Erekose's Savage Tide - Act 1: There is No Honour

Manzanita

First Post
Erekose13 said:
The same short wizened gnome woman appears at the door after a few heavy knocks (and a bit of waiting). "Oh good morning, Mr. Rivers right? I'm afraid the meeting is not until this evening. The Lady is a, out at the moment." she says straightening her apron. She does not look like she was expecting company this early in the day, but while surprised she is quite pleasant to speak to.

A ringing sound of steel striking steel rings out across the courtyard of the manor, echoing from some place in behind.

Julian starts at the sounds. He shifts so as to be able to see behind himself, but not to put his back directly to the gnome, which would seem rude. He manages a smile. "I'm Mr. Hemlock, actually. I was calling because you didn't give me a chance to tell you that I would attend when you gave me the message yesterday."

If the gnome seems unconcerned about the sounds, he'll continue. "Thanks for thinking of me, Ms. ...?"

If she seems concerned about the clash of steel, he will draw his own sword. "Perhaps I should investigate."

Verbatim

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
It was in the early evening that Nathan found a ferry across from the Nobles district to the island Merchant's district. It would've been a long walk had he wandered all the way south and across the bridges. It was a nice cool evening as his ferry crossed the small bay between the two districts. He took note of the location of the Blue Nixie that his contacts had described to him. It stood at anchor attached to one of the docks.

~If the vessel which burned was half as nice as that one looks, then perhaps the Vanderborens were doing quite well for themselves and keeping their coins at Farshore. It would not be the first time that the wealthy sought a means to keep their earnings from being taxed by the Dawn Council, nor do I think it will be the last.~

Wishing he had more time to ask the crew of the ship if they knew what the cause of strife was between Islaran and the new heiress, he pressed onwards to the dinner, enjoying the sights and sounds of the city around him.

Malarky

First Post
"Busy is good." replies Zan, "Wish we were more busy, though with Lavinia back things are picking up quickly. Thought you might want to know that she's getting together another group of 'adventurers'. Guess she's got other plans for us Ravens. She put out a call to a few local heroes hoping for some problem solvers. Told her to look you up, hopin she did eh" Liamae is currently looking about to make sure that no ears have wandered into their conversation. Its pretty early in the evening and the dinner crowd has yet to form. She looks at Zan momentarily as he mentions his recommendation. "Okay so it was Liamae who recommended you. I seconded it though." he adds returning the look.

Tereg grinned like a fiend at Liamae. He'd always suspected she had a soft spot for him.

"Thanks for the recommendation, you two. Aye, I got a summons. Wasn't really expecting one after the Lady passed away, but its good to hear the House is back on track."he leaned a little closer, thoughtful.

"" I suppose I'm a bit of a problemsolver these days. Wasn't so long ago I used to be the source of the trouble."He'd also tended to work strictly on his own. So, he probably wasnt' the only summoned to the shindig. "Hope you two aren't getting up to too much mischief these days. Anything I should be watching out tonight, other than bad cuisine?."

Erekose13

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
~cut~
"A voyage? Odd. She never seemed the one to enjoy a pleasure cruise. I can only imagine she went off to meet secret business associates to brook clandestine bargains, or perhaps to check personally on an investment."

~cut~

*Alix will engage in small-talk for a while, until he has buried the inquiry about Lavinia between pleasantries, flattery, and a bit of good-natured fun, and then he will take his leave--before he gets a courier to send his RSVP to Lavinia, he decides to pay a visit to Trisha and see if she is feeling better, and perhaps if she knows anything more.*

"Oh yes it was something business related, though no one's mentioned what it was." replies Daria. With the minutes following falling away like the sweet honeyed words Alix disgorges he can tell that his pertinent questions will be lost amongst the rest of the conversation.

With only a little effort, Alix finds a courier who agrees to take his acceptance to the Vanderboren manor post haste. Leaving him plenty of time tomorrow morning to see Trisha. Overhead a seagull squacks at the dying light, wheeling slowly overhead as it slowly returns to it's post on the rocks down closer to the sea.

Manzanita said:
Julian starts at the sounds. He shifts so as to be able to see behind himself, but not to put his back directly to the gnome, which would seem rude. He manages a smile. "I'm Mr. Hemlock, actually. I was calling because you didn't give me a chance to tell you that I would attend when you gave me the message yesterday."

If the gnome seems unconcerned about the sounds, he'll continue. "Thanks for thinking of me, Ms. ...?"

If she seems concerned about the clash of steel, he will draw his own sword. "Perhaps I should investigate."

The small gnomish woman looks a little annoyed at the sounds, but largely ignores them. "Whistlegap, Kora Whistlegap. Sorry for not introducing myself and forgetting your name. Memory isn't what it used to be. Thank you for letting me know. I'll inform Lady vanderboren. See you tomorrow evening then." she replies pleasantly.

Verbatim said:

Its not much further after exiting the ferry. A quick jaunt down Puppetmaker's Lane takes Nathan past Domaskio's Consortium, a variety of dolls and puppets hanging in the window. From above the simple two story buildings in the area, Nathan spies the Vanderboren manor not far away. Once he is on Stirge Street he can see a better view of the seven-foot-high walls surrounding the estate make it impossible to miss. Above the walls he can see the towering, gothic, three-story house that dominates the grounds within.

Malarky said:
~cut~
"Thanks for the recommendation, you two. Aye, I got a summons. Wasn't really expecting one after the Lady passed away, but its good to hear the House is back on track."he leaned a little closer, thoughtful.

"I suppose I'm a bit of a problemsolver these days. Wasn't so long ago I used to be the source of the trouble."He'd also tended to work strictly on his own. So, he probably wasnt' the only summoned to the shindig. "Hope you two aren't getting up to too much mischief these days. Anything I should be watching out tonight, other than bad cuisine?."

"Watch that crack around Kora or she really will fix you something aweful." laughs Zan. "Not really sure what she's bringing outsiders in for, though I thought I heard Tolin say there was 5 letters that were sent out. I just know that we've got our hands full making sure miscreants stays out of the manor grounds and accompanying Lavinia when she needs to move about the city. Guess that's what being guards is all about, eh Liamae? he adds with a jest. Tereg knows that the mercenaries are a little out of sorts being cooped up as guards. But he also knows that the pay is good when it comes to the Vanderboren family.

Liamae smiles at Tereg and as she rises, "Be well, Tereg. We'll probably see you tomorrow evening." The two of them offer to pay their tab but depart without another thought of it should Tereg stay true to his word.

ooc: I'll be posting one more RP post before moving on to the meeting so that we don't leave too many people standing around. If there is anything else you want to accomplish before the meeting please let me know.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Alix would prefer to talk to Trisha before RSVPing for sure--for the following reason:)

'Though the letter was an invitation to a dinner party, I suspect that bringing a guest, as is typical for such an event, would not be expected by Lavinia. Anything that might be unexpected and throw my hostess off guard without antagonising her is an advantage for me, as the less the night goes like she rehearsed, the more likely she is to let slip just a tiny bit more than she meant to say when she has to improvise.'

'Is that really it? Are you sure you don't just want to ask Trisha out to dinner?'

'Hush you voice of my doubts! Don't you remember when I used to hate her? Remember what I always used to secretly call her--Trisha Sylvana Lidu--"Bitcha Silly-Vain Leech-Goo?".'

'But after what happened on that day, you know you like her now.'

'No I don't. We're just friends now. We've reached an understanding. I'll admit, she's not really a bitch, but...'

'But nothing. Come on! She's gorgeous--don't tell me you don't look at those curves or that face? And she's sweet.'

'The same can be said of plenty of other vapid girls who are nothing more than mutual friends.'

'Yes, but you know you're really attracted to brains, and Trisha is a smart cookie. You always knew that, seethed at that when she outperformed you--one of the only students at the Academy who could--and smirked inwardly when you beat her. It didn't attract you then because you saw her through a rival-lens, making her out a monster wherein all her good qualities only fueled your hatred. But then that illusion was dispelled...'

'Besides, she's a Lidu. She may not be as arrogant as I thought, but she probably doesn't like me anyway.'

'Are you insane? Even before you just saved her life from a bunch of thugs, you know you saw some of those looks towards you...that body language. If you didn't think she would say 'Yes', would you even be asking?'

'You know what I want to know?'

'What?'

'Why am I talking to myself?'

'Good point.'

'Okay, now where was I in that inner monologue--oh yes!--Gotta check with Trisha first before I send my RSVP. For though I do want to throw her off guard, 'twould be impolite not to tell my lady host how many guests to expect. It's a shadow-game we nobles play. I must not seem to be actively playing it at all--keeping the veneer that absolutely everything is aboveboard to convince her that she needs to release enough honest truth to appear the same. No doubt we will each be secretly manoeuvring, hoping to evince a slight slip from the other that reveals more than they meant to show...'

(OOC: Alix will pay a call to Trisha, both to ask her what she knows and to invite her to a dinner party. Then he'll send his RSVP, RSVPing for either one or two, depending on whether Trisha will come. Should I add more details about going to see Trisha, if you're only going to follow up with one more?)

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Julian Hemlock half-elf bard

Julian thanks Kora Whistlegap, and bows politely. He waits smiling, as she closes the door. The instant the door is shut, he turns and dashes towards the sounds of fighting.

Velmont

First Post
Jerrell looks at the watchmen for a moment, reminding he hasn't entered a shrine since he had come back. He had too much to do and he completly forget, but he wasn't a fool, if he was stilla live, it was surely ebcasue a god come to his help, or at least, didn't hinder him. For that, he should at least show his respect. He think a moment which god he should thanks for his safety. Mayaheine seems a good choice, but he is not very knowledgeable in that and he is use to pray all teh god at once at the Azure Cathedral. But he didn't had teh time to go back, so he decide to enter the shrine.

He approach the shrine and enter teh small huidling.

Thanks to be watching over me while I was at sea. I barely escape with my life, but it is all that I needed. Watch over my mates soul who lost his life in this accident and may you come to my help again when the need will be there.

He put his hand in his pouch and take out five gold that he put in cross, one in the center, and one for each wind, so Mayaheine would protect him from any possible storm on his next trip.

On that, he lose no more time and continue his way to the estate, not wanting to make a lad's wait.

Malarky

First Post
"Nah, don't think on it." He waves off their offers, happy that between recommendation and their well-timed information the drinks were more than paid for. "Be well."

He watches them depart-- then cleans up and hurries upstairs to ready himself and head out to the dinner.

Erekose13

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Alix will pay a call to Trisha, both to ask her what she knows and to invite her to a dinner party. Then he'll send his RSVP, RSVPing for either one or two, depending on whether Trisha will come. Should I add more details about going to see Trisha, if you're only going to follow up with one more?)

Alix pays Trisha a visit in the early evening, the sun having already sunk into the distant sea. The twilight does little to illuminate the Lidu Manor as firelighters begin moving around the grounds to light lanterns posted a top the short walls. Alix is let in by the Lidu butler with little question, his heroic act has had an impact amongst the staff who care a great deal for the daughter of the house.

Alix is lead up the stairs to Trisha's waiting room, just outside her quarters. The waiting room has a door out to the balcony and it is through there that Trisha invites Alix to join her. Staring out over the city, Trisha rests and arm on the rail and asks Alix, "It's beautiful the way the city comes alive at this time of night, little lights twinkling on like stars all across the bay."

(ooc: I'll let you post however much of the conversation you'd like RA. In the end she will politely decline, not sure yet of their budding relationship.)

Manzanita said:
Julian thanks Kora Whistlegap, and bows politely. He waits smiling, as she closes the door. The instant the door is shut, he turns and dashes towards the sounds of fighting.

Having waited for the door to close, Julian walks around to the back of the manor where he sees two men sparing. One appears to be a tall human wearing fine leathers. He appears to have the upper hand, coaching a short gruff dwarf who is also wearing leathers but is sparing with a quarterstaff. The two move with quickly as they spar across the grass. The human scores another hit with the flat of his blade and the other asks for a break. They have yet to notice Julian standing beside the manor.

Velmont said:
~cut~
On that, he lose no more time and continue his way to the estate, not wanting to make a lad's wait.

The watchmen notice Jerrel's presence, but leave him to his prayers. They move on to the their beat leaving him in peace as he makes his offering. There is no sign of whether the goddess has heard him or not.

Moving on Jerrel rosses over into the Merchant's district Red Skink Lane Just Across the narrow channel from the Manor. The seven-foot-high stone wall that surrounds the Vanderboren estate is impossible to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-story house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grouns a nice buffer from the bustle of the city.

As he crosses the last bridge Jerrel spots a well dressed man coming from the northern end of the street heading for the entrance to the manor as well.

Malarky said:
~cut~

He watches them depart-- then cleans up and hurries upstairs to ready himself and head out to the dinner.

The two Raven's head out letting the door close behind them. With little going on in the tavern Tereg ducks upstairs for a quick change. He is ready in just a few minutes and heads out. It is a quick jaunt down Festival Stree and across a couple of wooden bridges before he arrives at the Vanderboren manor that he knows well.

From a distance Tereg spots two men heading towards the front gates from opposite directions. One is dressed in fine clothing and Tereg thinks he might know him from amongst the noble circles. The other is dressed in a well tailored sailor's uniform.

ooc: I think the conversation with Zan and Liamae took place the night before, but in either case he probably had to clean up and head out if quickly if he was to be on time.

Manzanita

First Post
Julian smiles and watches the men spar for a few moments. He's in no hurry and would be happy to chat or participate, but he feels it would be rude. He really has no business here. With a final smile, he turns and walks back out of the manner.

Remove ads