• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Assassin

JustKim

First Post
I'm assuming it'll include updated stats for the noncombat uses for poisons, which in the article didn't detail any way to detect, resist, or disable the poisons.

Some folks did not like the at-will that rendered an enemy helpless. I did not like that the judo throw at-will targets AC but gets no proficiency to attack. I was surprised to find that my 6th level assassin could do 100+ damage in one round, making her the most damaging striker we've yet seen. So I don't think a reduction in damage output would be unwarranted.

Personally, I hope they expand on feats, or give some way to tie the existing shroud feats into the new assassin. The old feats are useless for us now.

I'm hoping for more baseline damage - some way to reliably do at least 2d4 damage with a dagger would be nice. As things stand an exotic weapon proficiency (2 handed superior) is a no brainer - with a rapier, most of their attacks to 1d8 + 1d6 + dex mod damage on turns they can't jump out of hiding. And that simply doesn't cut it as a striker (2d4 barely would either when you compare it to any essentials striker - but the dagger has things going for it like flexibility). (There's always the combination of Jian, Badge of the Beserker, and perpetually charging - but that's hardly an assassin's trick). Also they need some way to hide with cover or concealment. Also some clarification on the make target helpless by grappling them trick would be useful; by the RAW you can't perform the fluff and use the javelin on the target you're grappling.

Klaus

First Post
I'm assuming it'll include updated stats for the noncombat uses for poisons, which in the article didn't detail any way to detect, resist, or disable the poisons.

Some folks did not like the at-will that rendered an enemy helpless. I did not like that the judo throw at-will targets AC but gets no proficiency to attack. I was surprised to find that my 6th level assassin could do 100+ damage in one round, making her the most damaging striker we've yet seen. So I don't think a reduction in damage output would be unwarranted.

Personally, I hope they expand on feats, or give some way to tie the existing shroud feats into the new assassin. The old feats are useless for us now.
Heh. The "judo throw" is now Dex +2 vs. Fortitude.

Every Assassin gets a MBA-enabled at-will that deals [W]+Dex+1d8 damage, so there's the striker spike.

And by 3rd level, if your assassin attack power leaves the enemy with 10 hp or less, you can choose to reduce the target to 0hp outright. So there's another striker spike there.

Does the assassin also keep the +1d6 damage/tier to weapon attacks? So it's [w] + [stat] + d8 + d6/tier? That's enough even on a d4 weapon. d4 + d8 + [Stat] on its own really isn't as it's only 2d6 - or a good two handed weapon held by a non-striker.

Yay on the throw. Weak damage (d6+ki focus) but decent accuracy (although nothing compared to the blowpipe). Situational - as it should be. Garotte's unchanged? - what did they do to javelin? (I'll download later).

Klaus

First Post
Does the assassin also keep the +1d6 damage/tier to weapon attacks? So it's [w] + [stat] + d8 + d6/tier? That's enough even on a d4 weapon. d4 + d8 + [Stat] on its own really isn't as it's only 2d6 - or a good two handed weapon held by a non-striker.

Yay on the throw. Weak damage (d6+ki focus) but decent accuracy (although nothing compared to the blowpipe). Situational - as it should be. Garotte's unchanged? - what did they do to javelin? (I'll download later).
Combat Throw only deals Dex damage, plus push 1 and knock prone.

No more d6/tier to attacks. The Assassin gains +4 dmg on Paragon and +8 on Epic.

I don't know if the Garrote is changed. You can shift 2 squares before the attack, and it's a Dex vs. AC against a target you are hidden from (so you will always benefit of CA). 2[W]+Dex+grab, sustain standard to deal another 2[W]+Dex.

No specific javelin powers, and heavy throw weapons are really counterproductive, since the class is entirely Dex-based.

DonAdam

Explorer
They lost the 1d6 per tier on weapon attacks.

Instead, they get:

Deadly Strike, an at-will that does 1W + 1d8 (2W + 1d8 at 21st) which can be used as a melee basic.

I suspect they rewrote it as a power to add the following condition: it can only be used with a one-handed melee weapon.

At 11 they get Attack Finesse, which gives a +4 bonus to weapon damage rolls (+8 at 21st). So that's their scaling effect.

Quick Swap got a slight nerf: it's now draw or stow as a free.

They cut down on the number of guild weapon trainings (3 each now), but you get all 3 at 1st level.

Spear charge is gone.

Unarmed throw only requires one hand free, has the implement keyword, and is Dex +2 vs. Fort. Now it's usable!

They lost the 1d6 per tier on weapon attacks.

Instead, they get:

Deadly Strike, an at-will that does 1W + 1d8 (2W + 1d8 at 21st) which can be used as a melee basic.

I suspect they rewrote it as a power to add the following condition: it can only be used with a one-handed melee weapon.

So that's 2d8 with a rapier or longsword. Low end striker (the rogue should be doing 3d6 +2 with a shortsword with +1 to hit at 2nd level - the +2 counteracted by daily powers) but it relatively comfortably beats out any non-striker I think. I can live with that. (Especially as my favourite pre-essentials strikers are the warlock and the monk).

Wouldn't they have re-written it as a power so that you no longer do +1d6 damage on your garotte or unarmed attack? Which makes it only 2d4+dex? Still nasty if it's kept the -4 to escape rolls and sustain for auto damage.

At 11 they get Attack Finesse, which gives a +4 bonus to weapon damage rolls (+8 at 21st). So that's their scaling effect.

That works.

They cut down on the number of guild weapon trainings (3 each now), but you get all 3 at 1st level.

Surprisingly I'm not in favour. Cuts flexibility and extensibility. They still have that silly jitte charge for the melee one? - and how does it work if it doesn't get the d8 damage bonus on a basic as it only did +4 damage anyway? And which did they drop from the ranged?

Spear charge is gone.

Good riddance. Complex, clunky, and irritating. Garottes do almost the same job but more elegantly. (Of course it means that one of the best assassin feats is Superior Fortitude).

Unarmed throw only requires one hand free, has the implement keyword, and is Dex +2 vs. Fort. Now it's usable!

Yay. Situational but when it works it works.

Remove ads