Everybody Cheats?

Gary Alan Fine's early survey of role-playing games found that everybody cheated. But the definition of what cheating is when it applies to role-playing games differs from other uses of the term. Does everyone really cheat in RPGs? Yes, Everybody Gary Alan Fine's work, Shared Fantasy, came to the following conclusion: Perhaps surprisingly, cheating in fantasy role-playing games is...

Gary Alan Fine's early survey of role-playing games found that everybody cheated. But the definition of what cheating is when it applies to role-playing games differs from other uses of the term. Does everyone really cheat in RPGs?

61MMguCyhiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yes, Everybody​

Gary Alan Fine's work, Shared Fantasy, came to the following conclusion:
Perhaps surprisingly, cheating in fantasy role-playing games is extremely common--almost everyone cheats and this dishonesty is implicitly condoned in most situation. The large majority of interviewees admitted to cheating, and in the games I played, I cheated as well.
Fine makes it a point of clarify that cheating doesn't carry quite the same implications in role-playing as it does in other games:
Since FRP players are not competing against each other, but are cooperating, cheating does not have the same effect on the game balance. For example, a player who cheats in claiming that he has rolled a high number while his character is fighting a dragon or alien spaceship not only helps himself, but also his party, since any member of the party might be killed. Thus the players have little incentive to prevent this cheating.
The interesting thing about cheating is that if everyone cheats, parity is maintained among the group. But when cheating is rampant, any player who adheres slavishly to die-roll results has "bad luck" with the dice. Cheating takes place in a variety of ways involving dice (the variable component PCs can't control), such as saying the dice is cocked, illegible, someone bumped the table, it rolled off a book or dice tray, etc.

Why Cheat?​

One of the challenges with early D&D is that co-creator Gary Gygax's design used rarity to make things difficult. This form of design reasoned that the odds against certain die rolls justified making powerful character builds rare, and it all began with character creation.

Character creation was originally 3d6 for each attribute, full stop. With the advent of computers, players could automate this rolling process by rapidly randomizing thousands of characters until they got the combination of numbers they wanted. These numbers dictated the PC's class (paladins, for example, required a very strict set of high attributes). Psionics too, in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, required a specific set of attributes that made it possible to spontaneously manifest psionic powers. Later forms of character generation introduced character choice: 4d6 assigned to certain attributes, a point buy system, etc. But in the early incarnations of the game, it was in the player's interest, if she wanted to play a paladin or to play a psionic, to roll a lot -- or just cheat (using the dice pictured above).

Game masters have a phrase for cheating known as "fudging" a roll; the concept of fudging means the game master may ignore a roll for or against PCs if it doesn't fit the kind of game he's trying to create. PCs can be given extra chances to reroll, or the roll could be interpreted differently. This "fudging" happens in an ebb and flow as the GM determines the difficulty and if the die rolls support the narrative.

GM screens were used as a reference tool with relevant charts and to prevent players from seeing maps and notes. But they also helped make it easier for GMs to fudge rolls. A poll on RPG.net shows that over 90% of GMs fudged rolls behind the screen.

Cheating Is the Rule​

One of Fifth Edition's innovations was adopting a common form of cheating -- the reroll -- by creating advantage. PCs now have rules encouraging them to roll the dice twice, something they've been doing for decades with the right excuse.

When it comes to cheating, it seems like we've all been doing it. But given that we're all working together to have a good time, is it really cheating?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
This is one of those rules, perhaps the only rule, where I can't bring it up. Before [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] or someone comes in screaming, "Because they would think it's cheating!," that has nothing to do with it. Even if they were all okay with it, I would have to stop altering die rolls so as not to cause bad feelings if I don't alter rolls when a player thinks I should have. Beyond that, I don't want the players thinking that I will keep their PCs alive. I don't alter die rolls for that purpose. There's no point in bringing up a rule that if brought up, won't be used.

