D&D 5E Everyday Heroes Review

Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition loomed large in the gaming landscape twenty years ago. Wizards attempted to spin off a few products from its monolith. One of the most fondly remembered is D20 Modern which tore apart the chassis to Third Edition and rebuilt it with even more modularity in mind. Earlier this year, Evil Genius Games launched a Kickstarer for Everyday Heroes, a game which...

1670270260565.png

Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition loomed large in the gaming landscape twenty years ago. Wizards attempted to spin off a few products from its monolith. One of the most fondly remembered is D20 Modern which tore apart the chassis to Third Edition and rebuilt it with even more modularity in mind. Earlier this year, Evil Genius Games launched a Kickstarer for Everyday Heroes, a game which proposed merging the sensibilities of D20 Modern with the updated mechanics of Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition. Not only that, it boasted several licensed RPG books such as The Crow, Escape From New York, Kong: Skull Island and more powered by the system. The core book for Everyday Heroes and the first pair of licensed books have gone out to backers and to reviewers like me. Did they rise to the occasion of their ambition? Let’s play to find out.

Sigfried Trent, Chris “Goober” Ramsley and D. Todd Scott are the credited designers of Everyday Heroes with D20 Modern designers Owen K.C. Stevens and Jeff Grubb billed as Editor In Chief and Design Consultant respectively. The book certainly evokes the style of the old D20 Modern with a modern industrial look full of bullet holes, warning signs and slate gray backgrounds. The artwork runs from merely okay to very good with a notable diversity in body types and skin color. The book seems to be pushing an action movie world but it’s nice to see a variety of people getting mixed up in the over the top cinematic shenanigans.

There are other additions to the book that make it a little more user friendly than Fifth Edition. The book has an appendix that lists the major changes between this game and Fifth Edition. It’s a good bullet point summary for someone familiar with the original as to what they should be aware of being different, such as vehicle damage or that feats are an important part of the character leveling process. It also has a chart showing the complexity of the different archetypes and classes. I like this newer trend of designers explaining how and why different character types have different complexity. It makes those choices up front a little easier as newer players are often drawn to more complex characters such as magic users. I would have liked a little more discussion as to what the complexity ratings meant but that might be for a web enhancement or supplement book.

Characters are built from four main pieces: archetype, background, profession and class. Archetype and class are grouped like Class and subclass featuring a broad category and a specific focus for the character. The archetypes are where Everyday Heroes shows its strongest influence from D20 Modern with each one focused on the main attribute the characters use; Strong characters focus on Strength, Wise characters focus on Wisdom and so on. The Strong Hero archetype has a Brawler, Heavy Gunner and MMA Fighter available, while the Tough Hero has a Bodyguard, Commando and Scrapper. Many archetypes have classes that riff on a character type, such as the Strong MMA Fighter, the Agile Martial Artist and the Wise Master all being bare handed fighters that use their main ability to beat people up.

Smart characters are the domain of spellcasters but in a clever bit of design, the game recasts spells as Plans. They work in the same way as spells with usage slots and spells that increase in power as the character goes up in levels but they are built to service movie fantasy instead of Tolkien fantasy. The Hacker, for example, can manipulate technology to do everything from bricking a device to using an opponent’s social media profile to gain advantage on attack rolls. Given how often my friends who are IT professionals complain about “magic hacking” in TV and movies, these plans feel like an excellent substitute for massive spell lists while still filling the slot for players who like to mess with reality in games.

Everyday Heroes also shaves away some of the legacy mechanics from both games. Levels run from 1-10 with explicit milestone leveling determined by the GM. Players gain feats every even level and class abilities on every odd. Feats really drive home the customization in the design. There are major and minor feats and when a character gains feats they can pick one major or two minor feats. The vast majority of feats are minor, which mean those levels allow characters to take two. Most of the boring stuff associated with leveling up are covered by minor feats such as gaining attribute points or extra skill proficiencies. Most of the major feats cover a very specific style of attack with the most interesting ones being multiclass feats. These feats let players dip into other archetypes and classes and it’s a much more elegant way to make modular characters than what’s currently available. Between this main use of a feat tree and the way Pathfinder 2e handles multiclassing in a similar manner, I hope the designers of One D&D are paying attention.

The first two cinematic adventures are Escape From New York and The Crow. Each one offers a similar structure: world information, at least one new unique class, mechanics focused on the specific world and a full adventure in the setting. On the one hand, the adventure takes up the majority of the page count in each volume, which means if you want the cool backgrounds, classes and other bits for your home game and aren’t a fan of the property, it can feel like you’re buying a lot of useless material. There’s some neat stuff in these mechanics and for a game built on character customization its always good to have more options. On the other hand, one of the best ways to get people into the hobby is to find their fandom and run a game based on that story. While I think I would have preferred more generic genre books with advice on how to run stories in urban fantasy or urban post-apocalypse, I also like that I can take this game to friends, find a movie they like and spin up a game with little prep to see if maybe we want to take Everyday Heroes out for the long haul.

If you want a more modular version of Fifth Edition centered on modern day adventures, Everyday Heroes is an excellent choice.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

Hit Points are pretty much like 5e.

AC (Defense in Everyday Heroes) is calculated differently (not based on armor) but functions the same way in play.

