• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Every god in D&D...ever

William Ronald

Explorer
I think this will be of help to a lot of DMs. Here is some advice.

Domains: Choose what you believe is appropriate to a deity's nature. FFor example, Cernunnos (whom the Tuatha De Danaan article in a Dragon magazine mispelled as Cerunnos) is a deity of nature, so animal, plant, and weather might be appropriate domains. Or you could use a comparable deity, such as Silvanus. (See my note on alignments and sourcesbelow.)

Sources: Do some research, as this list is more of a guide than a definitive statement. If you are looking at a real world pantheon or somethign from an established setting, learn about the details of the deities and their histories.

Alignment: In some cases, I believe that the alignments in some of the books was just plain wrong. So, go to the sources and read how those deities were viewed in their culture, and by mythologists. (Some deities listed as evil come out a LOT better when you read the Mabonogion b (Celtic Mythology) or other sources.)

Consider the PCs and the world: Decide how each deity relates to his or her worshippers and the larger world. Does the deity have different aspects that could lead to divergent religious orders.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Clueless said:
Also - bookmarks added for the first god of each letter. (A. B. C etc.)
Clueless, you're my ninja. ;)

Slavers, and the Living Greyhawk Deities file (downloadable from WotC's site)
To be more specific, there are now two more deities that weren't there before: The Earth Dragon, and Chitza-Atlan.

The Earth Dragon is a new demigod introduced in Slavers, and with an entry in the LGD file. Chitza-Atlan is slightly more complicated. His only listed source is the LGD file, however, his original mention comes from C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. However, his name in that product is simply given to us off-the-cuff, with very little information to go on. As explained in the beginning of the document, sources like that aren't included here.

I also want to mention that the LGD file is a great reference. It has entries that include things like symbols, favored weapons, typical worshippers, etc. Best of all, it updates to 3(.5)E a lot of deities that are otherwise ignored. I highly recommend checking it out.

This update also includes some corrections, mostly spelling and grammar. It also takes into account the "aspect" deity listings in Serpent Kingdoms, which I had previously ignored. That's why Sseth now has alias listings for Merrshaulk and Varae, and why Set has an alias listing of Sseth, etc.

William Ronald said:
I think this will be of help to a lot of DMs. Here is some advice.

[snip]

This is some great advice. It's things like this that I hoped to encourage with this list.

Last edited:

mafisto

First Post
Database Version

Heh, the first thing I did on Saturday morning is write a text file parser for the document and rip it into a relational database. I haven't had much time since to work on a decent search form, but if anyone is interested let me know. If that's the case I'll put it on a public website - the idea is to make the gods searchable by each of their four qualities (including source). LMK.

Edit: Oops, Alzrius, PM me if this is an issue. I'll credit you and place a link to the Planewalker site at the top of the form otherwise.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
mafisto said:
Edit: Oops, Alzrius, PM me if this is an issue. I'll credit you and place a link to the Planewalker site at the top of the form otherwise.

I don't have a problem with this. I'm actually quite pleased that other people are picking up the list and running with it in their own way. I certainly won't object to people wanting to make it more useful or placing it elsewhere (though the credit and the link are nice).

Static, who runs the official Spelljammer website (www.spelljammer.org) is also working on a searchable database. I don't feel right about giving his email address without his knowledge/approval, but you should be able to find it there; perhaps you and he can coordinate efforts.

Clueless

Webmonkey
mafisto said:
Heh, the first thing I did on Saturday morning is write a text file parser for the document and rip it into a relational database. I haven't had much time since to work on a decent search form, but if anyone is interested let me know. If that's the case I'll put it on a public website - the idea is to make the gods searchable by each of their four qualities (including source). LMK.

... !! :eek: :D

Send me the parser please?? As a coder I really wanna see it! ;)

Also if *and this is a big if* Al would like us to host a gods list database I see no reason why we can't. Planewalker already has some gods in its databases just nothing like this. So it's really his option on where he'd like to host it at.

mafisto

First Post
Cool!

Clueless, I'll email you the steps I took and the code. I had to render the document down to an .rtf and do some whitespace cleanup, but everything else should be evident. I wrote it in ColdFusion so the logic is directly portable to PHP.

If you could get permission to host and a RDBM to put the database on, I'd be happy to export the data and schema for the Planewalker. To be honest, I don't have the bandwidth to host this if it gets a lot of traffic. A good d20 host would be the best option.

In the meantime I'll get something up quickly for people to look at.

Clueless

Webmonkey
Meh. Coldfusion *wrinkles nose* never did like that system but meh. I'll learn to deal. ;)

Planewalker is actually database driven entirely, and we've still got spare bandwidth - not that we aren't trying to fix *that* problem as much as we can by advertising and hosting goodies. So if you've got a schema go ahead and drop it over. I doubt it's more than what? 2 tables?

Last edited:

mafisto

First Post
*chuckle* I prefer PHP for web pages, but CF is my primary language. This was all about speed and getting the data where I could play with it.

I've sent an email your way, we can take all of this nerd talk off-board now ;)

Remove ads