As I mentioned multiple times earlier in this thread, I will only alter rolls in two circumstances. The first circumstance is if they PCs are going to be wiped out or lose members due purely to horrible luck. If my dice are hot and theirs are not, and things are grim, I will alter a roll here and there to even things up a bit. They could, and sometimes still do lose, but at least it won't be because the dice gods said so. If they are in a bad way due to bad decisions, no die altering will happen. The second time I will alter rolls is if they are trouncing the BBEG. I will never alter rolls to give the BBEG a chance to win, but only to survive long enough to not be a completely disappointing fight. I will also never alter die rolls if he is being trounced due to good planning on the part of the players. I'm not going to invalidate the players.

The above circumstances are very rare. They only come about anywhere from 0-2 times a campaign, and since the results of the die altering are not obvious, or even perceivable to the players, nobody ever knows.

And this will just feed the fire for those who say it should never happen.

If your players don’t trust you to be a good judge of when to use a discretionary tool, then you probably shouldn’t be using it.

I get what you’re saying, nobody knows that you’re using it. But that goes squarely against my assertion that it is not dishonest. If they think you aren’t using it, but you are, I would consider that a problem.

In the end we all have to do what were comfortable with. And it is written into the rules of most editions, although I think that this debate clearly shows that we don’t all interpret those rules the same way. I guess to me that’s just not the sort of slippery slope I want to play on.

Like so many approaches and techniques, I find that when I start paying attention to how I run the game that I am often a lot less aware of what I actually do than I thought. I give the players a lot more free reign when it comes to authoring the fiction than I thought I did. I modify encounters more than I thought I did. I make exceptions to my “hard and fast rules” more than I thought I did.

I suspect that other DMs would find a lot of surprises if they objectively studied their actual play. I find these discussions enlightening and have made many changes to my DM style over the last few years of being involved in them. I’ve also worked hard to be more transparent to my players, although that has proven to be unnecessary.

As it turns out, the players I attract are not the ones that are rules or mechanics focused, and as we have discussions about stuff here, I present the questions as posted here and get their response. It just happens to turn out that we tend to be on the same page.

That’s great, because it makes it easier for me. Because it’s what I’m used to. But it is nice to know that my approach to DMing won’t interfere with their enjoyment of the game. So while some of the tools allow me to keep secrets from the players/characters, the tools themselves will never be a secret.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And this will just feed the fire for those who say it should never happen.

If your players don’t trust you to be a good judge of when to use a discretionary tool, then you probably shouldn’t be using it.

I get what you’re saying, nobody knows that you’re using it. But that goes squarely against my assertion that it is not dishonest. If they think you aren’t using it, but you are, I would consider that a problem.

I don't know what they think, but I doubt that they don't know about the rule and if they had a problem with it, they presumably would have brought it up before now. It has been a part of the game for more than 30 years and 1 player has been playing that entire time, two have been playing for about 20 years, the last for about 12. They really ought to know about it by now.

Like so many approaches and techniques, I find that when I start paying attention to how I run the game that I am often a lot less aware of what I actually do than I thought. I give the players a lot more free reign when it comes to authoring the fiction than I thought I did. I modify encounters more than I thought I did. I make exceptions to my “hard and fast rules” more than I thought I did.

I suspect that other DMs would find a lot of surprises if they objectively studied their actual play. I find these discussions enlightening and have made many changes to my DM style over the last few years of being involved in them. I’ve also worked hard to be more transparent to my players, although that has proven to be unnecessary.

As I said above, I am very aware of when I alter rolls and only do so in very specific, very rare circumstances. It's not as if these things can happen without my knowing about it. There are some years where it never happens.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I don't know what they think, but I doubt that they don't know about the rule and if they had a problem with it, they presumably would have brought it up before now. It has been a part of the game for more than 30 years and 1 player has been playing that entire time, two have been playing for about 20 years, the last for about 12. They really ought to know about it by now.

As I said above, I am very aware of when I alter rolls and only do so in very specific, very rare circumstances. It's not as if these things can happen without my knowing about it. There are some years where it never happens.

That’s a bit different. My campaign has been running for about the same length of time, but sadly, people moving has meant that over the years I’ve had complete turnover.

I also start new players on a regular basis, some just new to the campaign, many new to D&D as a whole. I also occasionally run public campaigns at local stores.

I’d have said the same thing about knowing how I DM, and you may very well know every time you modify a roll and do it that rarely. I’m just saying that in my experience, especially having done this for so long, I’ve found that when I actually make a point of trying paying closer attention to it, that I don’t do things quite the way I thought I did.

This shouldn’t surprise me, since I’m a process analysis and design guy by trade (in part) and one of the things that is consistent in that business is that when you start analyzing a process, most people really don’t understand exactly what it is they do. Which is why guys like me have a job. The same thing applies to me!

Aldarc

Legend
Again, this is where I disagree with [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] and you.ere are a couple of definitions of cheating:

Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination. "she always cheats at cards"

And another:

Act dishonestly, be cunning, be dishonest, befool, beguile, betray, break faith, commit breach of trust, cozen, deceive, defalcate, defraud, deprive of dishonestly, dissemble, dupe, embezzle, fraudare, ignore ethics, lack honesty, obtain money by false pretenses, pettifog, play false, practice chicanery, practice fraud, prevaricate, purloin, represent falsely, sharp, swindle.

The definition of cheating is all about being dishonest, unethical, breaking the rules, etc. Literally, by definition, playing by the rules cannot be cheating. Telling us we're cheating when we're following the rules, openly and honestly at our tables is insulting.
And as it turns out "fudging" is a synonym with "cheating," "lying," "fraud," and "dishonesty." You are just endorsing a rose by any other name... And while the sense of "cheating" may not apply to your authority as GM, it does not erase the others that do apply, such as being dishonest, unethical, or playing falsely. So how is this not what [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] referred to as a "feel good" semantics game?

The problem I have with folks continuing to call this cheating within the context of a game where it is explicitly allowed by the people playing the game. It's really not about what's in the rules, but what the people sitting at the table agree to. You're calling people dishonest. You're telling them they are wrong, and they shouldn't play the game that way. But they might find that they don't like the style that is more mechanically focused, and might decide that D&D or RPGs aren't for them. You're not wrong for wanting to play in a game where DMs aren't allowed to fudge or alter the rules. But we're not wrong for enjoying playing in one either.
But you are being dishonest and fradulent; that is literally the definition of what "fudging" is. You are trying to have your cake and eat it too just because you dislike feeling morally offended by use of the word "cheating" to describe "cheating."

The book allows point buy. We don't use point buy at my table. The book allows fudging, and you don't allow that at your table. Fair enough. But there are a lot of people who still prefer to allow the DM a lot more leeway in adjudication of the game, including altering die rolls when they feel necessary. If those at the table all agree, then it is not cheating. They are not dishonest. They are not unethical. They are not playing in bad faith, and they are not breaking the rules. They just enjoy a different playstyle than you.
I'm fine if you and your table agrees that cheating is okay, but I just hate the song-and-dance evasion about fudging not being GM cheating.

If the paragraph in 5e wasn't there to allow DMs to fudge, then they could have simply written, "don't fudge the dice." They didn't need to put anything at all in the rules regarding it, and Gary Gygax certainly didn't need to in AD&D. Although in his case it wasn't, " lets you fudge the dice if you want to," it was "You do have every right to overrule the dice at any time" and there is literally no reason to add that line of text to any game unless it's something that you're allowed to do in the game. That's not ambiguous or mincing words. Have you ever seen any other game other than an RPG explicitly tell you that you can overrule the dice? There is absolutely no need to do that unless it's something that you can do. If you want to, and if the table agrees.
I don't think that sentence exists in isolation, but is instead couched in a section on the GM choosing to roll dice for the players. So that sentence does not appear to be about fudging but about the GM being able to control pacing and perspective through deciding when, how, and who can roll dice.

Furthermore, I don't think that Gygax advocates changing the die result when it comes to a character death. Instead, he appears to be advocating a prototype for a fiction first approach, such that the consequences and interpretation of the die results should follow from the fiction. The dice roll itself does not change; its imparted meaning within the context of the rules does. This idea becomes more explicit in Fate, for example: if you - as a player or GM - "take out" an opponent, then you get to dictate what happens to them: e.g., death, captured, injured, etc.

I think that it’s only fair, in today’s broad range of play styles, that the more controversial rules are agreed upon up front. Of all the rules, this one in particular is important because it clearly poisons the well for those of us that prefer the style when people who don’t like it (including those that don’t even know they don’t like it) find out that it has been used and they feel cheated.

Even in AD&D days it probably would have been wiser to ensure that everybody was on the same page, because there is no mention of it outside the DMG. Actually, that may be the case in 5E too.

The reality is, for people coming from other games, it’s reasonable to assume that everybody is following the same rules. That does not mean a rule that allows fudging is wrong. But it is different from what many might expect. And if something is different that what somebody’s expectations are, it’s good to clear that up out front.
XP for this. Because it is this sentiment that truly lies behind the first formulation that actually referred to itself as "Rule Zero" (3rd Edition):
0. CHECK WITH YOUR DUNGEON MASTER
Your Dungeon Master (DM) may have house rules or campaign standards that vary from the standard rules. You might also want to know what character types the other players are playing so that you can create a character that fits in well with the group.
Rule Zero was "check with your dungeon master."

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And as it turns out "fudging" is a synonym with "cheating," "lying," "fraud," and "dishonesty." You are just endorsing a rose by any other name... And while the sense of "cheating" may not apply to your authority as GM, it does not erase the others that do apply, such as being dishonest, unethical, or playing falsely. So how is this not what [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] referred to as a "feel good" semantics game?

A synonym is only a word that is similar and might mean the same thing as the other word, depending on circumstances. With synonyms one word doesn't equal the other. In the case of fudging, it's just a term that someone came up with because they weren't cheating, but was doing something similar. The reality is that a DM altering a die roll is doing only that, altering a die roll. No fudging or cheating is really going on.

But you are being dishonest and fradulent; that is literally the definition of what "fudging" is. You are trying to have your cake and eat it too just because you dislike feeling morally offended by use of the word "cheating" to describe "cheating."

There is no dishonesty or fraud involved in altering a die roll. It's part of the rules.

I'm fine if you and your table agrees that cheating is okay, but I just hate the song-and-dance evasion about fudging not being GM cheating.

I've stopped using the term fudging as I am not fudging or cheating when I alter die rolls. I am simply engaging a rule that has been present in 1e, 2e, 3e and 5e. And perhaps 4e, but I really don't know.

pemerton

Legend
Note that he doesn't say "don't alter the rules,"

<snip>

What it really comes down to from my perspective is how my importance you place on the rules themselves, and things like the dice.
As I've repeatedly posted, this focus on rules is a red herring.

Classic D&D has relatively few rules. There are combat rules, rules for interacting with doors, and spell descriptions. There's not much beyond that. So if a player, for instance, wants his/her PC to jump across a chasm, the GM has to make something up. Gygax's DMG doesn't give much advice on how to do this, but Moldvay Basic has quite a bit.

But the issue of changing the rules, or coming up with a resolution procedure where the game doesn't specify one, has little in common with fudging/cheating. For instance, a GM who takes the Moldvay approach of assigning a percentage possibility to an outcome is making up a new resolution procedure. But that is not the same thing as ignoring the outcome of the percentile dice once they've been rolled!

For me, all we need is a set of rules that gives us a basic resolution mechanic, and some guidelines on how to set up difficulties, and that takes care of the majority of the resolutions. If it takes care of 90%+, and I have to adjust on the fly the rest, I'm good to go. I'm not worried about a rule set that can handle every situation without error, because it requires too many rules. I like the general rule structure and game structure of D&D.
I don't see how this relates to the issue of fudging either, to be honest.

