Everyday Magic Items

Castellan

First Post
I've been leading my players toward a city of high magic for some adventure, and I'm looking for some ideas of "mundane" magic items. To date, my campaign's magic-level has been lower-than-average. My players are all around 6th to 7th level, and each has one or two magic items, and not everyone has a +1 weapon, yet.

However, what I'm looking for are Wow! items that my players (and their characters) will think are really cool, but don't really affect game-play much. I'd like things that a society built on higher magic would use as everyday benefits, or as signs of affluence.

For instance, shoes that allow one to "hover" an inch above the ground, but don't provide true levitation. Or tunics/vests that magically re-weave/re-color themselves based on the mood of the wearer (mood vests!).

Inside homes and businesses, I'd like to see things like kitchen "appliances" that keep food cold :) and such. Things that PCs would never have seen before and are really cool!

I'm hoping for contributions along the lines of what people like SHARK might come up with. Any ideas? Please post them! The more I have, the better. I want this city to seem very strange and unique for my players to visit.

Thanks!

Thirsty

First Post
Here are a few ideas of the top of my head.

- boots/clothes that repel dirt
- a "subway" system of teleport portals
- gate to plane of fire for heating
- gate to plane of water for water supply
- illusions as photos

Xarlen

First Post
A permenant Otto's Freezing Sphere, as a fridge.

A teleportation portal into an ice cave; fridge.

Gloves that, when placed on, paint one's fingernails.

Auto-sizing cloths; one size fits all!

Mirrors with Magic Mouths that tell the person what they think.

Clairaudiance permenantly cast on two cups, for communication.

Clairaudiance cast on a pair of tented glasses, set in a spesific loctation. Works as a television.

Levitating platform for elevator.

A broom that casts Unseen Sevant, for cleaning.

A bathtub that summons a small water elemental, which cleans the participant. As well, a small air elemental is summoned to dry the inhabitant of the tub, after their scrubbing.

Crothian

First Post
Instead of the maps that say you are here, have illusionary maps that literally say You are here, and have them programed to give general information depending the questions asked.

Continual flames everywhere

Cedric

First Post
Non-existent Bridges...

Amulet's are provided to the PC's that allow them to cross the multitude of bridges crossing wonderous chasms and rivers in the city.

Only, there are no bridges, unless you have an amulet. With it on, you see a normal bridge and you cross is normally. With it off, you see no bridge and evidence/investigation will prove that in fact, no bridge exists. (note: Citizens of the city do not seem to have amulets and also have no problems. Also, one person's amulet will not work for another person).

Unseen servants...

Simple yet refined, there is one "bound" to each room, capable of being summoned or dismissed at will, able to follow simple and even mildly complex directions (Go to the kitchen's and get me a drink of water with a wedge of lemon).

Elementals...

Small playful elementals that do all manner of chores from play with the local kids (playing tag with an air elemental), providing light in darkened corridors, helping in construction and other tasks.

Cedric

Last edited:

Castellan

First Post
Excellent ideas!

In the case of the Clairaudience "cups" you might even have someone in a "station" placing cups against each other in a form of telephone exchange! Cool!

Xarlen

First Post
Animated cookwear. It mixes! It slices! It dices!

On the same vein, animated cleaning supplies; brooms, mops, rags... Let's not bring Micki into this.

Several shocker lizards that, while well cared for, are placed in a rubber box, with copper wiring. There's a switch that causes the floor of the box to shake, angering the lizards, and causing them to use their electric powers. Which, in turn, is conducted through the copper wiring. Offer all sorts of electrical goodies.

Remember, this society could also have bred magical creatures, into varying sizes, domestication, and temperment. In one of the FR books, on Haluraa (A nation of mages), they have bred behirs down to the point where they're miniature pets, although only kept by nobility, or as moat guards.

Ruavel

First Post
ideas...

use Chill Metal, Heat Metal & something like Gust of Wind to produce a Wondrous Heating & Cooling Unit for each room in the home....

Also with Chill Metal, Heat Metal and Create Water you could have hot and cold taps with no obvious plumbing...

Small viewing portals in a house's front door could be enchanted with Detect Evil, Good, Chaos, Law, Poison & Magic so that you can "inspect" your visitor before they enter your home...

A Loom or Wheel of Fabrication can turn cotton or wool into quality cloth ready for use to Craft clothes etc...

Ghost Sound used to make 'door bells'

just some ideas to help get the 'gears' moving... more to come...

Remove ads