Everything D&D Ever - Chapter 1: Temple of the Frog

fireinthedust

Explorer
Xana holds her breath as Alara uses her senses, as she does when the half-elf challenges the stranger. She hadn't thought about whether her fiendish curse would register her as a fiend, nor if her familiar Odum would set off the senses of these holy and pious people.

I must be good of heart! Whew! Note to self: good things *do* happen to good people! She sighs inwardly.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
After opening her eyes, Alara continues to whisper to Samara.

Whatever this creature is, it is not celestial, fiend, or undead. Now, this does not mean that they are not blessed with ill-intentions towards us. I should caution also that they are probably much more powerful than they appear. My.......patron....... is of no insignificant power, and for this creature to be able to influence or offer something of interest to my patron would be no small feat.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"This sounds like fun," suggests Lillily. "I'll have to talk to my captain first to see if he will be able to live without me. But don't worry," she says, looking around, "I'll keep you all safe."

She finishes off the beer (is it good? does she have enough information to report back to her captain?). Perhaps she goes off to try another draught, if the line has died down, pretending that she never got one in the first place.

"Should we plan on leaving tomorrow? Ooh, if you have supplies and things, that's great. Do you have a gnome-sized breastplate that I could borrow? Ooh, and could one of you big and strong people carry my rations and things for me? I need to be swift and agile if I'm going to be any use to you, and it would help me if one of you could do that." She grins again. "Adventure!"

OOC: I asked about encumbrance rules here; I think the variant rules make sense, because of cases like Lillily, but of course it's DM's call.

Brother Dave

First Post
Taken aback by Araushnee's response, Bran looked around at the small group while he ordered his thoughts. He considered each of his erstwhile companions, measuring the little he knew of each and the danger they might face together. Can I trust them at my back? Wait! What am I thinking? Do I even want to do this?

He let his eyes travel around the crowded tavern, a knot forming in his stomach as they reached the door. He thought of the months of running, travelling alone, always looking over his shoulder. Eking out a living entertaining drunkards, trying to stretch his small cache of coins between gigs. Wondering when he would be caught. Even if he eluded Armiger's grasp, he knew it was only a matter of time before his tongue got him in trouble again. And knowing that somewhere, out there, they were most likely still looking for him.

As he listened to the responses of the others, a slow smile started on his face. Suddenly, the promise of a bold adventure seemed very appealing. Looking forward instead of always looking back. Facing the unknown with hope instead of fear. Making the stories instead of just telling them. And oh, the stories! He felt flushed at the prospect, more alive than he had felt in a long time. Did this creature, this godling, somehow know what was in his heart? Did she know what he was running from? Does it matter?

He nodded to Araushnee. "All right. If these others are going, then count me in as well."

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Samara listened to Alara's calm explanation. Eyeing her vestments and armaments, Samara deduced that she must be a holy crusader, not unlike herself. In her studies, she read of warriors who possessed such virtue that they could see into the hearts of men and find Evil therein. Samara nodded to Alara, satisfied with her assessment. Thank you, warrior of virtue, she whispered.

When the stranger identified itself as one of the noble Elven court, she nearly passed out from shock and embarrassment.

Immediately, she dropped to one knee before Araushnee and pleaded, "Forgive my impertinence, Sainted One! My cudgel is yours; point me to this Temple and I shall cleanse it in your name."

Samara turned to face the group. "I know neither your names nor your motivations, but know this: I am Samara Renae, Billet and priestess of Saith Cuthbert, and any who try to bring ruin to this holy task shall face swift and painful consequence."

mudbunny

Community Supporter
As Samara all but prostrates herself in front of Araushnee, Alara watches in astonishment.

She nudges Samara with her foot. "Stand up you fool. No-one is worth this."

In her mind, Alara fires off a thought to Eltab. Don't ever expect that from me.

fireinthedust

Explorer
So, let me try to understand you: you're saying you're an elven queen, and you want us to go to the actual Temple of the Frog... and do what, exactly? Poke around, see what's in there? Or is there something specific you'd like us to get for you? I'm interested, but I would like to know... well, more. And why us? Wouldn't you have, I don't know, legions of elves willing to serve you? Knights and squires, I guess? We're strangers at a tavern.

Xana blushes a bit when she realizes she's talking to potentially elven royalty. I don't mean to be rude, um, your ladyship. I like to be thorough, is all. Librarian in me, I suppose you could say.

Shayuri

First Post
While the others talked, the Kestrel listened. She'd gotten very good at that out of sheer necessity. By sheer coincidence? She thought not. The Council of Shades had set her on this collision course...and that made her think very carefully about their motives. She'd assumed the Temple of Frogs was the objective, but what if it was this Araushnee?

She led her people in the realm of Darkness.

If there was anything the Council despised, it was competition.

Kestrel was fairly sure her intended purpose was not to try to kill this being. It was clear that was beyond her skills. It was rather more likely they wanted to know what Araushnee wanted with the Temple of Frogs. They'd found out about the elf-god's intended patronage, and sent someone as quickly as they could. And of course, because Kestrel had had to do her own legwork, it didn't look suspicious to anyone watching. She hadn't just come straight to the meeting, no...she'd had to seek it out. Ask around. Find it. Like anyone else would have.

To that end, she needed to play the part of one of these 'adventurers' a little more.

"I agree," she said quietly. "What do you want from us in the Temple? And is a 'cache' of weapons and supplies all the reward that awaits us, when we succeed?"

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OOC: Just to clarify, Araushnee is not a god. In this setting, at least at the time of Blackmoor, Corellon and his wives are similar in power to the Court of Stars, though they serve as leaders of mortal elven nations.

Araushnee answers the gnome, "I am not sure of the contents of the supplies to be honest. They are the spoils of a skirmish with a party of bandits when I and my brethren first arrived in these lands.

When Samara prostrates herself, Araushnee looks around quickly to make sure no one is paying attention, then nods in agreement with Alara, "I am not one of your saints. A leader I may be but of the elves, not of you. I ask a favor of you, that is all."

She turns to Xana, "As I noted before, I called to everyone here. You answered. Why you answered when others did not only you can say. As for what you will be doing...I would see the Temple destroyed, if possible. Rendered powerless if not. And I cannot command my people to do this. They prepare for war with Blackmoor and...they do not know I am here. Blackmoor wants to exploit the Temple's power. My people say they want it destroyed but many among the leaders of our armies plot to capture it for themselves instead. It must not fall into anyone's hands. It must be destroyed."

To Kestrel she states simply, "Whatever spoils that lie within the Temple are yours as well. I have no interest in whatever trinkets the cultists and bandits there have managed to collect. If you require more, find me in the elven army's main camp on the northern coast when the Temple is destroyed and I will see to it that you are properly rewarded for your efforts."

sithramir

First Post
I have traveled these lands and it is clear that much unrest already threatens these people.

If I can help bring comfort and safety back to these homes by investigating this Temple then I will indeed join you.

What other information do you have to help us on our journey? A map? Help with travel? Horses? Some magical means of traveling or providing us with a faster means to get there?

You mentioned nearly 5 weeks journey away. Assuming we were prepared to leave today a lot can happen then.

Last edited:

Remove ads