• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EWP Bastard Sword (silly)

Magic Slim

First Post
Let's take this scenario: Greg the human wizard just reached 3rd level. He has a Str of 13. He picks up EWP(Bastard Sword). Greg can now swing a Bastard Sword in one hand. Can he swing the Bastard Sword in 2 hands without penalty, or does he suffer a -4 penalty for not being proficient with it?

Thanks in advance

Slim

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I would not apply the nonproficiency penalty.Someone proficient in the one-handed longsword can choose to swing it two-handed, to do extra damage; I'd treat your wizard example the same way.

orbitalfreak

First Post
You don't need to factor in a non-proficiency penalty in this case. Any weapon you are proficient in using one-handed can be used two handed. Thus, if you are one-handed-proficient in a Bastard Sword, you can use it in two hands without penalty.

Corwin

Explorer
If I were DM, I wouldn't let him take it.

EWP (Bastard Sword or Waraxe) is, IMO, taking your skill with the weapon past two-handed proficiency and into one-handed 'mastery'. I wouldn't let you skip the first step.

So if you want it, first you need to be proficient in it as a Martial Weapon.

This weapon (and feat) is, to me anyway, a perk for fighter types who may want to upgrade damage a bit. To let a non-warrior type skip to the front of the class for the same expenditure on only one feat is unfair, IMO.

That's my take on it.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Corwin said:

EWP (Bastard Sword or Waraxe) is, IMO, taking your skill with the weapon past two-handed proficiency and into one-handed 'mastery'. I wouldn't let you skip the first step.

That is a fine house rule. But the rules as wriiten do not require Martial Weapon Proficiency as a prerequisite for Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Corwin

Explorer
Camarath said:
That is a fine house rule. But the rules as wriiten do not require Martial Weapon Proficiency as a prerequisite for Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Wow, you picked up on all those subtle, cryptic references to "if I were DM", "to me anyway" and the various "IMO"s. How sharp of you. :rolleyes:

;)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
AuraSeer said:
I would not apply the nonproficiency penalty.Someone proficient in the one-handed longsword can choose to swing it two-handed, to do extra damage; I'd treat your wizard example the same way.
Hm. Good enough for me. :)

- 'course, I wanted to allow it but couldn't quite explain why it should be allowed Darkness

Xorial

First Post
Corwin said:

This weapon (and feat) is, to me anyway, a perk for fighter types who may want to upgrade damage a bit. To let a non-warrior type skip to the front of the class for the same expenditure on only one feat is unfair, IMO.

That's my take on it.
It's not letting a nonwarrior skip to the head of the line. A non-warrior is getting proficient in just one weapon. He also has to have a +1 BAB to take this feat, so he has some combat experience. Being smart enough to want to have a little more ummf in your attack shouldnt be penalized.

smetzger

Explorer
Corwin said:
Wow, you picked up on all those subtle, cryptic references to "if I were DM", "to me anyway" and the various "IMO"s. How sharp of you. :rolleyes:

;)

And you picked up on the subtle reference that this is the Rules Forum and _not_ the House Rules forum.

Remove ads