D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

Okay, nothing about playing in that ever made that clear. That seems like a rather serious flaw if I can't tell if something is a single domain with multiple lords, or multiple domains with single lords.

I don't think this is a design flaw. player characters are not necessarily meant to be aware of domains and domain boundaries unless it is relevant. I mean on the core you might know, because they tend to fall on political boundaries. But in the scenario you mention, it was either something that simply didn't come up, or the GM didn't do a good enough job conveying details of the setting (not familiar enough with the burning peaks to say what the problem was).

And no amount of free range territory is going to stop railroading.
It discourages it though. If the GM is hellbent on railroading, yes little can be done. But when I was still learning how to GM, the players deciding to up and go to mordent shook me out of railroading very quickly actually. I had to learn how to adapt when they went and did things I hadn't planned for

Chaosmancer

Legend
But having individual islands of terror (which basically all that is being done here to the domains) is just as ham fisted and obvious, and dull over time. If every place I go is an island I have to escape from: that premise will bore me to tears eventually. My whole point about the mists earlier, and about entrapment in general, is these are things you should use sparingly, not all the time. Structuring the campaign setting so that is destined to happen at every location, frankly seems like a horrible idea to me.

And I think this is a major problem you seem to have that I don't understand.

Why do you think making them islands means that every place is going to have the same concept of "I must escape this island?". If you want to do that, I think this makes it easier. All the Core seems to do is make each place seem less like a prison tailored made to torture a bad person and more like a whole bunch of bad people just happen to live in the same region.

My point is they are blending Vlad the Impaler with the concept of a highly militarized domain. Personally I think that is a great backdrop for horror. Obviously if you just try to achieve that by saying "they live in a military dictatorship ruled by endless war" that isn't going to work. If, on the other hand, you run a political campaign (and Ravenloft lends itself well to politics) where they must survive being in Drakov's court or inner circle --I ran something like this once---it can be truly terrifying. And there plenty of other concepts that can work in Falkovnia for horror adventures. My advice is read the entry on Falkovnia from domains of dread or black box. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. All I can do is report my reaction to it to you, and I think it is a pretty good domain.

Dude, you are the one who described it to me as "a military dictatorship ruled by endless war". I know less than nothing about this place, and that is how you presented it. So when I responded that that doesn't seem very horrific, well, it seems obviously not, because now you are saying that of course that isn't very horrific, which is why the domain is so much more than that.

Do you see the problem? Heck, you did it again in just this post. Vlad the Impaler already lived in an highly militarized country. That is why he is famous for his defense of his country in war. "Highly Militarized" isn't torture, it isn't human experimentation, it isn't racism and slavery. All things other people are telling me are part of this domain. That makes a huge difference.

I am not really following how this connects to what I said

You said the new book is ignoring the trope. Half of the leaked examples from the new book are that trope. So, how are they ignoring it? What more do you want? Not all of them, because you said that was boring. So... why claim they are ignoring the trope?

Again, I think this really needs to be restated: GMs were pretty discouraged from making their campaigns all about dark lords. And in practice making them about dark lords just wasn't the best thing because it got old so fast. The Van Richten books were very much about making the heart of play other monsters, and about making Generic Vampire #56 into a unique, fleshed out, compelling and difficult to defeat opponent (and this was just an elaboration of concepts laid out in the black boxed set). This is really important to understanding what made classic ravenloft work. If you reduce ravenloft to battles with dark lords, you really are missing out on what makes the setting tick.

But again, the Van Richtem tool set is not labeled with "for use in Ravenloft only, do not take to other settings"

Sure, that is great that they provided those tools, and they sound like great tools, but the draw of Ravenloft isn't that you can make a super unique and compelling Vampire. The draw of Ravenloft if that it has a super unique and compelling Vampire in the figure of Strahd.

I think you have completely meshed the tool set and the setting, because you are an old fan who got the tool set for the setting and have been using them together for years, but I'm not. And so saying "but the Van Richten books allowed me to make great monsters" doesn't sell me on Ravenloft. It doesn't even sell me on Van Richten, because I'd have to convert those 2e books anyways. This is a breakdown in communication, you are telling me about a 2e toolset and trying to sell me on a 2e story.

I have been responding to your posts clearly. My aim wasn't to provide you with a complete description of Falkovnia, it was to reply to your posts. Someone said it wasn't horrific, so I mentioned the undead armies returning from attacking Falkovnia. That is why I brought that up. I didn't bring it up to give an overview of the domain. Besides, I mentioned the torture and slavery elsewhere (and a number of posters gave very complete descriptions of falkovnia in the course of the discussion)

I'm the one who said it wasn't horrifying, because all I was told was

1) Always going to war
2) Lord was a misogynist who hated losing
3) If he invaded this wizard guy then his soldiers were turned to zombies and attacked their living brethren.