Classic D&D doesn't fit your description - it has no basic resolution mechanic - but plenty of more modern RPGs do (eg Burning Wheel, HeroWars/Quest, 5e D&D if you ignore the combat rules). But I don't see how that bears upon chnging or ignoring dice rolls once they have been made.

in an RPG I see at least two points where a player's sense of accomplishment can be attained (and they aren't mutually exclusive). One is in the master of the rules, that is, the mechanics. We entered this dungeon, and through good play (including playing the mechanics), we conquered the dungeon. This is particularly important in organized and the old tournament play, where every table is playing the same adventure. Even if it isn't an official tournament, there is a satisfaction of being able to compare your group to others.

But in another approach, it's about the characters' accomplishments more than the players'.
Your second approach I don't follow as you describe it - you don't say what contribution the players are expected to make to the shared fiction of the game, but presumably they are meant to contribute something!

I don't agree with your characterisation of classic D&D and the old tournaments. Mechanical mastery is part of what those games test, but only a part of it. The main thing they are meant to test is the ability of the players to skilfully engage the fiction.

Skilled play is a bit of a moving target I think, too. What do you consider skilled play? Is min/maxing skilled play? How do you measure the skill of role-playing? Why would you measure skilled play at all?
I can tell you what Gygax's AD&D rulebooks present as skilled play, because he describes it in some detail, especially in the PHB: it means sensible preparation (spell load outs; equipment, including magic items; party composition, which of course factors into the preceding considerations); having a goal in the dungeon (generally, either scouting or raiding); mapping well; sticking to the goal and not getting distracted/sidetracked; etc. The fact that XP are awarded for taking gold out of the dungeon, and also that those XP can be modified downwards if there was less than full-fledged challenge in getting that gold (see PHB p 106 and DMG p 85), reinforces this element of skilled play - because these skills are precisely those that will lead to treasures being recovered!

In the PHB (pp 18, 106) Gygax also explains the core functions of each class, and the latter of those pages, plus the discussion of training in the XP section of the DMG (p 86), indicate that an element of player skill also includes playing in accordance with ones' chosen class. Playing in accordance with one's chosen alignment is a further element of skill, emphasised more in the DMG than the PHB.

To reiterate what I have already posted upthread: I don't play Gygaxian D&D. I am not very good at it and don't especially enjoy it. (Those two things may be related!, although I don't think the second is just a consequence of the first.) But I think his AD&D rulebooks spell out a pretty clear picture of how to play the game. It's a type of wargaming, but in which (i) the player controls and in some sense inhabits a single protagonist, rather than controlling a whole force at a more abstracted level of engagement; and (ii) the player can play the fiction directly without mechanical mediation.

If someone is playing AD&D differently from this - eg they don't care about the supposed functions of character classes, and so eg disagree with Gygax that "Clerics who refuse to help and heal . . . are all clear examples of a POOR rating" (DMG p 86) - then they shold just ignore all Gygax's stuff that suggest PC progression should be connected to how well you play your character class. If someone thinks that alignment fidelity doesn't matter, then it would be silly to follow Gygax's advice that breaking or changing alignment can lead to level loss.

Or supose you have players who don't care about XP. In Gygaxian D&D, that is like a chess player who doesn't care about being checkmated - it makes the game break. If you have players who don't care about XP, then it makes no sense for the game to have an XP system where XP are a reward for playing well. (4e is an edition of D&D which exemplifies this - XP in 4e aren't a reward for playing well, but are earned simply by playing - at the rate of about a level's worth every 10 to 12 hours of play - and hence are simply a pacing device to manage PC progression.)

The weirdness of AD&D 2nd ed is that it preserves nearly all the Gygaxian system, yet clearly is written to be used for something very different from skilled play as his rulebooks define it. It's notionally a game of stories of epic herosim, yet it has all these stupid rules about opening doors and fighting to the death. That's why it needs a fudging option - to compensate for the mismatch between system and intended play experience.

Aldarc

Legend
A synonym is only a word that is similar and might mean the same thing as the other word, depending on circumstances. With synonyms one word doesn't equal the other.
And thankfully when you constantly shift those goal posts, those meanings can change to help you evade being a "cheater," right? ;)

In the case of fudging, it's just a term that someone came up with because they weren't cheating, but was doing something similar. The reality is that a DM altering a die roll is doing only that, altering a die roll. No fudging or cheating is really going on.
Could you please stop with the evasive double-speak?

