a trained only skill.

Jerrel wanders away from the Drunk Dolphin with no real plan in mind. He passes by a couple of children playing in the streets. One looks like he is trying on a strange costume of a giant green worm while the other wields wooden sword. As the sword-wielding child strikes the worm kid with a thud on the thick wool costume with much jeering. "Yeah it works! he shouts as the worm kid falls to his knees fake dying. "Ack you got me, down with worms!"

Jerrel remembers that the Wormfall festival is coming soon, celebrating the defeat of the Worm god about a year ago far to the north. Even down here people are excited to celebrate the prevention of an apocolypse.
 

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I imagine with so much time, Alix had the chance to make a bunch of Gather Info checks--they take 1d4+1 hours each. It's quite possible you knew that already, but just checking in case you only rolled once, he may try some more--though he actually has another plan.

Blue/sea-green, huh? Google claims that the following hyacinths are blue on sea-green, which I'm not sure if I buy, but we'll just say it's these:

[SBLOCK=Flowers]
hyacdelftblue.jpg
[/SBLOCK]

EDIT: Actually, these are much better for sea-ish colours [SBLOCK=Better Flowers]
ipheionuniflor.jpg
[/SBLOCK] so let's say those.)

*Whistling to himself slightly as he continues to gather information, Alix chides himself for his failure and decides to start being smarter about it. He goes to pay a call on Daria, one of his upperclassman friends who used to attend Lavinia's famous parties. He's hoping that as one of Lavinia's friends, Daria might know more. If that turns out to be a dead end, he searches among more contacts at random again.*

"Daria, darling, how have you been? I haven't seen you since Geoffrey's gala two weeks ago, but as then, you're looking absolutely divine,"he produces a pink lily dextrously and inserts it flirtingly into her hair--pink was Daria's favourite colour, perhaps a bit cliche, but still, showing that he remembered by way of the flower would make her feel special, at least in Alix's experience, "Look at that--the lily truly accentuates your beauty the way it plays off the hue of your hair."

*Alix smiles winningly.*

"Do you have time to talk a bit, or is the old man keeping you busy with all those figures and accounting?"


*Later, as he passes by a flower girl, he picks up a beautiful ipheion in Lavinia's favourite shade, smiling and thanking the florist as he does so. Yes, tomorrow night will be an interesting night indeed, but Alix will be prepared to win Lavinia's favour and her trust. Better that than to be kept in the dark, as he is now thanks to the mysterious message.*

(OOC: Feel free to gloss over Daria or not--I certainly don't want to hold anyone else up. If he searches contacts again, Gather Info +3 each time).
 
Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Julian finds the story of Lavinia Vanderboren fascinating. He decides he does want to attend the function. By now it is late, though, and returns to his cot at the House of the Dragon.

The next morning, the day of the event, Julian heads around to the Vanderboren residence and knocks at the door. His intent is to politely convey that he will be attending tonight.

OOC: Don't know that you care to RP that. Julian has no other plans, really until the evening. He'll go back to his favorite pub and do some singing, hopefully make enough money to offset the cost of his food and drink. He'll ask more about Lavinia's brother Vanthus, though perhaps that's already been included in the gather info check he's already made.
 

Malarky

First Post
Tereg makes his way over with a couple of pints after he's made sure his aunt is busy in the back.

"Zan ,Liamae." He nods, briefly joining them. "On the house, just don't tell m'aunt or she'll have my hide. Guess they're still keeping you busy eh?"

He'll wait to see if they mention anything - he's not one to bring up invitations, after all -- but it might be interesting to see if they still serve the house.
 

Verbatim

First Post
Admiring the spirit that the late Vanderborens had, Nathan felt confident that his summons must have came due to his being a servant of the Merchant's Friend, as well as the fact that his father was the noble representative on the Dawn Council.