All of that taken together... isn't horrific. The torture, the slavery, the experimentation, that all is horrific, and none of it was mentioned until later, or if it was I didn't connect it to this place of war.

I fully believe that you think you are being perfectly clear, but you aren't to me, because I keep getting more and more turned around in what you want to say except that islands are bad because they will always be used for entrapment, and Ravenloft is your favorite setting. And since the first thing isn't true, all you seem to be doing is wanting to tell us how you've run all of these successful campaigns in this setting and you love it.

But I do think you should at least take a look at the original material because it sounds like you are going off completely second hand information and that you don't have a clear idea about what it was trying to do.

Was the fact that I told you I had no idea about the setting, not enough to let you know I was going off second hand information? I'm trying to ask questions to clarify what the problem is, but it just seems to be that you think making them islands somehow makes them more isolated when it seems they were already incredibly isolated.

Making them islands doesn't seem to have changed anything, except the method of travel through the mists. And that doesn't seem to be a big deal in any way.

Chaosmancer

Legend
But that sounds like the problem is the GM. I mean you say the GM was hellbent on running it this way, and you guys were not enjoying it. Look, I think part of the issue is the gm. It is possible ravenloft isn't to your taste. But it is also likely the domains. I mean the burning peaks is one of my least favorite. Some people like it, so it is just my opinion. But I don't think I ever set an adventure there, because it just never clicked for me. I would much rather set a campaign in the kartakass-sithicus-forlorn-barovia region.

When you say domains of dread what do you mean? I am asking because there seems to be confusion around the term. To me it just means the Domains of Dread book for 2nd edition (which did contain the burning peaks domain). But just asking for clarity as it seems to have other meanings in post 4E cosmology.

Yes... I was saying it was a problem with the GM. Letting you know that I seemed to have been led into a scenario that was not accurate to how it was supposed to be depicted. Since you seem to keep assuming my knowledge, I wanted to clarify.

And, as far as I am aware "Domains of Dread" is the name of the places we are talking about. The area ruled by the Dark Powers. Ravenloft is the setting name, but it is also Strahd's castle, so it always feels like calling it that is asking for confusion. Just like I sometimes refer to Faerun or Oerth instead of Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.

I don't see this as a problem. I mean if you don't want to go on the adventure, I am happy not to make you go. My job as a GM is to give you a compelling reason to venture into Barovia. I might also, occasionally use entrapment as a tool. But I honestly much prefer that to flow naturally from the choices players make ("If we hadn't gone into the castle to rescue Van Richten, we wouldn't be trapped here !")

And if you have a compelling reason to go there... then it doesn't matter if it is an island, a country, or a star. you've created a hook to draw us there. The lands being islands would change none of that, except that you are less likely to randomly stumble upon a place, then turn around and walk away.

And I think this is a major problem you seem to have that I don't understand.

Why do you think making them islands means that every place is going to have the same concept of "I must escape this island?". If you want to do that, I think this makes it easier. All the Core seems to do is make each place seem less like a prison tailored made to torture a bad person and more like a whole bunch of bad people just happen to live in the same region.
The core doesn't do this at all. These are still domains that imprison the dark lords. Strahd can't just wander into Borca. There is an enormous meta plot with Azalin trying to go to extraordinary lengths to escape from his prison. If you like having dark lords as your adventure, which you say you do, this interconnectedness of the core, gives you ample tools for that.

And if you have a compelling reason to go there... then it doesn't matter if it is an island, a country, or a star. you've created a hook to draw us there. The lands being islands would change none of that, except that you are less likely to randomly stumble upon a place, then turn around and walk away.

In practice this isn't how it tended to work. Players are not just stumbling into Barovia (they hear about it and go there for some specific reason usually: it is one of the purposes adventure hooks serve)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Maybe this sounds meta to you and that is the problem, but if I saw the sign "welcome to Barovia" and I don't want to deal with Strahd and Barovia? Then I leave.
There's lots to do in Barovia without ever touching Strahd. Off the top of my head, the Ba'al Vezri and the Red Vardo Trading Company, and racial tensions between the native Barovians and the Gundarakites. And Vallaki--at least pre-CoS--was described as being full of arcane secrets.

