• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ernie Gygax's Hobby Shop Dungeon - The Adventure Begins!

Odhanan

Adventurer
This is the gatefold introduction to the Marmoreal Tomb of Garn Pat'uul.

1463195_459932634117501_606374727_n.jpg

And this is a preview of the map on the other side, in Gygax Magazine #3:

996683_460371674073597_2059992983_n.jpg

From The Hobby Shop Dungeon facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/hobbyshopdungeon :

ADAPTABILITY OF THE MARMOREAL TOMB OF GARN PAT'UUL TO OTHER GAMES AND SYSTEMS

As you peruse through the contents of THE MARMOREAL TOMB OF GARN PAT'UUL in Gygax Magazine #3, one particular aspect of its design will become clear: As presented, it is intended to be an introduction for 1st level characters in a new original/first-edition campaign potentially leading to The Hobby Shop Dungeon in the near future. Most inhabitants of the Tomb are drifters who started inhabiting the abandoned place, or came shortly after the attack of Young Krassus on the settlement. In other words, it is the start of a classic dungeon, a burgeoning lair of evil. The inhabitants kind of bear each others' presence, but we don't have complex dungeon dynamics at work yet.

This allows for two things: (1) the DM may decide to add another layer or layers of inhabitants on top of the existing one, forward the place into the future and make it a "mature" dungeon, and/or strengthen what is already there significantly - this gives a lot of room for the DM to do his thing and customize the environment. And (2), this also allows for different types of game play, including game play with other iterations of the game, because these groups could be construed as isolated challenges, given an "Encounter Budget" or a series of "Encounter Levels", adding or subtracting opponents to "balance" the whole thing effectively according to these games' premises.

In terms of compatibility and adaptability, The Marmoreal Tomb should be ready to be used as a framework for adventure using different types of games, with more or less modifications involved.

For all TSR iterations of the game it should be a breathe. Likewise for the various Old School Revival clones and variants of these games out there.

For post-2000 versions of the game, there would probably be a little bit of readjustments of encounters to do, depending on personal play-styles, but it should be really easy, a matter of adding/subtracting creatures and allocating budgets/ELs, really. Expect the Tomb to behave significantly different under these types of game play paradigms.

The Tomb run with D&D Next would likely behave somewhere between the two previous groups of games mentioned, with variations depending on play style, again.

Other games might be more or less easy to use with the Tomb. It would be interesting to try to running it with something like RuneQuest 6 from the Design Mechanism - expect The Tomb to become really lethal under those conditions, and possibly add specific objectives for the party to fulfill.

It would be trivial to identify things like "Fronts" for a game like Dungeon World from Sage Kobold Productions and run the game from there.

A group of 0-levels from the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG of Goodman Games adventuring through the Tomb might lead to great moments of game play, with a serious threat of a TPK, so make sure you roll a few more bakers, peasants and beggars, just in case. . .

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
A review of the Marmoreal Tomb was posted on the Ultanya blog. The link: http://www.ultanya.com/2013/12/gygax-magazine-issue-3-review.html

My favorite part of the issue without a doubt is The Marmoreal Tomb of Garn Pat’uul by Ernest Gary Gygax Jr. and Benoist Poiré. No sooner than opening the map and reading the background was I warped back to my earliest days of gaming.

After thirty years of various iterations of the D&D game and hundreds of sessions, reading The Marmoreal Tomb of Garn Pat’uul was like riding an old bike. Everything from the style of writing, presentation and awesome artwork of Jim Holloway – this is a gem. What a great adventure which has all the best aspects of the old school but is polished enough for the new school.

I can hardly wait for the module HSD1 – THE HOBBY SHOP DUNGEON, to be published by TSR in late 2014. I think the best thing about Gygax magazine is it has created another chance for new gamers to discover the hobby. Just seeing my 7 year old son pick up the magazine randomly one day and ask relentless questions about it is proof positive.

Odhanan

Adventurer
First off, great map! Second, this looks like heaps of fun, I'm going to have to pick up a copy.

Cheers,
-Tad

Thanks Tad! We had a lot of fun playing the module, and so did our playtesters.

It's really got to be played to see all the elements work with each other. Fear the stirges, my friend! :D

Remove ads