~It never hurts to acquire the proper backers when assuming control of your familes' interests. However she may be disappointed that I can truly only offer her the backing of the church, should she be seeking more.~

Glancing up at the afternoon sun, Nathan knew there was time to make a quick trip to the Docks before darkness firmly grasped the city. Removing his house ring, outside of the noble district it did little more than mark him as a target, Nathan wondered why Keltar Islaran would have a gripe already with the new heiress. The older man had more than enough worries with the fact none of his children seemed willing to step into their birthright, although they had no such qualms on spending his makings if the gossip was to be taken at value, and wondered if the workers there might have heard something that his brethren might have dismissed.

Nathan had learned early on that if he truly wanted to know what was happening with his family, all he had to do was listen to those who worked for the Lidus. While his family had omitted an attack on his sister that had transpired while he was away, the majordomo of House Lidu had informed him of the event over a game of sava, as well as helping him secure lodging at the Burning Dragon.

~Yes..if there is information to be found, the workers will know...~

[sblock=ooc]Dock GI check. Just trying to wrap up any strings he might be able to gather before speaking with her tomorrow night. Also don't want to bog things down if you are ready to move on, so if none applicable, I will move on from there and make one for the day of the meeting.[/sblock]
 

Velmont

First Post
Jerrell stops a moment and stare at teh kids with a warm smiles. As the worm finally stop to move, Jerrell start to walk again. "Now it's your turn to be the worm!" he hears behind him. After a moment, he walks toward the docks and climb on a boat. He see the Crow getting out of the captain cabin. "I can't beleive it. I don't know how he learnt it, but the captain gave me that purse for my wedding gift. It's damed heavy. Even if it is only silvers, it will worth a lot." The Crow opens the purse and take a look at it. Mixed gold and silver pieces glitter under the sun. He then leave teh boat, singing a merry song.

Jerrell enter the captain cabin. He enters and await a moment that the captain look at him. He is writing some notes in a book. "Sorry captain. Can I disturb you? I would like to have my pay. You still owe me over 200 gold pieces that I never claim, but I might need it. I've been invited by the noble house Vanderboren for a dinner, and I might need to buy a few things before going there."

After a moment of silence, he adds. "You might be familiar with such dinner. If you have an advice, it would be appreciated."

[SBLOCK=OOC]I've assumed that Jerrell doesn't walk around with his 238gp. I assume he had only 8 on him and the captain have been keeping for him his wage in safety.[/SBLOCK]
 

Erekose13

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"Daria, darling, how have you been? I haven't seen you since Geoffrey's gala two weeks ago, but as then, you're looking absolutely divine,"he produces a pink lily dextrously and inserts it flirtingly into her hair--pink was Daria's favourite colour, perhaps a bit cliche, but still, showing that he remembered by way of the flower would make her feel special, at least in Alix's experience, "Look at that--the lily truly accentuates your beauty the way it plays off the hue of your hair."

*Alix smiles winningly.*

"Do you have time to talk a bit, or is the old man keeping you busy with all those figures and accounting?"

(OOC: Feel free to gloss over Daria or not--I certainly don't want to hold anyone else up. If he searches contacts again, Gather Info +3 each time).

ooc: I had only rolled one Gather Info as I wasn't sure if you had any other agenda items before the meeting. Like gathering flowers... In any case I'll make another roll or two.

Puzzled by a general lack of good information, Alix is only able to dig up a couple more tidbits about Lavinia. Apparently she was out of town during her parent's death, having arrived only a couple of days later. She quickly had quickly arranged a quiet funeral, though no remains had been found. Her older brother Vanthus had not been in attendance at the funeral.

Later having caught up with Daria, she graciously accepted the flowers blushing as he tied them into her hair. Quite taken with the gesture she pauses for a moment forgetting herself as she breathes the scent in deeply. She quickly replies, "Oh thank you! It's beautiful. Talk? Oh yes I have plenty of time, I was just going to pick something up at the market. I don't remember what it was now, but nevermind. What was it you wanted to talk about?"

ooc: I want to RP a bit for each character before the meeting just to get a sense of the city. We'll keep it to a few posts then I'll let you know when its time to move things along.

