D&D General EverQuest's Norrath via D&D. Any good conversions?

Meech17

Adventurer
I love EQ. It was my gateway into fantasy. I was only eight or so when my older brother brought home the game and started playing in 1999/2000. Kunark had come out, Velious hadn't. I used to fill up all of the character slots of his account on servers he didn't play on, just making new characters and exploring their towns and newbie areas. I'd get to maybe level 4 or 5 before I started to out level the starter yard, but be too scared to venture further and start over.

I'm currently playing on Project Quarm and having a lot of fun. I also played a TON of EQ2 as a teen.

One thing I'd like to inject into my D&D game is EQ's faction system. So many quests and creatures were tied to faction, and there were a lot of strings being pulled. Doing this quest raises your standing with faction A, but lowers it with faction B. Being forced to make these choices would lead to interesting political tension I think.

"We want to achieve Goal, and Faction A can help us do that. But by working with Faction A, we're going to distance ourselves from Faction B. Is this something we want to risk?"

I was also thinking about trying to map out BlackBurrow and turn it into a big dungeon.

But to be back on track, no I don't know of any conversions. I'm also familiar with the D20 books, and I have the Freeport one. It's a wealth of EQ lore. I'm wanting to get more. There's a Qeynos book too, right?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I love EQ. It was my gateway into fantasy. I was only eight or so when my older brother brought home the game and started playing in 1999/2000. Kunark had come out, Velious hadn't. I used to fill up all of the character slots of his account on servers he didn't play on, just making new characters and exploring their towns and newbie areas. I'd get to maybe level 4 or 5 before I started to out level the starter yard, but be too scared to venture further and start over.

I'm currently playing on Project Quarm and having a lot of fun. I also played a TON of EQ2 as a teen.

One thing I'd like to inject into my D&D game is EQ's faction system. So many quests and creatures were tied to faction, and there were a lot of strings being pulled. Doing this quest raises your standing with faction A, but lowers it with faction B. Being forced to make these choices would lead to interesting political tension I think.

"We want to achieve Goal, and Faction A can help us do that. But by working with Faction A, we're going to distance ourselves from Faction B. Is this something we want to risk?"

I was also thinking about trying to map out BlackBurrow and turn it into a big dungeon.

But to be back on track, no I don't know of any conversions. I'm also familiar with the D20 books, and I have the Freeport one. It's a wealth of EQ lore. I'm wanting to get more. There's a Qeynos book too, right?

3 things got me in D&D. The D&D novels, Baldur's Gate 1 and then EverQuest. I owe EQ A LOT.

We’ve done some 3.5/pf1 and GURPS EverQuest games. Since we were all regular EQ players it was fun.

Pretty easy to turn the online EQ2 maps into actual D&D maps. There lore is compelling in places with a ready made cosmology. Plenty of quests to send players on. There’s potential there.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Wouldn't the easiest approach be to adapt White Wolf's actual licensed EQ TTRPG? It was already a modified d20 system, so porting it into D&D 3/3.5 or even 5 shouldn't be too much of a chore. Or just find used copies of the game and use that - it was playable if not elegant. My own screen handle here was an Erudite wizard from a short campaign we played back in the early 2000s.

As I mentioned in the OP, I have the 3 cores books and even ran it once. It's more insanely cluttered than basic 3E IMO.

Voadam

Legend
I enjoyed the d20 EQ RPG dwarves being size small but enough physical stat bonuses to make them still good axe warrior choices.

The monsters were pretty fantastic too, lots of high CR ones ready to go in normal D&D, the only sticky inclusion part being the spellcaster ones using the EQ spellcaster stuff which required really familiarizing yourself with the whole alt class and spell stuff to use the stat blocks.

GreyLord

Legend
Everquest is still around?

Wow. Didn't even know that.

I played Champions of Norrath once upon a time. Was a pretty great game.

No idea how to convert it to D&D though.

Remove ads