Everything D&D Ever - Chapter 1: Temple of the Frog

Shayuri

First Post
Kestrel frowned a little. She didn't like how he'd looked at a few other people too. But this was her only lead, and she couldn't help feeling like she was already taking too long.

So she got up, went to his table and sat down.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Odum looked at Xana, as she locked eyes with the hooded figure that entered, then at the figure directly. When Xana broke the stare, she looked down at her tome immediately.

What the heck was that? Who is that? Is that the guy? That's the guy!

What are you talking about? What guy?

I dunno, the guy-guy. The one Azalak told you had "vast and magical... um..." What did he say again? Anyway, I bet that creepy guy is them, him. That. Go make friends with him.

Are you kidding me? I came in here with a hood to hide my horns, until I could hide them with this hat and my eyes with these glasses.

(I like the hat.)

(thanks, me too.) And I'm only this way by accident, but I'm really very nice. That hood-guy is wearing a hood on purpose. What are the odds that people wearing hoods are accidental monsters and both very nice? None! No way, I'm staying here. You go.

Me?! Send the monkey? What are you gonna do, stay here and knit?!

No! I'll... monitor... you... Why are we even talking about this? How do we know Azalak didn't send use here to meet... that minstrel who just came off stage? Or that one, over there?

Yeah, right, the Cambion King sent you here for the mystical secrets learned (a) from the creepy warlock-looking scary guy, or (b) by flirting with cute boys!

Master and familiar glared at each other for a long moment.

Fine! I'll go talk to the Warlock-demon-in-a-cloak! Xana slammed her tome shut and shoved it into her satchel, clutching her cloak around her body. She stomped towards the shadows where the newcomer had placed themselves. I hope the new Master you get when I'm melted into goo thinks monkey paws grant wishes!

Fine! Then you can explain what that means when I get back from talking to those cute boys! Odum stormed off, hopping along shoulders to land in front of the nearest handsome half-elven Bard.

Hey. I just got in a big fight with my girlfriend. Got any peanuts?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The room was crowded, but Bran finally found an empty stool next to a tough looking gnome lass sitting on the bar itself. Her feet were propped on the stool, and she was leaning back, obviously enjoying her sampling of the new brew. Looks like it's not her first, either. He tipped his hat to her with an amused smile, then gestured to the barkeep for a (watered down) drink of his own and plopped down on the stool, his back to the bar so he could keep an eye on the crowd and the door.

Lillily smiles when Bran sits down next to her. He doesn't look like he wants conversation but she makes small talk, smirking when he orders a weak beer, and suggesting that he might want to pace himself. She offers her name, but doesn't pursue anything deep, enjoying the time just watching those come in. As it turns out this is her first pint, but she asks him to fetch one of the new brew once it starts being distributed, if he wouldn't mind terribly, thankyouverymuch.

(If he does, great; if not, he will receive an eye roll, and she'll upend her empty stein onto the bar, and hop down and make her way to grab one of the new brew for herself, and one for Bran as well.)

The appearance of the shrouded figure (an elf, perhaps? hmmmm) intrigued Lillily, if only because he (she?) was so obvious about being seen. "You going over?" Lillily asks Bran, smiling big, with the gap in her smile front and center.

She hops down again and makes her way over to the figure.

"Hi!", she says, sitting down beside him. "I'm Lillillily. hee."

sithramir

First Post
The instance the hooded stranger's and Taranis's glowing green eyes locked a sort of recognition overcame him.

"It can't be. Could it truly be another Sidhe warrior? Perhaps my worst fears haven't come to pass?

Standing from his table, brew in hand, Taranis signals to his halfing companion his good-bye. Looking at the strange winged creature "Come my little sheFAralach (a somewhat derogatory but common Sylvan word often used such creatures). We must tread lightly."

His smile being replaced with a very serious and concerning look, Taranis slowly walks towards the stranger. He bows formally with a flourish.

One of the barkeeps having kept her eyes lingering on Taranis steps by a new mug of the Nectar in her hands with a nervous smile as she glances as Taranis. A smile on his face only for the waitress he asks "Young miss. If you could provide a mug for my new friend? A small sleight of hand to pull out a silver piece for her.

Turning to the newcomer he asks "Lo Alul. Mie'Lorvor eretes. Val Taranis. A Sylvan greeting roughly translated to "Good Eve. My sword is sheathed, My name Taranis", followed in common with "May I sit?

Brother Dave

First Post
Lillily smiles when Bran sits down next to her. He doesn't look like he wants conversation but she makes small talk, smirking when he orders a weak beer, and suggesting that he might want to pace himself. She offers her name, but doesn't pursue anything deep, enjoying the time just watching those come in. As it turns out this is her first pint, but she asks him to fetch one of the new brew once it starts being distributed, if he wouldn't mind terribly, thankyouverymuch.