Manzanita said:
OOC: Don't know that you care to RP that. Julian has no other plans, really until the evening. He'll go back to his favorite pub and do some singing, hopefully make enough money to offset the cost of his food and drink. He'll ask more about Lavinia's brother Vanthus, though perhaps that's already been included in the gather info check he's already made.

ooc: Sure sounds good to me.

The next morning Julian heads towards the merchant district to give notice of his acceptance. The morning is still cool thankfully as it has been quite hot lately. Vanderboren Manor is located in the eastern section of the Merchant District; the seven-foot-high stone wall that surrounds the estate is impossible to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-story house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grouns a nice buffer from the bustle of the city.

The front gates are open, inviting you to come up to the front door of the manor.


Malarky said:
"Zan ,Liamae." He nods, briefly joining them. "On the house, just don't tell m'aunt or she'll have my hide. Guess they're still keeping you busy eh?"

"Oh hey Tereg, thanks little buddy. Sure do appreciate it. So what have you been up to?" asks Zan. For the most part Liamae just sits and listens, her long gown drawn around her feet. Zan is dressed in his typical dark brown jerkin and his longish hair covers the slight accent of his elvish heritage, his ears. "Pull up a chair if you have a second to chat. Got a few things you might find interesting."

Verbatim said:
Dock GI check. Just trying to wrap up any strings he might be able to gather before speaking with her tomorrow night.

Nathan spends a bit of time down on the docks. Without his ring or his presence for the last number of years no one recognizes him as a noble. He is able to sift through the gathered throng for the information he seeks with ease. It appears that the late Vanderborens had established a colony. No wonder their ventures were seen as high risk. Apparently the colony was called Farshore and it was located on the tip of an archipelago stretching off the southern side of the legendary Isle of Dread. The Scarlet Brotherhood had long claimed the waters between Sassarine and the Isle of Dread and now with all the pirate ships out and about, like the Crimson Fleet, communication with the far colony has been very scant.

Velmont said:
Jerrell enter the captain cabin. He enters and await a moment that the captain look at him. He is writing some notes in a book. "Sorry captain. Can I disturb you? I would like to have my pay. You still owe me over 200 gold pieces that I never claim, but I might need it. I've been invited by the noble house Vanderboren for a dinner, and I might need to buy a few things before going there."

After a moment of silence, he adds. "You might be familiar with such dinner. If you have an advice, it would be appreciated."

The Crow nods to Jerrell as he enters the captains cabin. Inside the captain is sitting at his desk. The usual charts and maps have been stored elsewhere and have been replaced with ledgers and small sacks of coin. "Thought ye' mightn be needing some coin for your furlough there son. Here ye go. I've got a whole 230 gold crowns waiting for you apparently. Been a good haul and of course I added a bit in onta your usual take what fer saving my life and all." he hands Jerrell a sack of coin that feels quite heavy to the sailor. Peering inside he sees a variety of gold coins, in different sizes and weights with symbols from half a dozen different countries printed on them.

"Nobles? nah not me. I've only had uh, what , one chance ta dine with tha nobles. That was some dinner mind. It was at a festival. We'd had a good year then too and made quite a bit of coin for our backers. Since things were gonna be more open with the fest anyways, Me'n Crow there were invited to dine. Didn't get to see much o' our benefactr that night though, too many people 'round. Fancy place though, gotta watch your tongue and yer manners up there I tell you." he finishes.
 

Verbatim

First Post
Nathan spends a bit of time down on the docks. Without his ring or his presence for the last number of years no one recognizes him as a noble. He is able to sift through the gathered throng for the information he seeks with ease. It appears that the late Vanderborens had established a colony. No wonder their ventures were seen as high risk. Apparently the colony was called Farshore and it was located on the tip of an archipelago stretching off the southern side of the legendary Isle of Dread. The Scarlet Brotherhood had long claimed the waters between Sassarine and the Isle of Dread and now with all the pirate ships out and about, like the Crimson Fleet, communication with the far colony has been very scant.

