Ethics Mechanical Effects?

Zardnaar

Legend
Some thoughts for a custom game. Basically thinking of adding ethics to character generation probably vas part of race selection.

Such effects are minor you get three points. Each ethic costs one point or you can be fanatic for 2 points. You can't pick opposing ethics.

Ethics and their opposite
Xenophobic-Xenophile
Spiritualism-Materialism
Militarist-Pacifism
Egalitarian-Authoritarian.

What mechanical effects could you give them in game? I'm thinking a small mechanical bonus all three ethic points power wise are intended to be in par with a normal power level feat (not sharpshooter). Xenophile for example could be expertise in persuasion while fanatic xenophile gains advantage. Xenophobic +1 damage/+2 damage.

Very rough idea atm.

You can't pick opposing ethics.

Ethics and their opposite
Xenophobic-Xenophile
Spiritualism-Materialism
Militarist-Pacifism
Egalitarian-Authoritarian.

What mechanical effects could you give them in game?

For starters, I don't think those choices are as "opposing" as you do. Sometimes they can be downright complementary.

As for mechanics, it would be logical to have them give bonuses or penalties to mind-effecting spells. However, in worried that could hurt Enchanters more than intended in some scenarios.

Zardnaar

Legend
For starters, I don't think those choices are as "opposing" as you do. Sometimes they can be downright complementary.

As for mechanics, it would be logical to have them give bonuses or penalties to mind-effecting spells. However, in worried that could hurt Enchanters more than intended in some scenarios.

Well the idea is a mod for a 5E game and a stand alone sci fi 5E based game.

"Psychics" will be about the only magic available.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The thing I like about alignment is that it's general ideas of what the character's goals and methods are. There is a lot of room to play Chaotic/Good or Lawful/Neutral for example. I dont see that freedom in this specific ethical system. My experience is that players tend to make caricature PCs in systems like this and double down when mechanical boons/banes are involved. I particularly dislike absolutists which is what I'm picturing with the fanatic option. I find this very undesirable.

I would take a look at PF1 and the trait system. Traits are choices that give some background flavor to the character along with some mechanical bennies. Specific ideas, but not ethics or fanaticism. Better yet, look and see if Starfinder has traits that you can use for your 5E game if thats the flavor you are after.

Davies

Legend
Hm. I was going to recommend a PDF pamphlet entitled "Philosophy in the Cypher System", which did what I thought was a fairly good job of articulating the advantages and disadvantages of a number of philosophical attitudes, but it seems to have been withdrawn from publication. Odd.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So a xenophile gets advantage on charisma checks vs other species, whereas a xenophobe gets advantage on intimidation?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A Spiritualist gets a bonus to rolls in Contact Other Plane and similar divination spells.
A Materialist gets a +1 to-hit or damage (not both) with non-magical weapons. If damage, it is added after the 'takes half' of Resist Non-Magical Weapons monsters.

Zardnaar

Legend
A Spiritualist gets a bonus to rolls in Contact Other Plane and similar divination spells.
A Materialist gets a +1 to-hit or damage (not both) with non-magical weapons. If damage, it is added after the 'takes half' of Resist Non-Magical Weapons monsters.

In Stellaris Spiritualists get it easier to become psychic via shroud mechanics.

In game I might have it grant a cantrip or two and a level 1 enchantment spell if fanatic. Basically similar to the Tasha's feats.

Janx

Hero
some of those things go hand in hand. militarism, xenophobia and authoritarianism for example. If you got one, you prolly got the others.

Add Jingoism (all those folks waving flags and claiming to be patriots are exhibiting) to the list.

one could prolly make an alignment graph out of those descriptors and get the same thing.

I do prefer the ideaof modifiers to interactions (intimidation, etc) rather than combat bonuses. Being a racist shouldn't make you a better shot.

and it should also include penalties. The xenophobe should have penalties to interactions with folks not like themselves. The whole basis for bigotry is fear, not courage.

plus, a concern I'd have in the game is folks using "I'm just playing my character" to be a jerk.

I guess, prior to reading the thread (aka ideas from the title), I might have pictured in-game mechanics to resolve/consider ethical consequences. If somebody does something unethical, what is the consequence of that. How do you model that fairly so it's not the GM retaliating or playing overbearing game-cop.

MarkB

Legend
This does feel rife with potential issues when applied at the individual character level, as much or moreso than alignments.

Do you have to be seen to be playing your character traits consistently in order to gain their benefits? Who judges that? Are there out-of-game moral / ethical issues when it comes to providing game-mechanical rewards for being xenophobic? And are we talking fantasy xenophobia between, say, elves and dwarves, or are you legitimising players expressing real-world racism?

Remove ads