Personal armor (like a ballistic vest) is simulated with an Armor Saving Throw that happens if you are going to go to 0HP, and prevents the damage if successful. There is also a system of Armor Value vs Penetration Value to determine if a given defense works against a given attack. This system is also used for destroying objects and in the vehicle mechanics.

Knock-Outs are not simulated directly. You would have to take someone down to 0-hp to knock them out. There is a rule for choosing to KO someone instead of kill them, but you would have to take them to 0-HP. That's certainly doable in the right circumstances and 5e allows meaningful combat between lower-level enemies and higher-level players.
Thank you, that's helpful to know - interesting approach re: body armour as a saving throw against getting downed, that's very good for genre stuff.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The overly "inclusive" artwork...not a fan

Mod Note:
Really?

You just insulted every minority reader of this thread, by saying that their being present in the artwork is a problem for you. We have an inclusivity policy - and you just posted in a way that discriminates against people based on their skin color. That's a problem.

You're done in this discussion. Next time, please take your discriminatory thoughts to other venues.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Knock-Outs are not simulated directly. You would have to take someone down to 0-hp to knock them out. There is a rule for choosing to KO someone instead of kill them, but you would have to take them to 0-HP. That's certainly doable in the right circumstances and 5e allows meaningful combat between lower-level enemies and higher-level players.

Thats kinda disappointing really, the non-combat KO (and even coup de grace) is such a fundamental part of Stealth-play that not having it entirely ruins the fiction for me.
I can deal with it in fantasy thuggery but imho its imperative for the espionage genre. Maybe attack v str save on an unaware target? Result is Unconcious state

Thats kinda disappointing really, the non-combat KO (and even coup de grace) is such a fundamental part of Stealth-play that not having it entirely ruins the fiction for me.
I can deal with it in fantasy thuggery but imho its imperative for the espionage genre. Maybe attack v str save on an unaware target? Result is Unconcious state
Con save seems more like what to use to resist getting knocked out.

I would probably do best of three opposed rolls of Stealth vs. Wis save and or Attack vs. Con save. Nat 20 wins the contest on either side automatically. If the infiltrator wins, the guard goes down with Unconscious condition. If the guard wins *Metal Gear Alert noise"

Weiley31

Legend

Con save seems more like what to use to resist getting knocked out.

I would probably do best of three opposed rolls of Stealth vs. Wis save and or Attack vs. Con save. Nat 20 wins the contest on either side automatically. If the infiltrator wins, the guard goes down with Unconscious condition. If the guard wins *Metal Gear Alert noise"
Nah make it easy. Make guards during "stealth sections" follow the rules for Minions from Flee, Mortals. So, One HP. But when the fighting breaks out, keep minions one HP still, while uniques, bosses, and rivals follow regular HP standards or what not.

sigfried

Adventurer
Sorry to let you down on that account.

I think it's a tricky thing to balance in a game with levels and hit points. If you can do one-hit takedowns, then that becomes the best thing to do in every combat as it bypasses a lot of the defenses a target normally has. It also makes stealth the most valuable and powerful skill in the game for combat situations. If you are doing a very stealth-heavy game, then I think it would be fine, but with a rule like that, players can start to try and turn every game into a stealth-based adventure because it's simply the best and safest way to take down opponents.

I think using the base rules can work, so long as you make the guards a sufficiently low CR vs the level of the heroes. Heroes can do quite a bit of damage when they have surprise on their side. A level 1 scoundrel could sneak up and punch a guard for 1d4+1d6+3, and that's going to drop most 0 or 1/8 CR NPCs pretty reliably. (more if they were using some kind of weapon) A level 5 Brawler could pop someone for 1d6+3d6+12 unarmed (using power attack) which will on average drop a CR 1 NPC.

Tell you what, despite all that, when I get to Rambo in a month or so, I'll take a hard look at sneaking up and taking out targets in this kind of situation and see what I can come up with that won't have the balance issues mentioned above, or at least provide some rich guidance for GMs on how to use the rules to accomplish this with the right feel and balance. :)

sigfried

Adventurer
Nah make it easy. Make guards during "stealth sections" follow the rules for Minions from Flee, Mortals. So, One HP. But when the fighting breaks out, keep minions one HP still, while uniques, bosses, and rivals follow regular HP standards or what not.
I've already got plans to introduce an optional system along those lines for Rambo. (one, or two hit NPCs)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I've been thinking of picking up Everyday Heroes. I liked the concepts of d20 Modern, but thought it a bit more complex than I would have liked.My two favorite books of that line were Urban Arcana and d20 Future.

What I would be interested in seeing is a set of urban fantasy rules (which you guys said is coming), some future rules (to emulate Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc.), and some cybernetic rules (maybe for a cyberpunk feel).

Also looking forward to picking up the book on The Crow. That was such a good movie.
As an aside, @sigfried , I feel your pain regarding names. My name is Trampas, which I have to spell and/or explain on a weekly basis. And it's been misspelled plenty! :D

Weiley31

Legend
Upon thumbing through The Vault:Rules Compendium Vol 1 book earlier today, I've come to a conclusion.

I'm gonna allow a number(not all) of the subclasses in it, and via proxy, the Everyday Heroes classes, as class options/choices for low magic/level campaigns.

If the 5E PHB classes are the epic heroes of campaigns, the Everyday Heroes classes are the 9-5 who clock in or go "That's above my pay grade."

The town guards or the hired help if ya will. The ones who are the rank and file soldiers. Etc, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads