Essentials - Will you be getting it?

From what you know so far, are you feeling the love for Essentials?

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I would expect to find such a ratio on this board, even with as much as ENWorld attempts to be something to every edition of D&D.

Go to Paizo's boards and I would imagine you would get PF as the number 1 game, go to Dragonsfoot or Castles and Crusades message boards and PF and 4E would be on the bottom.

So if anything this poll illustrates the demographics of ENWorld. It is primarily visited by fans of 4E, closely followed by fans of 3E and/or Pathfinder, then distantly followed by fans of other games and/or editions of D&D.

I don't think that has ever been a real secret about ENWorld.

You mean people who post on this board voted on this poll? And if that poll would be posted on other boards, the people who post over there would vote over there?

*ponders*

Zounds.

Thraug

First Post
Is there anything in the starter kit that would warrant a purchase, and be useful to someone who owns all the 4e books and plans on buying the Rules Compendium, Heroes of the X, Dungeon Master's Kit, and Monster Vault?

malraux

First Post
Is there anything in the starter kit that would warrant a purchase, and be useful to someone who owns all the 4e books and plans on buying the Rules Compendium, Heroes of the X, Dungeon Master's Kit, and Monster Vault?

For me, I've ordered it based entirely on the box, rather than anything inside the box.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As we have been discussing over in the 4E forum, essentials has a strong "retro" element and is definately meant to appeal to fans of older editions.

But its not clear to me how they will get the message, since its not like they care what WotC is upto, especially as essentials has been labeled as "4E and no other edition".

What can make up for that and break out? That red box. Its a smart move, and might overcome a great deal of distrust and disinterest.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I have a bit of a mixed approach to the Essentials line.

I play Fourth Edition; it's my preferred edition of the game.

I'll be picking up the Starter Set not because I want to try an all-Essentials version of the game, or even so that I can have an easy-to-use intro for new players, but because (a U.K. one-volume softcover edition of) the "red box" Basic Set from the Eighties was my introduction to the game, and I feel like owning an updated version of it.

Now, the two Player Essentials books, the Dungeon Master's Kit, the Rules Compendium, and the Monster Vault, these are all things which I plan to buy because I want to use them, or parts of them, for my actual games.

The dice set and the Dungeon Tiles, I will skip.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Basically
  • I'll get Essentials if each class presented in the book has level 1-30 detailed.
  • I won't get Essentials if it's 10 books, with each class getting 3 levels per book. That path is insanity and will doom the product if WotC goes that way.
How can you possibly be on a forum like EN World and not know that this picture you paint is completely and utterly divorced from reality?

We knew exactly what each of the 10 Essentials products were a month ago, dude. Starter set, two 1-30 player books, DM's kit, Rules Compendum, Monster Vault, three master sets of Dungeon Tiles, dice set. Done.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Definitely looking forward to including Essentials stuff in the ongoing campaign, and I plan on running some oldschool Red Box-only dungeoncrawling for my group as well.

karlindel

First Post
I play and run 4e, and I am likely to pick up the Essentials books. They are unlikely to have much, if any, impact on my current games because of how far along they are, but they will add some additional options in the future.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I'll pick the Essentials line up, and may or may not incorporate it in to my 4E game. I'd like it if it were something that my non-gamer friends could easily pick up and enjoy.

I also like to fling spoons.

Remove ads