Bran exchanged names and pleasantries with the gnome, Lillily, and laughingly went to fetch her a pint of the Gold Nectar. Returning with the brew, he had the eerie feeling that he was being watched. He turned and met a pair of glowing green eyes that seemed to bore into his soul. For a moment he felt as if he were rooted in place; then the gaze moved on to another and he gasped, not realizing until that moment that he had been holding his breath. That's trouble, right there, he thought. He shivered, then shrugged it off and returned with Lillily's brew.

"You going over?" Lillily asks Bran, smiling big, with the gap in her smile front and center.

Bran had a strange feeling he knew what she meant, though he hoped he was wrong. He didn't need more excitement in his life right now. Sure enough, when he turned to follow her course, he found that she was headed straight for the cloaked figure. Of course she is.

He debated whether to follow or get back to work, then signed in resignation. Was there ever any doubt. Of course you'll follow, nitwit, he thought to himself, setting actions to thoughts as he made his way through the crowd after Lillily. You just can't resist a mystery, can you? Or a challenge. Probably get yourself killed this time. Despite his self deprecating thoughts, he moved quickly to catch up. "Aye, lass, I'm coming," he said quietly. Besides, the lass is in her cups. She might need a clear head along, he rationalized - though it was fairly obvious she could handle herself. And who knows - it might make for a good story someday.

As they neared the newcomer's table, he saw that he and the gnome girl were not the only ones to respond to the...summons? The pretty elf-blooded lad with the lute and the tiefling girl also appeared to be converging on the table. Hmm...I wonder who else is joining this little party. Bran moved discretely off to one side, standing where he could see and hear the interactions at the table and still see anyone entering the tavern. He settled into his familiar information gathering stance and waited patiently to see what would happen next.

fireinthedust

Explorer
OOC: Is Bran not one of the half-elf bards? Gotta double check the RG thread. I'd intended to give him someone to talk to, in the form of Odum. Ah well.

IC:

Xana walked up to the cloaked figure's table, but before she could say anything, other patrons passed her and sat down at the booth. She was about to casually stroll past the table, when Odum landed on her shoulder.

Did you talk to him? Did he melt you? Hey look, you made some friends! Geez, all I got was funny looks. Hey guys! You're not face-melting Warlocks, right?

The winged monkey on Xana's shoulder waved at that last part, his voice sounding scratchy and casual.

Xana's face is stunned, having her monkey talking to strangers. The other patrons don't seem so bad, but the cloaked figure still gives her a sense of unease.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Samara frowned as she watched the minions of what she she assumed was the demon from her vision gather around it. A gnome and a pair of creatures with likely familiars... this did not bode well. Wisdom would dictate that she return to the temple to seek reinforcements, but if she left now, she might lose sight of the demon and the search would begin anew.

Besides, there were scads of patrons around... innocents, all... but then, perhaps not.

Didn't the demon from her vision have yellow eyes?

Ah, Samara thought, a trickster indeed. She gathered her resolve, and with a quick prayer, Better to ask forgiveness than permission, she strode purposefully to the cloaked figure's table with the others.

Samara clutched her holy symbol in hand and, with an accusatory finger, pointed at the green-eyed figure and declared, "Stand and be judged, Deceiver!"

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The cloaked figure starts to respond to Taranis when they are interrupted by Samara. The glowing green eyes fix on Samara and a whispered voice emerges from the hood, not human, but not threatening, "Deception and truth are two extremes of one spectrum. Just as good and evil, law and chaos...anything that people define as one or the other. All these things exist not as dualities, but as ranges of being, with the center always holding, always balanced, always enduring, when the extremes fall."

The hood is pulled back, revealing a face without an identifiable gender, elven in shape, but somehow neither elven nor fey. The being has an otherworldly quality, a presence that is felt, not seen, and hard to describe. The not-elf turns back to Taranis, "Yralla taen sirve, muir thyalre." It takes a moment for Taranis to muddle through the words...they were an ancient dialect from a timeless place, something before sylvan and elven, the root from which both languages sprung. The translation was roughly, "Respect and honor I, to you, give."

OOC: Anyone with knowledge of both the elven and sylvan languages can piece together the translation as well. Otherwise, make a DC 20 Wisdom (Insight) or Intelligence (Arcana) check.

The not-elf's glowing green eyes again examines each of those gathered in turn, lingering on Taranis and Samara. Though he speaks to all, his gaze remains fixed on Samara, "I apologize if I offend or disturb. I am not a demon or agent of evil. Nor am I an agent of good. I simply am. And I need your help."

Remove ads