~It would seem that such a grand undertaking would explain their lack of power here if they had been the founder of a colony there. Investing their money solely in either would have granted them more strength, but to divide it between both could have ruined them if both went sour at the same time. However that is just the type of challenge Mouqol admires...~

Again his respect for the Vanderborens rose and Nathan regretted that he would not have a chance to speak with them more on what drove them to risk their fortunes on an unpromised reward.

According to the tenets of his faith, he would one day also have to place his trust, as well as his coin, in a venture of some kind and when the time came Mouqol would deny all divinations on its success or failure. Those who ventures blossomed could be purchased by the church, if the priest wished to return to his roaming ways, but many saw this as a sign that Mouqol wished them to settle in an area and bring the blessings of the Merchant's Friend to it.

~But for those that fail...Mouqol never grants them access to his greater blessings. Nothing risked..nothing gained.~

Although he had not learned what was causing the friction between the elder Islaran and the Vanderboren heiress, he knew that with the setting of the sun his time at the Docks was at its end.

Returning to the Burning Dragon, Nathan's spirits were high and the evening passed smoothly and quickly. Rising at dawn for his prayers, Nathan made a simple circle of coins on the floor and knelt in the center as he called upon Mouqol for assistance and guidance with the upcoming meeting. When his prayers were over, he placed the coins back in his pouch and passed the day with growing anxiety.

When he felt it was an appropriate time to call upon his hostess, Nathan put his house ring on once more and made his way to the Vanderboren estate.
 

Rystil Arden

First Post
Later having caught up with Daria, she graciously accepted the flowers blushing as he tied them into her hair. Quite taken with the gesture she pauses for a moment forgetting herself as she breathes the scent in deeply. She quickly replies, "Oh thank you! It's beautiful. Talk? Oh yes I have plenty of time, I was just going to pick something up at the market. I don't remember what it was now, but nevermind. What was it you wanted to talk about?"

ooc: I want to RP a bit for each character before the meeting just to get a sense of the city. We'll keep it to a few posts then I'll let you know when its time to move things along.

(OOC: Sounds good--the only other major thing Alix really needs to do (assuming he gets adequate information from Daria) is send an RSVP letter to Lavinia by courier--after all, it is only polite)

"Oh, I was just passing by and I was thinking of you and old times back at the Academy. How have you been doing lately? You look great! Is it just the way the light plays off of you and makes you seem to shine, or have you been growing more beautiful in such a short time? I think you might need to watch yourself on the streets, darling--you may have heard of my misadventures with a band of ruffians, but it seems like they are targeting women of noble blood and great beauty, so you could be next!"

"How is everyone in the family doing? Dantro, Ferrick, Pyter, your parents?"

"Actually, one thing that made me think of you was a letter I just got from Lavinia this afternoon. It's weird that she would send something like that to me, especially since she and I haven't really talked since she graduated, and so soon after her parents met their tragic fates, too. But you were perhaps her best friend back at the Academy, and I know you and she are still close, or at least she always invites you to her parties--quite nice ones or so I've heard. Heck, haven't your father's interests done accounting for the Vanderborens? I figured if anyone in Sasserine knows what makes her tick, it would be you."

"I figure Lavinia is playing the game, so she may be trying to pull strings here with this invitation, so I needed to confide in someone who was smart enough to help me with my analysis--that's what I like about you, Daria dear: you're not just a pretty face. What do you know about Lavinia, her motives and interests, and that mystery prodigal younger brother of hers, Vanthus? If I can manage not to be driven to distraction by your beauty, then with your permission, I would love to work out that mystery with you as we reminisce on old times."
 

Manzanita

First Post
Julian pauses to admire the architechture of the mansion, then resumes his walk towards the door. He is dressed in plain, but clean clothes. He's not rich and makes no effort to appear otherwise. He wears his sword, but no armor or bow.

He knocks at the door.
 