There is no dishonesty or fraud involved in altering a die roll. It's part of the rules.
Regardless of whether it is part of the rules or not, you are being dishonest about the die results to the players. If you were not being dishonest about the dice result, then you would not need a GM screen to alter the die results. Or do you follow the idea that it is only cheating when you get caught?

I've stopped using the term fudging as I am not fudging or cheating when I alter die rolls. I am simply engaging a rule that has been present in 1e, 2e, 3e and 5e. And perhaps 4e, but I really don't know.
You have stopped using the term, but the game system does not, and it refers to it as "fudging." So you would be fudging regardless of whether you use the term to describe your actions or not when you engage that rule.

It's all a smoking gun that points back to "cheating" or when it's "okay" to cheat.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
And as it turns out "fudging" is a synonym with "cheating," "lying," "fraud," and "dishonesty." You are just endorsing a rose by any other name... And while the sense of "cheating" may not apply to your authority as GM, it does not erase the others that do apply, such as being dishonest, unethical, or playing falsely. So how is this not what @Hussar referred to as a "feel good" semantics game?

Umm, just because that's a synonym for the word, doesn't mean that's what I'm doing. Perhaps "fudging" is the wrong word? How about altering?

Because, I'd like you to explain just how, when my players know that I might use this rule, and they all agree that the rule is OK, and they are welcome to know exactly when I use it if they'd like, that I'm being dishonest, unethical, playing falsely, or being fraudulent.

How about some specific rules. These aren't necessarily from any particular game, we'll say they are house rules.

Lucky: Some characters and monsters have a lucky die. At any time, they can choose to roll a lucky die if they don't like their original roll. This alters the result of the original die roll.
Inspiration: Some characters and monsters have an Inspiration die. They can choose to roll an Inspiration die if an ally rolls poorly. This alters the result of the original die roll.
Death: The DM can opt, if the circumstances warrant (their discretion), to impose another serious consequence instead of death should the dice indicate it is so. This alters the result of the original die roll.
Circumstances: The DM can apply bonuses or penalties to the die roll should circumstances warrant. Anything that might grant advantage or disadvantage can potentially alter the roll. This can be applied before or after the roll, and the amount of modification is up to the DM, but is typically between a -5 and +5. This alters the result of the original roll.
Narrative: This is similar to death and circumstances. The DM can, at any time, and at their discretion, alter the results of the die for the benefit of the fiction/narrative. This should not be used to seriously injure or kill the PCs, but it should not eliminate consequences either. Being fair also means being fair to the monsters.

All of these are rules that alter the dice, and they have specific guidelines and/or triggers as to when they occur. The fact that in some cases the guidelines are very broad do not alter the fact that they; 1) Are rules; 2) Alter the die rolls; 3) are not dishonest, fraudulent, or unethical; 4) are not cheating.

The major difference between something like Lucky and the DM altering the result of the dice is that the DM has a lot more latitude in making the decision. They have been given permission to look at the circumstances as a whole (oops, I made this too difficult; Oops, it's too easy; Oops, this would kill a player's favorite character in a non-fun way; wow, my dice are brutal tonight; this result would be far more interesting in the fiction) to make those decisions. The player facing rules are usually based on limitations so as not to alter the balance between players/characters.

Yes, it means that the DM is granted more power over deciding what is "best" for the game in the moment. I totally get that there are a lot of people that don't want to grant them that much power. Fair enough. But that doesn't suddenly make following the rules at my table cheating. It just means that you choose to use different rules than we do.

Cheating is doing something that is not within the rules. We misuse the word all the time, and that's part of the problem. For example, you'll find lots of articles on "How to legally cheat on your taxes." It's not cheating if it's legal. Proper wording would be "Maximizing your use of tax loopholes."

