ETHelper help

nightmage61

First Post
Ok, maybe I'm brain damaged. How do you use ethelper to import the xml files. the only options I have when I run ethelper are, quick backup, backup to file and restore from backup. I tryed restoring from one of the xml files and got loked out of the etools DB. Had to remove and reinstall etools to get it working again.

jaults

First Post
    It sounds like you are using ETHelper without any modules installed. Download the "Sets" module from the same place you got the base ETHelper app, and unzip it into the ETHelper directory. Then, when you start up the app, you'll see a new button...

Hope that helps.
    Jason

Davin

First Post
Preference question...

Thanks for the assist, Jason.

I have a question for everyone on that subject... Does everybody like that installation method? Or is it too confusing or hard to figure out? Do you think it's reasonable for web-distributed software to just be zip files?

EricNoah

Adventurer
The only advantage I can see in splitting it up is that it makes for two smaller downloads instead of one larger one.

I personally think that it would be "handier" to have them as one download, and maybe already in a folder inside the zip file so you can just pull it out and run.

BTW the best thing EVAR with XP is the way it handles zip files -- they're treated just like folders in most respects. No special software required.

Davin

First Post
EricNoah said:
The only advantage I can see in splitting it up is that it makes for two smaller downloads instead of one larger one.
Yes, that was the reason I did it that way. Smaller downloads make less trouble for some people, to be sure, but software updates only require downloading the piece that changed. This will get to be a bigger deal as I add more modules. (If the number of modules ends up really big, this could get to be really important.) The other reason I split them up was so that if I had 10 modules but somebody only wanted to import/export, then they only had to download that module (+ the base) and they wouldn't have to mess with any of the other pieces.

Does that sound like a good reason to you?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm having trouble imaging a situation where a person wouldn't want to have all of the modules.

The ideal, and labor intensive, way would of course be to offer both options -- a "big package" and several "small packages" with good instructions.

Davin

First Post
EricNoah said:
I'm having trouble imaging a situation where a person wouldn't want to have all of the modules.
You could be right there. But I expect there'll be a number of folks that only want to use what others have done and have no interest in "building their own" stuff. And some of these modules could get large. And if you want to get into some of my "blue sky" ideas, there could be quite a variety of things out there that the "masses" wouldn't be interested in (because they don't need anything that special or want to learn anything too complicated). (For an idea of what I consider "blue sky", start with everything on the old list of WotC/Fluid's "expansion ideas" for eTools, and go up from there. Assuming, of course, that they don't do it first.)
The ideal, and labor intensive, way would of course be to offer both options -- a "big package" and several "small packages" with good instructions.
Not a bad idea for the released version. It would double the hosting space needed (and perhaps confuse potential downloaders a bit), but it wouldn't be too hard maintenance-wise.

Chaz

First Post
Davin my vote is to have the helper program and modules as individual downloads like you have it now. I dont want everything that people are making right now till I see how things go with the program. But I do like to have the ability to get my files out or put others in. Also all i need to download is whatever has been updated instead of a whole pack. So I like how it has been, so far anyway. The only thing I would add is a small simple .txt file explaining the basic use of the program. Doesnt have to be anything in depth at this point. Just something to help out those new to the ETH.

Thanks again for the work youve done / are doing. :)

Remove ads