And I think... here is the bigger thing I guess. Each domain is unique, it has its own flavor, purpose, ect. Not as a cohesive whole, like say, the Five Kingdoms of Eberron, but each is designed to be the personal torment for one person.
Yes. That's actually it, exactly.

So, if I wanted to run a campaign set in the ancient egypt domain, dealing with the threats and challenges of that location.... why would I want the party to hear about the dark forests of Barovia and try and go there?
You wouldn't have to let them hear about it. Unless some of the players decided they wanted to be from Barovia or thereabouts, of course. The Core and the Amber Wastes are separated by both physical distance and by the Mists, and I imagine the same will be true in the 5e books.

That has nothing to do with the campaign I'm trying to run. This is the same issue I have with "planar" campaigns. Unless I am very specifically running a "Gazeteer" style campaign where I am planning on us seeing a lot of different places, then going to so many different places with such different tones is jarring and upsets the game.
Most of the Domains--outside of those pocket Domains brought up earlier--are fairly large. Like, many towns with miles of space between them.

The difference between the Domains is usually not very jarring until you really start looking into it. It's generally not a case of Romania sharing a border with Egypt. It's more like... As an example, the people in Barovia are oppressed by their superstitions. They're terrified of the things that go bump in the night. As one book put it, a Barovian mother wouldn't open the door at night even to save her own screaming child, because of her fear of the wolves and other monsters. Right next door is Borca. Those people are also oppressed, but by the horrible taxes they must pay for nearly everything they do or need. They don't fear wolves, they fear that the seemingly perfect grain they just harvested is actually a deadly poison.

How do Dark Lords from Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance share a culture? Those three places are very difference from each other. How are they sharing a language (except that DnD has traditionally just made languages multiversal for ease of play)
They don't. For one thing, the cultures between Domains is usually different. Often not radically so, but there is a difference. The Gazetteers did a good job with the cultures.

Also, they don't share languages. There are numerous different human languages, and no Common. Balok is spoken in Barovia, Borca, and some other countries. Mordentish, which is divided into Low and High Mordentish, is spoken in Mordent, Dementlieu, and Richemulot, and dialects are spoken elsewhere, such as in Souragne. Vaasi is spoken in Nova Vaasa and Hazlin. Some languages are only spoken in one country, like Lamordian and Falkovnian.

Was the fact that I told you I had no idea about the setting, not enough to let you know I was going off second hand information? I'm trying to ask questions to clarify what the problem is, but it just seems to be that you think making them islands somehow makes them more isolated when it seems they were already incredibly isolated.

Making them islands doesn't seem to have changed anything, except the method of travel through the mists. And that doesn't seem to be a big deal in any way.

Look at the map links I shared with you and you can see clearly what I am talking about. If you make them islands of terror, they are isolated domains floating in the mist. Traveling via the mists, even in iterations of Ravenloft where it is more feasible, is no simple undertaking. To say the least. It is much easier to travel from one domain to another that is part of the core, than it is to go from place to place among the islands of terror

Chaosmancer

Legend
It discourages it though. If the GM is hellbent on railroading, yes little can be done. But when I was still learning how to GM, the players deciding to up and go to mordent shook me out of railroading very quickly actually. I had to learn how to adapt when they went and did things I hadn't planned for

Then you are far more open minded than most people. Faerun is huge, and people railroad in it all the time. More connected land =/= discouraging railroading

Stop putting words in my mouth. I will not continue communicating with you if you do this

Look, dude, it is 1 AM and I've been struggling to catch up on all of these responses for hours. Just flat out accusing me of things isn't going to make me know what the heck you are talking about.

Should I not have said you were the one who told me about the military dictatorship?

Was it the comment that you seem to hate the idea of these new island shaped domains?

Was it about the Van Richten tools that I keep saying seem to be generic enough that I don't see how they are adding value to the 5e Ravenloft book unless I want to do a lot of work?

What did I say to offend you, because just saying I offended you doesn't tell me anything.

The core doesn't do this at all. These are still domains that imprison the dark lords. Strahd can't just wander into Borca. There is an enormous meta plot with Azalin trying to go to extraordinary lengths to escape from his prison. If you like having dark lords as your adventure, which you say you do, this interconnectedness of the core, gives you ample tools for that.

How? How does the interconnectedness do anything for that? You make a claim then you don't back it up, seeming to think it is self-evident. If Strahd can't go to Borca then why does it matter if Borca is a flat plan, a floating island in the sky or on the other end of the world?

What is the point of putting them next to each other?

Remove ads

Remove ads