My exact point has been that the wrong term is being used, and if "fudging" is the same as "cheating" then it too is the wrong term. Although I'm not fond of the term, DM Fiat is far a more appropriate term than cheating. And Gary's term (overruling the dice) is better than fudging.

Why? Because cheating. That is, actually playing dishonestly, lying to the other players, and breaking the rules to gain benefits is (and should be) universally condemned. It's wrong. And lumping GMs that are using a rule openly, honestly, and the full approval of their players is wrong. They are not part of that group.

This has nothing about being a "feel good" semantics game (although as Gene Simmons said, "I'm not anti-semantic"). The terms being used are flat out wrong. You're calling me a dishonest, lying, fraud when I've done none of those things. I'm open and honest about the rules we follow, and the scope and implementation of those rules. A rule that allows a DM to alter the results of the die by "DM discretion," simply has an very open set of triggering circumstances.

In this case, the dice are there to inform the DM and help adjudicate resolution. If the results are inappropriate (at the DM's discretion), then they are overruled. The example of changing death to something else is a prime example. The circumstances (which he described in detail, and extended to player attachment to characters), indicate that if it is inappropriate for this roll to result in death, then change it.

Although I'm sure I'll get a lot of disagreement, the DM opting to not require a roll is really the same thing. The rules call for the PC (or the DM) to roll the dice to do something like search for secret doors. Again, this is an example Gary calls out. The advice (which is sound) is that the DM should just skip rolling the dice, especially if it leads to something "exciting." The point in time that the DM overrides the rules is irrelevant. If he doesn't think about it, rolls a secret door check, and then realizes that they really should find that secret door anyway, then he overrules it after the roll (which has the same effect as adding a modifier to the roll to ensure success).

Combat is not a special case. The DM rolls two criticals in a row, and decides the PC target doesn't deserve that much punishment in this encounter. So he alters the result. Changing it from critical to not critical is the same as changing it from 20 to 19. I've called this out in my games. "Wow, just rolled another critical. That seems a bit harsh." Although in my case, I often choose to let the player decide the consequences. I've used my discretion to decide that it's not an appropriate result, i.e. I've altered or "fudged" the roll. But the player can decide what's an appropriate substitute consequence/punishment.

I don't think that sentence exists in isolation, but is instead couched in a section on the GM choosing to roll dice for the players. So that sentence does not appear to be about fudging but about the GM being able to control pacing and perspective through deciding when, how, and who can roll dice.

Furthermore, I don't think that Gygax advocates changing the die result when it comes to a character death. Instead, he appears to be advocating a prototype for a fiction first approach, such that the consequences and interpretation of the die results should follow from the fiction. The dice roll itself does not change; its imparted meaning within the context of the rules does. This idea becomes more explicit in Fate, for example: if you - as a player or GM - "take out" an opponent, then you get to dictate what happens to them: e.g., death, captured, injured, etc.

XP for this. Because it is this sentiment that truly lies behind the first formulation that actually referred to itself as "Rule Zero" (3rd Edition):
Rule Zero was "check with your dungeon master."

Yes that sentence is in the middle of a section that mentions rolling the dice for characters, but the words he chose are far more inclusive, especially in the context of the entire section and the fact that in that section he only later singles out one die roll as a roll that should never be changed. More importantly, there's a vastly different thing between rolling the dice for the players, and overruling the dice (again, "fudging").

So if the dice indicate death (because that's the only option in the rules), and he advocates altering that result to something else, how is that not altering the result of the dice (i.e. "fudging")? You're supposed to die. The DM decided you didn't.

The fiction first approach is "fudging" or altering the dice enshrined in rules. At least that one specific example. It's taking what Gary (and others) recognized, and codifying it in a different way. White Wolf went one direction, Fate and other games addressed it in a different manner. It's recognizing that a valid reason for the DM altering the results of the die is for the narrative. Instead of saying you have every right of changing it, they suggest that other options are valid besides just death. By providing other options and suggestions, it still leaves it up to the GM's discretion as to what the result is, but the guidelines are more specific, and the circumstances are more limited. Many of the games take it farther and put the control in the hands of the players too.