Malarky

First Post
"Oh hey Tereg, thanks little buddy. Sure do appreciate it. So what have you been up to?" asks Zan. For the most part Liamae just sits and listens, her long gown drawn around her feet. Zan is dressed in his typical dark brown jerkin and his longish hair covers the slight accent of his elvish heritage, his ears. "Pull up a chair if you have a second to chat. Got a few things you might find interesting.".

"You know me Zan, always time for a chat." he winked, glancing briefly at Liamae before his attention returned to the other. "As for the little, you know the old adage. Its not all about the size." he grinned, leaning a little closer.

"Things have been ...active of late. Past few weeks jobs have slowed a little, but I'm still getting steady referrals." he smiled. "Good word of mouth and all. Smaller hands do get into more places, I suppose." distractedly he ran his hands lightly over the worn grain of the table.
 

Velmont

First Post
Jerrell takes the purse. "Thanks Captain." He leaves teh cabin and walk down to the quarter deck. He go to his bed and look at his clothes. The one he has on his back is too short. His old clothing have been thorn apart by teh sharks and he didn't had teh time to buy new. Nice time to do so.

He leave teh boat and head out to teh market. He make his way throught teh heavy crowd who are making the last expense in preparation for the festival. He finally find a tailor, the same one he goes every time he come back from a trip. It seems his clothing can't survive a whole hunt.

"Hi, Marco. I would need a new set of clothing... and if you could make it just a bit cleaner than usual." Marco who was working on a cloak raise his eye on teh large men and smiles. "A women?" Jerrell smiles to him and gently shook to him. "A lady." "Oh! You aim high." "Before you make yourslef an idea, I've been invited to a party... she wrote me she would have an opportunity for me."

Marco wait a moment in hope to have more deatil. "What do you think of that?" asks Marco, who show up a courtier outfit. "You would need a few rings and the decorated collar with silver and gold thread. You can find that in the High market."

Jerrell looks at the outfit and after an hesitation. "No... just a sailor's outfit, but I'll take more colorfull than usual." "More colorfull? You just mean what every sailor have. Color never have been among your style. There, this blue vest, with those pant and a red sach. The color are matching perfectly. And the quality of the fabric is better. Maybe it will even survive an hunt with that quality, but you,ll need to stay away from sharks."

"Thanks" Jerrell take his new clothing, but will wait for tomorrow to wear it, to make sure it doesn'T already take the salty smell he have... he will need to take a real bath too to get rid of all the salt.

[SBLOCk=OOC]Jerrell will show up in hsi normal outfit, that include the dagger at his belt. He will take a bath before going there. Not sure how much money I must spend for now.

I'm off for teh week-end. I'll be back Monday.[/SBLOCK]
 

Erekose13

Explorer
Verbatim said:
~cut~
When he felt it was an appropriate time to call upon his hostess, Nathan put his house ring on once more and made his way to the Vanderboren estate.

It was in the early evening that Nathan found a ferry across from the Nobles district to the island Merchant's district. It would've been a long walk had he wandered all the way south and across the bridges. It was a nice cool evening as his ferry crossed the small bay between the two districts. He took note of the location of the Blue Nixie that his contacts had described to him. It stood at anchor attached to one of the docks.

Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Sounds good--the only other major thing Alix really needs to do (assuming he gets adequate information from Daria) is send an RSVP letter to Lavinia by courier--after all, it is only polite)
~cut~

Daria answers politely enjoying the flirtacious dialogue, "Oh you go too far." she says playfully. "Things have been well for me and my family. Without the opression of the Scarlet Brotherhood business has been booming as it has for everyone. Lavinia? Oh I haven't spoken much with her since school really. I wonder how she is doing? She was away on some voyage for quite some time wasn't she? It's such a tragedy, what with her parents and all. Having just returned and with her estate in disarray, I'd imagine she is trying to pull things together. Though I don't know what she wants with you?" she adds with a hint of sarcasm.

"Vanthus? oh dear I haven't heard about him in a while, I don't know what he has been doing. He was a strange boy, I never talked to him during Lavinia's parties and certainly not at school. I don't even think he attended the academy." she finished.

Manzanita said:
~cut~
He knocks at the door.

The same short wizened gnome woman appears at the door after a few heavy knocks (and a bit of waiting). "Oh good morning, Mr. Rivers right? I'm afraid the meeting is not until this evening. The Lady is a, out at the moment." she says straightening her apron. She does not look like she was expecting company this early in the day, but while surprised she is quite pleasant to speak to.

A ringing sound of steel striking steel rings out across the courtyard of the manor, echoing from some place in behind.

Malarky said:
"You know me Zan, always time for a chat." he winked, glancing briefly at Liamae before his attention returned to the other. "As for the little, you know the old adage. Its not all about the size." he grinned, leaning a little closer.

"Things have been ...active of late. Past few weeks jobs have slowed a little, but I'm still getting steady referrals." he smiled. "Good word of mouth and all. Smaller hands do get into more places, I suppose." distractedly he ran his hands lightly over the worn grain of the table.

"Busy is good." replies Zan, "Wish we were more busy, though with Lavinia back things are picking up quickly. Thought you might want to know that she's getting together another group of 'adventurers'. Guess she's got other plans for us Ravens. She put out a call to a few local heroes hoping for some problem solvers. Told her to look you up, hopin she did eh" Liamae is currently looking about to make sure that no ears have wandered into their conversation. Its pretty early in the evening and the dinner crowd has yet to form. She looks at Zan momentarily as he mentions his recommendation. "Okay so it was Liamae who recommended you. I seconded it though." he adds returning the look.


Velmont said:
~cut~
"Thanks" Jerrell take his new clothing, but will wait for tomorrow to wear it, to make sure it doesn'T already take the salty smell he have... he will need to take a real bath too to get rid of all the salt.

Dressed in new duds and having had a nice bath, Jerrell feels much more at ease with the meeting ahead of him. He heads out early to make sure that he can make it through the late afternoon shoppers as he walks the long way around. As he heads out of the docks he finds things quite quiet down in amongst the houses of Sunrise. Heading past the Shrine of Mayaheine (goddess of protection and valour) he spies a couple of watchmen weilding crossbows stop and offer a short prayer to the goddess.
 

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Oh you go too far." she says playfully. "Things have been well for me and my family. Without the opression of the Scarlet Brotherhood business has been booming as it has for everyone.

"Oh, that's great to hear, my dear! Although I have to admit I'm suspicious of the whole Scarlet Brotherhood emissary business. You just know there has to be some hidden nefarious agenda buried underneath the facade."

"Lavinia? Oh I haven't spoken much with her since school really. I wonder how she is doing? She was away on some voyage for quite some time wasn't she? It's such a tragedy, what with her parents and all. Having just returned and with her estate in disarray, I'd imagine she is trying to pull things together. Though I don't know what she wants with you?" she adds with a hint of sarcasm.

"A voyage? Odd. She never seemed the one to enjoy a pleasure cruise. I can only imagine she went off to meet secret business associates to brook clandestine bargains, or perhaps to check personally on an investment."

"Vanthus? oh dear I haven't heard about him in a while, I don't know what he has been doing. He was a strange boy, I never talked to him during Lavinia's parties and certainly not at school. I don't even think he attended the academy." she finished.

"Yes...it seems he kept to himself as far as I have heard--a true black sheep. I can't help but think that such a concentrated effort to stay out of the spotlight intimates at a darker secret that needs to stay in the shadows."

'Dammit, that was more-or-less useless. Who else can I ask, though? Most of my friends are my age or younger...I should still check up on Trisha to see if she's better now--she always seems to have her finger on the pulse of the goings-on of the city--I guess she has to as a Lidu.'

*Alix will engage in small-talk for a while, until he has buried the inquiry about Lavinia between pleasantries, flattery, and a bit of good-natured fun, and then he will take his leave--before he gets a courier to send his RSVP to Lavinia, he decides to pay a visit to Trisha and see if she is feeling better, and perhaps if she knows anything more.*
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top