• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

per WotC they found out during their extensive research during the 5E playtest that rolled stats and TotM are far more common
Did they? More common than array/PB or just more common than though? I'm skeptical they did find that out, but the D&D Next playtest was hardcore target-marketed at grogs (right down to the questions asked in surveys), and the "Apology edition" angle meant you had to bring back a bunch of 2E-isms. Not that I'm unhappy re: either (though I do feel rolled is poorly-supported) because I prefer TotM myself.

Either way I suspect a survey of current 5E players will find rolled stats pretty rare, though I honestly have no idea re: TotM vs grid.
We found 3Eplayable with TotM, but I think it was partly force of will and in hindsight my friends importing 2E-isms from their Middle School experience to make it flow properly. Based on the RAW of 3E, the mini-centric approach of 4E was a pretty logical extension but boy did it clash with our style.
I hear this! If it wasn't for 3E basically battering us until we grudgingly started using maps and "minis" (I got a 1" hole-punch and made zillions of counters from coloured paper with writing on them, everyone loved it actually), I doubt we'd have accepted 4E D&D it at all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did they? More common than array/PB or just more common than though? I'm skeptical they did find that out, but the D&D Next playtest was hardcore target-marketed at grogs (right down to the questions asked in surveys), and the "Apology edition" angle meant you had to bring back a bunch of 2E-isms. Not that I'm unhappy re: either (though I do feel rolled is poorly-supported) because I prefer TotM myself.

Either way I suspect a survey of current 5E players will find rolled stats pretty rare, though I honestly have no idea re: TotM vs grid.

I hear this! If it wasn't for 3E basically battering us until we grudgingly started using maps and "minis" (I got a 1" hole-punch and made zillions of counters from coloured paper with writing on them, everyone loved it actually), I doubt we'd have accepted 4E D&D it at all.
Given the astronomical growth of the game in the past few years, I'm sure not taking any bets about what's most popular on most things, that's for sure.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

I think AL probably applies steady pressure towards grid since it's so often run in FLGS shops who like being able to sell the battlemats & minis. The shop I've been running AL games at for a few years now usually had about 6-8 tables on AL night & 3-5 on the whatever night ()there was also a a couple other nights for stuff plus the various very regular card game events. Covid knocked down those table counts a bit but they are starting to recover.

I don't know if I ever really saw a battlemat or anything more developed than graph paper in 2e & for most of my 3.x experience but now there's a generation of gamers who pretty much only saw it with battlemats & pretty decent quality minis. I much prefer using minis & once I switched to tvbox+arkenforge find that the downsides of carting a zillion minis around & drawing maps in dry erase went away

So make them disturbing.

What’s disturbing depends on the person.
Absolutely. But there are few people who are likely to be disturbed by the generic fantasy bad guys presented in Princes of the Apocalypse. Don't come across many cases of lithophobia.

You might rework them, perhaps leaning into the idea that cosmic horror Tharizdun is behind it all, but by the time you have done that it's pretty close to unrecognisable.

Often, people find things more disturbing if it is closer to something familiar, so making your cults closer to real world cults is likely to be more effective if you are trying to give them the willies.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads