• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You're having the argument about evil cultists with the wrong poster.
No I'm not. My point was that the Elemental Evil Cult wasn't a good fit for Ravenloft. You're saying that I'm trying to impose my vision of Ravenloft as the Only True One. I'm showing why I'm not, and using the EEC as my example.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
No I'm not. My point was that the Elemental Evil Cult wasn't a good fit for Ravenloft. You're saying that I'm trying to impose my vision of Ravenloft as the Only True One. I'm showing why I'm not, and using the EEC as my example.
Sigh. Yes, you are having the argument with the wrong poster. I never said the EEC was an amazing fit for Ravenloft. I disagree with your interpretation of Ravenloft. Sorry you cannot accept that. Is it horror related? Then there's a place for it in Ravenloft. It's the D&D horror setting. Again, not everything in the multiverse that's evil should be shunted off to Ravenloft, but every kind of evil absolutely has a place in Ravenloft. If you want to alter the setting to fit your idea of it, grand. Don't presume anyone else agrees. And there's really no need to dig in and argue about it. You're doing your thing with the setting. Good for you. I'm not doing that same thing. Let it go.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sigh. Yes, you are having the argument with the wrong poster. I never said the EEC was an amazing fit for Ravenloft.
I know you didn't say EEC was the right fit. It's pretty clear from what you're writing below that you don't understand what I was talking about, which was about the tone of the evil.

I disagree with your interpretation of Ravenloft. Sorry you cannot accept that. Is it horror related? Then there's a place for it in Ravenloft. It's the D&D horror setting. Again, not everything in the multiverse that's evil should be shunted off to Ravenloft, but every kind of evil absolutely has a place in Ravenloft. If you want to alter the setting to fit your idea of it, grand. Don't presume anyone else agrees. And there's really no need to dig in and argue about it. You're doing your thing with the setting. Good for you. I'm not doing that same thing. Let it go.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I know you didn't say EEC was the right fit. It's pretty clear from what you're writing below that you don't understand what I was talking about, which was about the tone of the evil.
Okay. Tone. I still disagree with you. I'm not misunderstanding you. I just disagree. Are you willing to let it go yet?

I think the issue is why the elemental cults are not a good fit for Ravenloft. I would say, it's because they aren't particularly disturbing.

They are evil. So what?! D&D characters fight evil all the time. It's nice and simple, and they can kill it without worrying about the moral implications.

If you want disturbing elementals, then you need the Invisible Stalker serial killer, who murders it's victims from the inside. Or the Djinn who twists wishes so that a person is destroyed by their own desires. (Okay, the Wishmaster films weren't very good, but the idea is there).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting - what did you think you were doing differently to "people on forums"?

The biggest division-point I see re: reddit (which has vastly more in the way of "new to D&D with 5E" people) and here is attitudes to rolled stats, oddly enough. Here people see them as reasonable albeit inherently imbalanced and with some accompanying issues to be aware of. On the subreddit for Next I've seen attitudes towards rolled stats which basically amount to considering them outright heresy, or an active attempt to destroy your game and/or grief your players. Not kidding or overstating either. And from the up/down votes these were not unpopular views. Ones defending rolled stats were unpopular views, to put it mildly.
Well, for starters, I've never played in a game that used anything other than rolled stats, or even considered not using rolled stats: the randomization of character traits is an assumed part of the game in my experience. In years of playing 3.x, there was a single, solitary session when we decided we needed to represent what was going on with a grid and mini stand-ins: every other session was Theatre if the Mind. 4E tying the rules so hard into grid play, which was in 3.x but never used by us, was jarring. 5E's assumptions about TotM match my 3.x experience to a Tee, while online I got the impression that everyone was doing stat point buy and using minis. Other things, really, but those stand out.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think the issue is why the elemental cults are not a good fit for Ravenloft. I would say, it's because they aren't particularly disturbing.
Plus, as I was saying, it's not personal evil. An individual cultist--maybe someone who is using their power over the elements to punish people they don't like, like making the earth swallow people up, or spying on people through their hearthfires--would be cool. And yes, disturbing.

Remove ads

Remove ads