The thing is, this sort of flexibility, the recognition that there are other alternatives, is something I like about many of the more modern game systems. I also find that I was already giving the players a lot more control over the fiction, and that codifying that made sense too. That's something from a lot of the story now approach I like, even if I don't like the overall mechanics.

If most of the time the dice work just fine, and the rest of the time the DM can make an informed judgement call and address it on the fly, that works just fine. In reality, my players get to "fudge" the dice too. For the same reason - fiction first. For example, it's tied up in our critical hit and miss rules. If you score a critical hit, you decide the hit location, and often the results of that hit. The DM might make some of that decision, and I do have mechanics written to help as well. But most of the time we skip the mechanics and go with what is right for the moment. If the player rolls a critical miss, they decide what that means. Again, I have guidelines about the sort of thing that might happen, but they decide and I, as the DM, approve (and really, so does the table). Sometimes it means that nothing different happens. It's just a miss, or just a hit.

But I also think that DM discretion is there for a reason. I'm taking the responsibility to make this game exciting, fun, challenging, etc. for the players and the characters. If I find that I'm missing the mark, then I reserve the right to use whatever means I need to get it back on track. With the table's permission, of course. The more I've been studying how we play, the more I see it's a blend of all sorts of different rules approaches that have been developed over the years.

How is any of this lying, fraudulent, or dishonest? So no, it's not just a "feel good" discussion and not just semantics. I believe that the assertion that what we are doing is dishonest or fraudulent to be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Regardless of whether it is part of the rules or not, you are being dishonest about the die results to the players. If you were not being dishonest about the dice result, then you would not need a GM screen to alter the die results. Or do you follow the idea that it is only cheating when you get caught?

I rarely roll dice behind the screen, and attack rolls pretty much never. Secrecy is a red herring here, there are lots of other rules that use secrecy from the players, in this and other games.

Even being "dishonest" is a bit of a red herring, as games can codify that into their rules as well. For example, is bluffing in poker cheating?

I put dishonest in quotes because there is a difference between being dishonest in a way that is cheating, and one that isn't. Oh, wait, that difference would be defined in the rules wouldn't it? That is, any dishonesty that is allowed is not cheating.

But the reality is, I don't think that all DMs that alter rolls are being dishonest anyway. I certainly don't see how overruling a die I've rolled that everyone can see is dishonest.

I need a DM screen to keep things that need to be secret for the time being, secret. The reality is, altering a die roll almost never needs to be secret as far as I'm concerned. The only die rolls that I think have any potential benefit in being secret are those where the player/character wouldn't know that failure is the result of performing a skill poorly (a low roll), or that there is nothing there (such as a search for a secret door). Even those, in reality, I think are largely unnecessary. Knowing that you've searched thoroughly (a good roll) and not found anything is a good indication that there's nothing to be found. Having a nagging sense that you might have missed something is not a bad thing. I'm not going to say I never roll dice for the characters, but I can't remember when I last did it. I can't think of a reason when I would, even though I understand the reasoning why others might (and I'm not condemning it as bad, just a different approach).

So suffice to say, there are assumptions being made here that aren't 100% correct. In a game that the table rules allow the DM to alter rolls, it can be done in the open, with all rolls visible.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Or supose you have players who don't care about XP. In Gygaxian D&D, that is like a chess player who doesn't care about being checkmated - it makes the game break. If you have players who don't care about XP, then it makes no sense for the game to have an XP system where XP are a reward for playing well. (4e is an edition of D&D which exemplifies this - XP in 4e aren't a reward for playing well, but are earned simply by playing - at the rate of about a level's worth every 10 to 12 hours of play - and hence are simply a pacing device to manage PC progression.)

Umm, we played AD&D without XP, at least without using it in the way it was originally designed, with XP for treasure and killing monsters. We leveled up at what we felt were appropriate times. Didn't seem to break the game. I guess you'd say we did reward XP for playing well, but used an entirely different system than what was provided.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads