Ever see a Strengh 18/00 rolled legitimately?

Roland55

First Post
Probably about half a dozen times over the years. (Alas, none of those were for my own character.) Yes, legitimately.

A whole hell of a lot more than half a dozen if we take out the strict "legitimate" requirement, and yes, in that category, I count a character or two of my own. ;)

You are either profoundly lucky ... or you have played a LOT of D&D!:D

I've been at it for well over 30 years, but have only seen it twice. The first time it was my spouse ... my ridiculously lucky spouse. She rolled 2 18's, a 17, and a 16 for her character ... straight up rolls! And then capped it with that double-0. A ranger, as I recall.

The second time was much later, during the 80s. And that fellow only played for 3 months before being sent overseas.

The next closest was an 18/93 back in the late 80s.

The best I personally saw was an 18/97.

I have a friend who once ran a game where one character had legitimately rolled all 18's down the line, with strength being an 18/00. The character died in the third room.

Glyfair

Explorer
Only fighter types could roll for it at all. Gnomes & halflings were capped before 18 so no rolls for them. Elves were limited to 18/75, Dwarves and half-orcs could get up to 18/99 IIRC. Females of the various races were capped at percentages below the males of their race. Only a human male fighter could have an actual 18/00 per the PHB STR table.
Indeed, in my early RPG years (pre-1980) I saw an 18/00 rolled and wasted. The player was known for always playing an elf. He decided to play a fighter/wizard multiclass after having an 18 for Strength and 16 for Intelligence. His exceptional strength roll was 00. He tried to convince the DM to allow his elf to keep it, but when that didn't fly he dropped it to the 18/75.

nedjer

Adventurer
Of course I played 21,600 fighters :p

Or whenever I got an 18 out of the 6 rolls I went for a fighter class/ sub-class for years. So I was calculating the number of 00s (or not) arising from those 18s. This was deeply statistically wrong of me and I will beat myself with sticks to atone :)

I've been playing D&D since 1976/77 or thereabouts and in these 35 years of gaming I've known it to happen only once and I'm the one who managed it. I rolled it for an elven fighter I was making. Everybody was SO jealous when it happened.

The sad part is it made virtually no difference in the game because it was a munchkin cheese fest with the other fighters running around wearing girdle/gauntlet combinations, most of them dwarves with dwarven thrower hammers. My elf who looked like Arnold Schwarzeneggar was a certified weenie when actually compared to other fighter PC's with christmas trees of magic items. Elves in particular came to be derided by other players as effeminate if not closeted homosexuals and neither I, nor my Ogre-strong character were ever given any respect.

Wik

First Post
Okay, this is bugging me. The odds are NOT 1 in 216,000 of you getting a fighter with 18/00 strength. Or rather, they're only 1 in 216,000 if you cannot allocate your stats to suit the relevant attributes, because 1 in 216K means that you are rolling 3d6 only once and taking the result.

The actual odds would be something like 216/6(100), or 3,600, which is a bit more reasonable and keeping in line with the experiences of the players on this thread. Actually, I think the odds would be even better for the player; this is using a straight 3d6 roll, and I'm sure a lot of people used 4d6 fairly often.

LeStryfe79

First Post
I rolled an 18/100 for a ranger(I made him 6'8" to explain it lol). It was for a campaigns that lasted a single adventure. :( I even drew a sketch dammit haha. Anyways we usually allowed rerolls for characters to get above 18/50, but I don't remember personally playing one of those blasphemies. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases